Do you think a lot of new Expats will move to Thailand once the Pandemic becomes Endemic?

SiamAndy

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

No.

I expect western countries to tighten the grip on expats. I fully expect anything government related will NOT be paid out to non residents in near future. 

That day is coming.

Brit government wants to raise the state pension age to 70.

I suspect there won't be state pensions for anyone in the future (next 10-20 years).

Work until you drop ..........................

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Definitely agree with the sentiment that the government is hampering the countries future.  Many of my wife's Thai friends back home are looking to give up their positions as nurses, doctors, and physical therapists in the healthcare sector from her University faculty, in hopes of going abroad and working instead.  My impression is that they feel like Thailand is a lost cause and relatively hopeless until the older generation fades into the sunset.  There is strong support for the countries elite in that group with special interests that they don't intend to relinquish.  They've had a lifetime of respecting their rulers for better or for worse.

My wife and I still talk about going back and retiring to Thailand, but a pre-condition of that is a change in the government for the better.  There is too much uncertainty in this current group and policies that seem to be getting more difficult/restrictive and not the other way around.

• Thanks 1

no, pandemic, insurance, tests and possible quarantine, only hinders tourism.

For expats already living here and those planning to resettle here, travelling is not a big issue at all.

Once fully vaxed, and with thailand pass since november, practically can move anywhere easily.

But airfare is up within the last 3 weeks. I have just checked prices to europe for end of April and my favourite airlines and destinations are 30-100% up. That would certainly slow intercontinental air traffic. Would cut by half those planning for this year, unless prices drop to a reasonable level

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Very few. Tens of thousands are leaving. 

A friend of mine uses a foreign lawyer in Bangkok, who is one of the top attorneys around. He said his office cannot find enough hours in the day to meet with expats who are leaving, with their Thai spouse or family, and dealing with legal aspects of real estate, businesses, and wills for their remaining Thai families, properties, etc. 

He said he has never seen anything like it, in the 30 years he has been in practice here. 

Millions of young Thais are trying to find a way out too. Woe is Thailand. Where is the hope for the future? 

The dinosaur creeps are moving this nation backwards at a breakneck pace. Truly regressive reptilian leadership.

I understand that you dislike the present government, but your hatred for them is not born out in the reality of life such as I experienced when living in LOS. Certainly not as bad as when Thaksin was in charge. That really was a low point for LOS IMO.

If expats want to leave that is up to them, but IMO they won't find it any better when they get back to where they belong. Doesn't matter how bad it gets in LOS, it can't be worse than where I am now, and at least it's hot there.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I suspect there won't be state pensions for anyone in the future (next 10-20 years).

However, I doubt the MPs will restrict their own lucrative pension arrangements.

I wonder how they will react when they count up how many votes they will lose by doing so? At least in NZ we get the opportunity to give them the boot every 3 years, which constrains the real insanity they want to inflict on us.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

What happens when someone points out that National Insurance is for the pension, not the general spending pot?

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I understand that you dislike the present government, but your hatred for them is not born out in the reality of life such as I experienced when living in LOS. Certainly not as bad as when Thaksin was in charge. That really was a low point for LOS IMO.

If expats want to leave that is up to them, but IMO they won't find it any better when they get back to where they belong. Doesn't matter how bad it gets in LOS, it can't be worse than where I am now, and at least it's hot there.

I dislike the present government immensely. I do not like seeing what they are doing to the Thais. It does not have much of a direct effect on our lives. And to be clear, we lead very nice lives here. 

I suppose if I had unlimited finances, I would probably leave. It does feel like the nation is moving backwards. But, considering the fact that I do not have a fortune, I will stay. There are many issues to consider. Going back to the US is not an option. I would not want to live there now, unless I was being paid over a million dollars a year, and then I would only do it for 3 years, and then leave. For me, it is about quality of life, and my level of fulfillment on a daily basis, which I seem to have here in abundance. A big factor here, is the relatively light hearted attitude of the people. You just do not find that in the US, where most seem bitter, disenchanted, unfulfilled, and heavy hearted. 

This is an entirely subjective topic, of course. But some of us live very good lives here. Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis, always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely. For me, that likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the culture back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 1 gbps fiber optic connection, at 600 baht per month!), stand up comedy, live jazz, etc. But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there. I was recently back in the US, and the hyper inflation was stunning, and scary. Everything is overpriced. 

In regard to Thaksin, I hated Bush Jr. at the time he was president. Then came Trump. And Jr. seemed like a statesman and a patriot by comparison. I feel the same way about Thaksin. Loathed him at the time. Now, compared to Prayuth he seemed like a stable genius, a highly competent leader and a man who actually cared about the masses. Corrupt? They all are. At least he got stuff done. There is a reason why millions still love him, and only 3500 still support Prayuth.

If Prayuth were sincere, and cared one iota about the people he would resign, and say:

We are very, very sorry. We are stubborn and obstinate men. We have been big bosses for a long time, and been surrounded by yes people. So, it very hard for us to be humble.

But, we have seen the collapse in the export market.

We have seen the utter demise of the tourism industry, that some blame us for.

We have seen that millions are out of work, and we fear this economic meltdown will last many years. Did we cause that? Well, we admit we are at least partly responsible. 

Prayuth has never had any sincere interest in helping the proletariat here. They are the furthest thing from his mind, unless he needed them for an upcoming election. Then, it is only a charade. By comparison, Thaksin actually did things that benefitted the masses, and the elite despised him for that. Yet, all these years later, millions still love and support him. And by comparison, Prayuth is deeply despised by all but 2% of the nation. Why? Because he is the very definition of an empty suit, he and his deeply flawed health minister allowed Covid to spread, with their highly selective economic shutdowns, and their historic vaccine failure. In addition, he has done little to nothing to help his people in their greatest time of need, and he spends his days protecting goons. 

I could go on. Nobody I speak with, nobody I know, no Thais I encounter support him, at this time. All is lost. Woe is Thailand with dinosaurs like these guys in charge.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I dislike the present government immensely. I do not like seeing what they are doing to the Thais. It does not have much of a direct effect on our lives. And to be clear, we lead very nice lives here. 

I suppose if I had unlimited finances, I would probably leave. It does feel like the nation is moving backwards. But, considering the fact that I do not have a fortune, I will stay. There are many issues to consider. Going back to the US is not an option. I would not want to live there now, unless I was being paid over a million dollars a year, and then I would only do it for 3 years, and then leave. For me, it is about quality of life, and my level of fulfillment on a daily basis, which I seem to have here in abundance. A big factor here, is the relatively light hearted attitude of the people. You just do not find that in the US, where most seem bitter, disenchanted, unfulfilled, and heavy hearted. 

This is an entirely subjective topic, of course. But some of us live very good lives here. Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis, always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely. For me, that likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the culture back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 1 gbps fiber optic connection, at 600 baht per month!), stand up comedy, live jazz, etc. But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there. I was recently back in the US, and the hyper inflation was stunning, and scary. Everything is overpriced. 

In regard to Thaksin, I hated Bush Jr. at the time he was president. Then came Trump. And Jr. seemed like a statesman and a patriot by comparison. I feel the same way about Thaksin. Loathed him at the time. Now, compared to Prayuth he seemed like a stable genius, a highly competent leader and a man who actually cared about the masses. Corrupt? They all are. At least he got stuff done. There is a reason why millions still love him, and only 3500 still support Prayuth.

If Prayuth were sincere, and cared one iota about the people he would resign, and say:

We are very, very sorry. We are stubborn and obstinate men. We have been big bosses for a long time, and been surrounded by yes people. So, it very hard for us to be humble.

But, we have seen the collapse in the export market.

We have seen the utter demise of the tourism industry, that some blame us for.

We have seen that millions are out of work, and we fear this economic meltdown will last many years. Did we cause that? Well, we admit we are at least partly responsible. 

Prayuth has never had any sincere interest in helping the proletariat here. They are the furthest thing from his mind, unless he needed them for an upcoming election. Then, it is only a charade. By comparison, Thaksin actually did things that benefitted the masses, and the elite despised him for that. Yet, all these years later, millions still love and support him. And by comparison, Prayuth is deeply despised by all but 2% of the nation. Why? Because he is the very definition of an empty suit, he and his deeply flawed health minister allowed Covid to spread, with their highly selective economic shutdowns, and their historic vaccine failure. In addition, he has done little to nothing to help his people in their greatest time of need, and he spends his days protecting goons. 

I could go on. Nobody I speak with, nobody I know, no Thais I encounter support him, at this time. All is lost. Woe is Thailand with dinosaurs like these guys in charge.

In your opinion what year (era) was the best time to be a thai?

On 3/17/2022 at 6:05 PM, Pravda said:

No.

I expect western countries to tighten the grip on expats. I fully expect anything government related will NOT be paid out to non residents in near future. 

That day is coming.

Oz cuts pensions after 13 weeks os

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah they will only pay in uk. Go overseas you lose it. Oz does that.

Buy bitcoin and small townhouse. Rent it out.

2 hours ago, Grecian said:

In your opinion what year (era) was the best time to be a thai?

Great question. Likely during the reign of Thaksin I. He at least did some things to benefit the people, and is loved for it to this day, by millions. By contrast, there is perhaps 1 or 2% of the population that does not thoroughly despise Prayuth, and his band of clowns. 

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Great question. Likely during the reign of Thaksin I. He at least did some things to benefit the people, and is loved for it to this day, by millions. By contrast, there is perhaps 1 or 2% of the population that does not thoroughly despise Prayuth, and his band of clowns. 

In comparison Mao and Stalin is still remembered and missed among their People. At least remembered since those twos generation starting to fade. 

Yes Thaksin did some few moves that moved big parts of Isan and NoterThailand, but also many of his beneficial packages to the more poor people of the country, rich people in his innercircle got richer by, and he forgot to include some few important powerful people, and stepped on their toes. 

Thaksin was a pure product of Thailand, and corrupt as everyone else. Not to forget the horrible war on drugs, where more innocent people was targeted, than the real sharks behind the drug trafficking. 

pest or kolera or Yin Yang

Edited by Hummin

It's not really the gov't.  When COVID hit, even your "friends" wouldn't get close to you because dirty falang must have COVID.   Lack of education makes matters worse.   Falang will never really feel at home (not in our lifetimes).  It's a good place to unwind, not worry about money, realize getting married and building a house is not a good idea, and simply take it for what it is.  a very long vacation and I'm the tourist (even after 100 years).   Move away?  sure.   not Vietnam, they cracked down on the falang hard.  not Cambodia.  Laos seems sketchy but maybe OK for a short visit (year).  not Philippines.  1st world country.   Austria (not the kangaroo place for those who struggle to find Thailand on a map) definitely seems nice.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 3:28 AM, Iamfalang said:

It's not really the gov't.  When COVID hit, even your "friends" wouldn't get close to you because dirty falang must have COVID.   Lack of education makes matters worse.   Falang will never really feel at home (not in our lifetimes).  It's a good place to unwind, not worry about money, realize getting married and building a house is not a good idea, and simply take it for what it is.  a very long vacation and I'm the tourist (even after 100 years).   Move away?  sure.   not Vietnam, they cracked down on the falang hard.  not Cambodia.  Laos seems sketchy but maybe OK for a short visit (year).  not Philippines.  1st world country.   Austria (not the kangaroo place for those who struggle to find Thailand on a map) definitely seems nice.  

Austria is cold. Not my idea of an ideal place to live. I have been there to go skiing, which is good as lots and lots of snow.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:39 PM, Hummin said:

In comparison Mao and Stalin is still remembered and missed among their People. At least remembered since those twos generation starting to fade. 

Yes Thaksin did some few moves that moved big parts of Isan and NoterThailand, but also many of his beneficial packages to the more poor people of the country, rich people in his innercircle got richer by, and he forgot to include some few important powerful people, and stepped on their toes. 

Thaksin was a pure product of Thailand, and corrupt as everyone else. Not to forget the horrible war on drugs, where more innocent people was targeted, than the real sharks behind the drug trafficking. 

pest or kolera or Yin Yang

People are indeed strange. Mao and Stalin caused the death of millions of their own citizens, but as you say some loved them.

I think that Thaksin was far, far more corrupt than everyone else, and had he carried on IMO he would have bankrupted the country. He profited immensely, but still wants to make more money from Thailand, which says much about his character.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:25 PM, spidermike007 said:

IMO during Leekpai's time as PM. The people seemed a lot happier then than since. Also he was a good man, IMO.

Thaksin's time was marked by division and conflict, so how could it have been a good time for most?

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

People are indeed strange. Mao and Stalin caused the death of millions of their own citizens, but as you say some loved them.

I think that Thaksin was far, far more corrupt than everyone else, and had he carried on IMO he would have bankrupted the country. He profited immensely, but still wants to make more money from Thailand, which says much about his character.

Is like an psychopath in a relationship who get their partner addicted to their love through calculated manipulation make them believe they are the only one who loves them and willing to care for them. 

Common for all of them, they gave the majority of people a hope for change, and majority of the people was poor. Maos landreform is an intersting reading where you take from the rich, and give to the Poor, and thats what thais telling me to , when I ask why they love Thaksin, Thaksin was like Robin Hood they answer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

but apparently you are unhappy because you dislike the government so much it occupies your every waking moment ( going by your posts where you are always lamenting the government ). Some posters are like that with Trump as even after he lost the election they are still fixated on him.

There are ways to overcome being consumed by things one can't change and enjoy the life one has. In the west one might consult a psychologist, but in LOS I guess one has to do it by reading and self help.

Anyway, good luck and maybe one day there will be a government that conforms to your desires ( though I very much doubt that such a beast exists- certainly not for me ).

Nah. Just having too much fun to stop. And if anyone deserves the criticism it is the dinosaurs! 

On 3/18/2022 at 9:25 AM, spidermike007 said:

Since Thaksin left inflation until this recent post covid global uptick was low and wages (official stats) nearly doubled. 

Are you possibly conflating the best time to be thai, which was the day before covid struck and the best time to be you, twenty years younger and young Thai women earning roughly half of what they earn now?

• Thanks 1

We planned to move to Ubon from the states, got waylaid by Covid, and ended up in Mexico instead.

We're still interested in Thailand, but every day that passes here makes us more prone to stay here. I talk to 4 other formerly Thai-bound expats here and they feel the same.

We put in the acculturation time, like the medical situation and the prices, and feel less and less prone to upset this very amenable applecart where the flight home is not a killer and the language is very doable.

And if we could go to Thailand tomorrow, there's still going to be a years-long aftershock in Thai expat lifestyle since so much of it is and will remain closed down and likely be very slow to open up. I'm thinking more along the lines of a long stay rather than residence these days. It has nothing to do with visa's etc. 

Whereas where we are (mountain town north of Mex City) is 100% fine and getting even more American-friendly by the day. We even have passable Thai food.

Edited by LaosLover

On 3/18/2022 at 10:28 PM, Sparktrader said:

Tbl, you live in NZ? Most kiwis live overseas. What does that tell ya? Nz is a hole

Many New Zealanders leave the country to go on their "OE" - overseas experience, where they work for a few years before returning home. It's almost like a rite of passage for many New Zealanders.

Being a small country with just 5 million people means a smallish economy and being so isolated means relatively high costs for imported items and a higher cost of living. This can drive some people away.

While many New Zealanders do seek employment abroad, a good percentage return home. Most New Zealanders are proud of their country and few consider their homeland a hole.