RVing / CamperVaning in Thailand?

JayBird

Let's say you have a small Campervan (Ford Transit size, or Land Rover size).  And let's say it's self contained (does not require hookups when parking, has it's own waste disposal system).

What are the rules regarding parking in scenic spots for a few a days at a time?  Is there a club for this, or a good guide to scenic spots that are worth traveling to and overnight parking?

Thank you.

check for forest parks, only 60-70 in the whole country. They are under national parks, but free to enter. Ask for permission to camp.

They have toilets, electricity.

Most important, they are safe. There would be night guard. Also other campers.

Before entrances to national parks there might be safe area for parking.

With basic accommodation from some 250b for double, there is not much point investing in a good campervan.

I mull that idea around all the time, especially with pet, and lack of pet friendly hotels.  But hotels are so cheap, relative, but I need my AC.  If not for that, yea, I'd go that route, as did a lot of camping in USA.

• Like 1

The main reason for wanting to camp is to be able to pick isolated and scenic spots to stay overnight.  Like... camping camping ????  Staying in a hotel diminishes this as you see the hotel, rather than just raw nature.

I would be looking at doing a Campervan build that did support it's own toilet/shower/AC/etc.  It would be fun.

Also I would try to use it in other countries if that were possible.

40 minutes ago, JayBird said:

The main reason for wanting to camp is to be able to pick isolated and scenic spots to stay overnight.  Like... camping camping ????  Staying in a hotel diminishes this as you see the hotel, rather than just raw nature.

I would be looking at doing a Campervan build that did support it's own toilet/shower/AC/etc.  It would be fun.

Need to choose wisely.  I get some spectacular views for the veranda / balcony at many hotels, with all the comforts steps or short stroll/ride away.

http://www.campervan-thailand.com/

More info:

Campervan Thailand

THAILAND is one of the most beautiful destination for Campervan, RV, Motorhome, Caravan. You can travel to anywhere with your family or group of friends as you wish.

Are you boring with the routine experience like staying in hotel, going to the same route again and again? If Yes, Campervan-Thailand is the Best Perfect Solution.

1. Gives a sense of adventure and freedom. It allows us to get away from “normal” life, experience other cultures, to get to know places. We get to try new food and meet new people. 
2. Bring you closer up to the nature so you can explore unrevealed regions.
3. Gives you a unique and local cultural experience.
4. Recommend you eco-friendly travel spots where you can camp and relax.
5. Gives you the freedom to be yourself. visit and stop at any places, take a hike in national park and dive in the ocean.

CAMPERVAN-Thailand with various facilities such as bathroom and fully equipped kitchen, microwave, refrigerator, air conditioner and audio systems, home theater and living area. There are differences Campervan size available, depending on what you needs for your trip.

Furthermore, We can also help you plan your itinerary, book campsites, organize events or give you any informations, things to do, tips and tricks on what are "Don't miss out" places in Thailand.

https://motorhomesforhire.com/thailand/

Camper Van Hire Thailand

Upriver is the old capital of Ayutthaya and the old summer palace at Bang Pa-In, both of which are a must see for motorhome travellers interested in Thailand’s historic past. Another popular motorhome destination is the Central Plains, located between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, forming the heart of the country: a rich environment steeped in history.
Take your motorhome to the province of Kanchanaburi, a stunning oasis of jungle-clad hills and sweeping waterways, where there is a popular train trip running along the ‘Death Railway’.

RV Rental

Or travel to the northeast of the country to the Khao Yai National Park & Wildlife Reserve, which can be used by rv rental travellers as a base to visit the many ancient and historical sites in the northeast of Thailand.

The coastline of Thailand is famously beautiful and makes a wonderful destination for those wishing for a chilled out motorhome holiday. Check out Ko Taoif if you are interested in scuba diving or relax in the stunning seascape of Phang Nga Bay, the setting for James Bond film, The Man with the Golden Gun.  The idyllic Ko Phi Phi Islands are a quick boat trip away from Phuket or the mainland at Krabi and should be seen as a great example of island paradise. Alternatively check out Ko Phangan if you are looking to take your motorhome to somewhere relatively undeveloped but lively. Each month there is an all-night full moon beach party at Had Rin with up to 10,000 revellers partying until the sun comes up.

All in all Motorhome Hire Thailand offers wonderfully tasty food, interesting activities, and friendly people. A perfect place to go for an unforgettable motorhome experience.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good idea....you won't get peace and tranquility with Thais nearby.....don't mean to Thai bash.......but they just love to make noise.

Staying in a resort at the moment.....the guy next to us slammed his car door 27 times this morning......I know I am sad.....I did genuinely count them.

You should adjust to the rhythm and do the  "thing" with madame.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Would do me.

3532A88C-262E-49EB-865E-5778A658DEE5.jpeg

Daughter in the US as well as my son have bought the roof top tent systems designed for their 4Runners as well as a setup off the back end for inside cooking 

2016 Tepui Rooftop Tent Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO Motor Home Truck Camper Rental in Makawao, HI ...Front Runner Roof Top Tent Annex

• Like 2

Add a Honda Portable generator that's fairly quiet and you all set to go into the forested locations.....just be sure that your not in an area forbidden to be in. Now where to find a Honda generator is the next problem.

HONDA 2200W Companion Generator | Portable Quiet Generator

I know Atlas has portable generators here.

https://www.atlascopco.com/en-th/construction-equipment/products/power-diesel-generators/portable-generator

• Like 2

I have a  23 foot Mercedes Sprinter camper/ mobile home here in Australia and would really  love to have this fully self contained unit in Thailand , with shower ,toilet , hot water , air- con ,240 volt generator , one would be able to drift around , camping along the beautiful coast line of Thailand . Regards Popa

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JayBird said:

unless you travel with experienced campers, travel in a group, with thai people, I would be afraid of isolated places to stay alone because of common crime, as well as danger from wild animals. That's the main reason full campers are almost not-existent in thailand. 

scenic spots are within national parks, but entry is 300-500b. Car entry 30b. For pitching own tent they charge 30b per person, so probably similar for campers.

There might be safe public parking and camping outside entrances, with free use of toilets, water or even hooking to electricity.

There might be scenic spots (waterfalls, caves etc) close to national parks, with free parking and some facilities, but payed entry (or free with the dated ticket from a national park).

Those earlier mentioned forest parks.

I would rather sleep in a tent pitched just for the night, than inside caravan. Only in case of rain I would move inside, but preferably find the nearest guesthouse.

All scenic spots, natural reserves would be on googlemaps as "tourist attractions". I would check all of them on my route. There might be disused buildings, thai salas, verandahs for common use. I have camped with a tent inside those places, just it's more convenient than on ground, and in case of rain.

Start you camping adventure just with a tent in an estate car, 7 sitter or covered pick up. Might be just good enough. If you are in bangkok or central thailand do first Koh Chang. Or Kanchanaburi. Those routes are developed for weekend tourists.

Because I have 3 dogs I try to travel self-sufficient and on budged. 

As to renting hotels, guesthouses - you might need them only to sleep there. There is not much to see in the scenic spot at nigh time. Those guesthouses in the countryside are still close to nature - by rivers, lakes, on the beach. You can still make a bonfire, cooking.