Richard Barrow receives the British Empire Medal (BEM)

webfact

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"We need people like him".

Huh?  What do "we" need him for?  I've never had the need for him in nearly thirty years of being here. 

I don't begrudge him a gong if someone thinks he's deserved it but what has he done that is so remarkable and "needed"?    That is a serious question.

Expand  

It wasn’t so long ago that Thai Wife’s of foreigners were not permitted to own land.... someone paved the way in the shadows applying pressure to make such issues tolerable for many of us.

A couple of years ago these pages were rife with TM30 and TM28 questions and issues...  where are all of those threads now ?... they are much fewer because regulations have softened and they softened because of pressure from the expat community. 

As a result of pressure from the expat community the police have become less corrupt in certain areas... At one point the Thonglor police were a potential concern for many foreigners in the area... where are the police now stopping random foreigners getting them to urinate in cups and emptying their pockets ???...  Did this stop because of negative publicity and pressure from media-active members of the expat community ???

How about carrying our passports ??...  such issues were publicised which forced announcements that we didn’t need to carry our passports, then of course we did have to, then once again we didn’t...

So.. what have people like RB ever done... its easy to sit there and say ’nothing, I don’t see how he’s improved my life’.....   but rethink that next time you are walking down a street and police ride past without stopping you, searching your pockets and asking you to pee in a cup... 

It wasn’t so long ago that Thai Wife’s of foreigners were not permitted to own land.... someone paved the way in the shadows applying pressure to make such issues tolerable for many of us.

That "someone"  sure wasn't Barrow.

"A couple of years ago these pages were rife with TM30 and TM28 questions and issues..."

The blogger didn't sort those out.

"At one point the Thonglor police were a potential concern for many foreigners in the area... where are the police now stopping random foreigners getting them to urinate in cups and emptying their pockets ???".

Barrow can't claim the credit for that, either.

"How about carrying our passports ??...  such issues were publicised which forced announcements that we didn’t need to carry our passports"

And didn't involve Barrow.

"I don’t see how he’s improved my life’.....   but rethink that next time you are walking down a street and police ride past without stopping you, searching your pockets and asking you to pee in a cup..."

How many times has that happened to you?  It's never happened to me, nor the majority of other foreigners. Barrow has not improved my like in any way. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"We need people like him".

Huh?  What do "we" need him for?  I've never had the need for him in nearly thirty years of being here. 

I don't begrudge him a gong if someone thinks he's deserved it but what has he done that is so remarkable and "needed"?    That is a serious question.

Expand  

Thats the difficult part to answer

The question was rhetorical, it didn't need an answer.

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would you ever know that?

Because he doesn't feel the need to write about them.Whether he personally gets stuck into the nightlife, I have no idea.It's entirely his business.

I enjoyed Bernard Trink's coverage of nightlife, not least because it was so enjoyably crazy and way back in the Bangkok World days was always well worth reading (and to honest in those days there weren't the hordes of chunky tattooed "expatriates"  speaking ugly British regional accents.) I prefer not to comment on what has happened to the quality of hostesses since those times.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jayboy said:
45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would you ever know that?

Because he doesn't feel the need to write about them.

That means nothing.  Plenty of people do not document their darkest social life secrets, that doesn't mean that they never had any interest in "entertainment"!

13 hours ago, salsajapan said:

Maybe he got it for being a good propaganda agent... he has been telling for 2 years to people what governments told him to repeat...

he must have the best bonner of his life ! After being paid by "the regime" to travel to UK, he now get a medal...

I can't stop laughing when he was so proud to be on the tarmac with some officials...

all his life he has been chasing that...

My thoughts precisely 

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That "someone"  sure wasn't Barrow.

I have never known a time when that was true. Marriage to a foreigner was never a bar to owning land in Thailand, unless the lady  held duel citizenship and only then if she declared it.  When that was happening Barrow would have been in Junior High. 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You admit to not knowing what RB has done, yet argue what he hasn’t then argue that there was no need to answer.... hmm.....  

I know that he hasn't done anything that you documented that suggested he may have had involvement with.  

1 minute ago, Doctor Tom said:

I have never known a time when that was true. Marriage to a foreigner was never a bar to owning land in Thailand, unless the lady  held duel citizenship and only then if she declared it.  When that was happening Barrow would have been in Junior High. 

Yes, I remember the rumours. They were around at the time I wanted to buy some land for a house, but best of all, it gave me an excuse not to get officially married.

The rumours were just rumours and it was never put into action. This was in 1999, only one year after GFC which Thailand started.

I suspect that the construction company big-wigs, who were hurting, convinced the government not to add to the pain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You have also missed the point.... 

People have ‘acted’ on behalf of the expat community in Thailand for decades...   Embassy staff, consulates, chambers of commerce... more recently journalists and respected bloggers have created an overlap where publicity has influence and they have played a role of influence due to the publicity they bring.....

Improvements to various issues, changes in laws etc are brought about not by one single entity but usually through the influence and pressure from a wider range of influence from the Embassies to trade groups, heads of business to media and social media.... 

Along with others, the publicity RB has brought has an influence over many issues - that influence is obviously variable and cannot be measured....  however, by simply being a public voice some in positions of decision making power are aware of, their decisions may be influenced and in doing so, that is of benefit to many of us, even when those improvements are imperceptible to some who only moan about the increasing price of beer. 

Perhaps if RB publicised the ridiculousness booze bans some of his detractors may be happier with him !

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You are wrong with your statement (from personal experience).. You need to research the subject more, then come back with a correct statement.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

You are wrong with your statement (from personal experience).. You need to research the subject more, then come back with a correct statement.

My Thai wife bought 2 farms in 1997, while married to me?  

10 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:
22 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/spouses-thailand-property-ownership-19300

Never been a fan of this guy with his moaning and Thai bashing.

He just can't accept that he isn't treated here in Thailand as he is back home. His dissociative personality is fed by his Colonial pride, lunch with Diplomats, in conjunction with teaching at a Thai high school. These types will never assimilate in a developing country.

Instead of moaning about paying the normal price and not getting the local discount, he could become a citizen; not hard as he's been working for 28 years and has influential friends that normal expats don't. 

I have often wondered the relationship he has with the British Ambassador, must be something masonic-like. Rather ironic as he's the first to complain about Thai Nepotism and Cronyism. 

• Haha 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:
14 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:
27 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Expand  

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/spouses-thailand-property-ownership-19300

The point is that improvements for foreigners have been made, not because Thailand wants to change things but because of pressure..... 

This pressure has many forms as explained enough times already.... RB is one facet of this pressure and with increasing publicity he brings so increases the pressure. 

So, while he cannot be highlighted as single handedly impacting change he carries a degree of publicity and therefor influence which can help impact change.....   for example, publicising the Article 37 petition, publicising police behaviour in Thonglor 8 years ago, publicising and pushing back against dual pricing....  

Some people are clearly out of touch and unaware of the work carried to counter these issues - their ignorance of such is not a very cleaver argument to suggest no work has been carried out. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

The point is that improvements for foreigners have been made, not because Thailand wants to change things but because of pressure..... 

This pressure has many forms as explained enough times already.... RB is one facet of this pressure and with increasing publicity he brings so increases the pressure. 

So, while he cannot be highlighted as single handedly impacting change he carries a degree of publicity and therefor influence which can help impact change.....   for example, publicising the Article 37 petition, publicising police behaviour in Thonglor 8 years ago, publicising and pushing back against dual pricing....  

Some people are clearly out of touch and unaware of the work carried to counter these issues - their ignorance of such is not a very cleaver argument to suggest no work has been carried out. 

So we can expect the end of double pricing now due to Barrow moaning about it, what has Barrow's pressure ever changed?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Are you talking about the mandate in 1939 from Paw Piboonsongkram that says, 

"Thai people must never buy land on behalf of foreigners"?

Or maybe he's not that old and you're referring to the Nationality act of 1992, whic allowed Thai women to have two nationalities.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So helpful I never saw any of it.

I've heard the name before on this forum, but never in real life while living in LOS.

While she lives I doubt the name of the medal will change as when she was born it did indeed exist. That it has come to the stage where Britain can't even make it's own planes to put on the new aircraft carrier is IMO a stain on all British politicians that reduced Britain from the ruler of much of the planet, to a sick joke.

The UK remains the 5th largest economy in the world . I can not see how you can say Britain is a sick joke . 

Johnston maybe , but that is all I can think of . Oh yes, and there government state pensions are far from fitting to a rich country as the UK.

Sick joke ? I dont think that covers the situation .

3 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

????A good find.....article has been well thought out and researched.

Not that good, it doesn't mention the inheritance of land, which confuses most Thais if married to foreigners. 

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Never been a fan of this guy with his moaning and Thai bashing.

He just can't accept that he isn't treated here in Thailand as he is back home. His dissociative personality is fed by his Colonial pride, lunch with Diplomats, in conjunction with teaching at a Thai high school. These types will never assimilate in a developing country.

Instead of moaning about paying the normal price and not getting the local discount, he could become a citizen; not hard as he's been working for 28 years and has influential friends that normal expats don't. 

I have often wondered the relationship he has with the British Ambassador, must be something masonic-like. Rather ironic as he's the first to complain about Thai Nepotism and Cronyism. 

You and so many others seem to take his medal so personally. If you don't like him for your own reasons, then just ignore him and use your own sources for information.

And why would anyone ever wonder what someone else's relationship is with a British Ambassador....."obsessive behaviour maybe"?!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have also missed the point.... 

People have ‘acted’ on behalf of the expat community in Thailand for decades...   Embassy staff, consulates, chambers of commerce... more recently journalists and respected bloggers have created an overlap where publicity has influence and they have played a role of influence due to the publicity they bring.....

Improvements to various issues, changes in laws etc are brought about not by one single entity but usually through the influence and pressure from a wider range of influence from the Embassies to trade groups, heads of business to media and social media.... 

Along with others, the publicity RB has brought has an influence over many issues - that influence is obviously variable and cannot be measured....  however, by simply being a public voice some in positions of decision making power are aware of, their decisions may be influenced and in doing so, that is of benefit to many of us, even when those improvements are imperceptible to some who only moan about the increasing price of beer. 

Perhaps if RB publicised the ridiculousness booze bans some of his detractors may be happier with him !

Any one complaining about the price of beer have trouble to understand anything around them ? Sad 

I would like to ask one question to people that have more knowledge about Mr Barrow than myself . 

Has Mr Barrow ever made a campaign about the UK government not paying any increases in pensions  to UK citizens living in Thailand ?

• Thanks 1