Help Young Expat Hit with Stage 4 Cancer

webfact

38 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Perhaps it's my age, but "Young Expat" to me would be a kid, a teen or at most in early 20s. But 36?

Relative to me he is a child. ????

Anyway, hope the treatment is successful and he recovers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenr said:

How does Thai insurance not cover cancer treatment ?

From (again) the linked GoFundMe page:

The cost of medical care is significantly less in Thailand than it would be in the U.S., however, the Thai insurance system does not cover cancer treatments. Sam is facing an extraordinary challenge with medical bills as he gets very little support from his Thai health insurance.

A guess -- and only a guess -- might be that the bulk of his treatment costs are on an outpatient basis and his insurance (that of very little support) only covers inpatient costs.

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Thai social security insurance is only available for those who are working if their employer has applied for it.  It must be initiated by the employer and then offered to employees.  Even then, it is not given to all employees, which should be the case, but sadly isn't.  The insurance industry in Thailand is a money-making racket for insurance companies.  It is poorly supervised and regulated.

Never knew it was "insurance".

would have to be an A-Hole employer to not sign up their employee's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Sad and unlucky, naturally I hope he gets the help he needs.That said, what makes him any more needy than the other patients in that hospital or any other for that matter, because he got publicity?

Seem someone paid to advertise go fund me on this site a few days ago, when i clicked on what i thought was a story i was warned ''go back to safety'' so i did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Strikes me as odd that a mate would be in a hospital, bed-side to a cancer patient without a mask.

Even odder that according to the article he was a a druggie in 2010 and "being sober for the last 12 years" indicates he was also an alcoholic.  Is his condition related to those two or was coming to Thailand an escape from reality of his previous life and now people are expected to contribute to his welfare ?  I am not a medical person but on face value I find it odd they/he are looking for a quarter of a million to last him 36 months when he has brain and lung cancer if that is the actual diagnosis. I would have thought 6 months would be the most likely for this poor chap but open to a real medical professional to advice otherwise.

Edited by Excel
  • Thanks 1

It can happen to any expat living Thailand but most think it will never happen.

I am desperate to come to live in Thailand but as i am a uk cancer patient although now under control with lots of past medication my annual insurance including past health history would be £4,500.

• Confused 1

It's sad but this is why we have insurance.

There is no stage 5 cancer. I always thought 4 was the end of the road.

My wifes step father had cancer, treated at a local hospital on the 30 Baht scheme. He was written off, my daughter and wife went to see hin as he'd stopped eating. He was emaciated.

While they were there I said to the wife "can we get a 2nd opinion". 30k baht later he was fit as a fiddle. 3 years on he is active and healthy and getting by on 6 monthly visits. Its kept in check with some sort of hormone treatment but itll get him in the end.

Life is cheap here.

I hope the guy recovers. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Thai SS would cover him completely. However a foreigner must pay into the system for at least 3 years (it might be 5 now) before it can be used.

Do you have to do that through employment or can you just pay direct.....any idea of cost?

Just wondering if this could a reasonable alternative to health insurance.

Cheers.

Started a new account just to comment on this…

Honestly I’m appalled at how many Farangs that live/ travel here don’t have adequate insurance coverage and once anything goes wrong, turn to “Go fund me” to ask the public to take responsibility for them.

Next, there’s so many questions unanswered:- 

1. Why doesn’t he fly back to the USA to seek treatment? I’m sure that he has insurance back home?

2. His employer sounds good and all but doesn’t it provide a full range insurance that covers cancer? Seems like he chose Private over public?

3. So he has built an incredible network of friends, which I’m sure will chip in right? I mean what’s the point of adding this in?

4. The page doesn’t state the chances of survival after incurring all these medical costs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wombat said:

They have advertised they should pay

It's far from that simple.  The website states that they "offer PMI", it does not state what is covered by the policy or that it will pay for all treatment for every condition, without limit or conditions.  

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the Nimble 'recruitment' page:

WHY WORK WITH US
A SELECTION OF WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER:

Private Medical Insurance & Social Welfare

https://jobs.nimblehq.co/?source=nimblehq.co

Good sleuthing...and I hope in parallel he uses some of that Go Fund Me booty to pay for a lawyer to sue his company for failing to provide what they promised...

...and Nimble's reputation just took a hit...

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Strikes me as odd that a mate would be in a hospital, bed-side to a cancer patient without a mask.

Strikes me as odd that a cancer patient would be in a hospital bed without a mask and a mate bed-side.

Having said that, you do know how "effective" masks are, yes?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DLock said:

Good sleuthing...and I hope in parallel he uses some of that Go Fund Me booty to pay for a lawyer to sue his company for failing to provide what they promised...

God-awful sleuthing.  What did the company, or the insurer's policy promise?

Edited by Liverpool Lou