Noobie female driver. --- "Key turns but the engine doesn't crank."

Aina24

Hello car enthusiasts. 

I've been driving an older model Ford Laser for the past year. I've had no serious issues until recently...
Every time I turn the key, I hear a click but the engine doesn't crank. Sometimes I have to fiddle around with it, then the engine eventually starts after 15 - 30 seconds. 

Initially, I thought it was a starter motor problem. I paid a technician to clean the components and he replaced the solenoid, brushes and coils inside.

I assumed the issue was fixed since the engine cranked up every time I turn the key after the starter motor components were fixed. How ever after driving around for two weeks the same problem came back. This morning  I turn the key and hear the 'click' noise but the engine doesn't crank 1st time, until I fiddle around with it and finally after 15-30 seconds the engine cranks and fires up. 

Question: What do you think the problem is? I appreciate any help/advice ???? 

Edited by Aina24

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds like it might be your ignition wiring, you may need to have the ignition system looked at.  

Do you think I should get the ignition switched replaced? If so, how much do you think it would cost?

Edited by Aina24

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Define "fiddle around".

Whatever you do, it seems to make a difference.

I leave the key without turning it for 15 - 30 seconds then try cranking it again. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't..

Single loudish click or a multiple clicking noise? If the first then the starter is still a problem. Rebuilt starters can be a bit hit and miss here. If the latter then its a battery issue. Either a bad connection or a low battery. If its a new battery then maybe the alternator is on the way out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warrima said:

Single loudish click or a multiple clicking noise? If the first then the starter is still a problem. Rebuilt starters can be a bit hit and miss here. If the latter then its a battery issue. Either a bad connection or a low battery. If its a new battery then maybe the alternator is on the way out. 

Single click when the engine is suppose to crank, but doesn't... I have 3 months warranty so I can take it back in for an inspection.. Do you think it's the ignition switch? I do plan to get it checked, but  I'm also asking for help/advice for my own curiosity ????

Edited by Aina24

Are you sure the new battery is getting charged?

Trying turning your headlights on when this happens and check how bright they are.

I would check the alternator is functioning correctly at a reputable garage (if such a thing exists)

8 minutes ago, Aina24 said:

Single click when the engine is suppose to crank, but doesn't... I have 3 months warranty so I can take it back in for an inspection.. Do you think it's the ignition switch? I do plan to get it checked, but  I'm also asking for help/advice for my own curiosity

Cant say ive ever had an issue with the ignition switch - had plenty of solenoids, starters and alternators fail though. In my uni days i kept a brush shaft in the boot of the car - so i could hit the starter with it - sometimes jumps it into action. 

I had a similar problem many years ago back in the states. 

Try having someone turn the key while you listen under the hood.  There is usually a relay switch that will click when it engages (or doesn't engage) the starter motor.  It will probably be a small plug-in plastic module that you can replace for a couple of hundred baht.  In my car it was located close to the battery.

29 minutes ago, warrima said:

Cant say ive ever had an issue with the ignition switch - had plenty of solenoids, starters and alternators fail though. In my uni days i kept a brush shaft in the boot of the car - so i could hit the starter with it - sometimes jumps it into action. 

Lol, I used to keep a long metal screwdriver which I could use to short the battery + terminal directly to the starter motor + terminal..... lots of sparks but it worked.  The car only cost $100 and I once got marooned for 2 days in Oxford as I tried to fix an engine problem (I was a student - no money for a car mechanic).  Great times ????

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

(I was a student - no money for a car mechanic).  Great times ????

Yup. On the same car with the dodgy starter (trusty peugeot 405) i went through a period of about 6 months remembering always to park it on a slight hill so i could bump start it. 

Just now, warrima said:

Yup. On the same car with the dodgy starter (trusty peugeot 405) i went through a period of about 6 months remembering always to park it on a slight hill so i could bump start it. 

Ha! same here....6V battery in a VW Beetle......absolute nightmare.....always had to rent apartments on a hill and go to pubs on a hill.....very stressful.

Just now, warrima said:

Ha! same here....6V battery in a VW Beetle......absolute nightmare.....always had to rent apartments on a hill and go to pubs on a hill.....very stressful.

• Haha 1

When fixing/replacing a starter, get a rebuilt one with a warranty or guarantee. Don't get the mechanic to fix it because they usually don't have the proper test equipment to determine all the parts that need to be fixed.

The starter's bearings maybe worn and doesn't allow the starter to align properly to the engine. The casing may have been bent, have you hit something recently?

Take it to a Ford dealer, and ensure you get a warranty stating the problem has been fixed properly.

Start with the basics.

Start at the battery and work backwards

Remove and clean both battery connection, make sure the battery is fully charged.

Make sure the GROUND to the body of the vehicle is clean and firmly tightened.

Make sure the power lead to the starter is clean and tight

Make sure the ground on the starter is clean and tight.

Make sure the cables are in good shape and not shorting out.

Remove and check the connection of the fuse's in the fuse box.

Have some one competent check the integrity of the wiring harness. One small nick and short in the insulation could be doing it

Do these things before you start changing components

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bamboozled said:

loose or dirty/corroded battery connections. Take them off, clean them up, re-tighten.

That's the first place to start - - especially since you indicate that the battery itself is good.  Check for a loose battery connection.  If you try to twist them they should not move around the terminals - - if they do they are too loose and not making a good connection.   Ditto if they are visibly corroded.

UPDATE! 
I went back to the auto-repair shop since I'm still under warranty. The technician took a quick inspection and realized the relay was faulty (wat-ever-that-is). He popped the hood up and worked his magic for a while. A few moments later, I turn the key and "" VROOM VROOM"" starts up perfectly ???? 

Thanks for everyone's kind support, help and advice. You'll definitely be hearing from me again soon I'm sure 555

• Like 2

When the key clicks and engine doesn't crank, this normally means flat battery.

BUT it wouldn't recover and start in the end and you say the battery is new?

So - it still could be that there is not enough power getting to the starter motor.

Before investing in any new parts, you or your mechanic should check  the wiring terminals between the battery and the starter motor.

Especially the terminals on the battery. It is possible they are not making a proper contact - this could change whilst you are turning the key as they might warm up and improve connection. Battery terminal can appear quite tight but in Reality are not making good contact and thus not allowing enough power to the starter motor.

• Haha 1