Thailand’s liquor vendors want 2-5pm alcohol sales ban revoked

snoop1130

7 hours ago, pomchop said:

The OP says the law is 50 years old...Taksin was PM 2001-2006 so ...about 15-20 years ago.

I arrived in 2004 and was told it was introduced to stop school kids buying alcohol after school finished in the afternoon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

I arrived in 2004 and was told it was introduced to stop school kids buying alcohol after school finished in the afternoon.

It is now 2022 and I am telling you that the 2-5 PM alcohol ban was not to stop kids buying alcohol , because kids are in school at that time and they cannot buy alcohol anyway (whatever time it is)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

I think it was on the books but really ignored for many years.  It was 'discovered' again and then enforced again, but what year I'm not sure.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, LivingNThailand said:

I think sometimes it's up to the owner of the 7-11.  I noticed here in Phuket some of the 7-11s that are near Mosques don't sell beer.  And there is one next to a gas station that doesn't sell it.  So maybe it's just the owners decision??  Just guessing.

We had a new PTT gas station open several years ago with a 7/11 on site. They were not allowed to sell alcohol until the owner/franchisee obtained a liquor licence.

Perhaps the licencing committee did not approve a licence for them.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:58 PM, mtls2005 said:

Are entertainment establishments restricted from selling during these  hours? I thought that it was only retail establishments?

You are one of the few who is on the topic :biggrin:

Yes, currently even restaurants (-bars) etc would not be allowed to serve alcohol between 2 and 5 PM. Was always a complaint in Pattaya.

In our province the non elected governor uses his power even more arbitrarily.

Still no serving of alcohol in restaurants or the like allowed.

Maybe it will earn him a promotion.

An episode that will always be in my memory.

One time I was at a Makro checkout in the afternoon.

The wine vinegar raised attention and was only OKed after discussion among the cashiers.

Another facet: a mate loved his chocolate with rum raisins from Ritter. That was good for some years.

Suddenly vanished and never appeared again.

Generally: in some countries you can buy chocolates with some alcohol (filling).

Try to find this in Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 6:51 AM, Skeptic7 said:

But didn't seriously start being enforced until sometime in past decade. Absolutely the most inane and vacuous law in a country which excels in both attributes. :coffee1:

It was Purachai that ended the all nighters and started enforcing the afternoon breaks.

He did that in 2002.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

It was Purachai that ended the all nighters and started enforcing the afternoon breaks.

He did that in 2002.

Your history is good and partly correct. Was already here many years prior to The Social Order Campaign dictated by Thaksin & Purachai in early 2000s. Remember it like yesterday. And while you're correct about ending most all-nighters and putting many out of business, including my favorite Rainbow 2000...the enforcement of the afternoon breaks wasn't enforced seriously, consistently or nationally until more than a decade later and less than a decade ago. While some stores temporarily abided in those earlier years, most did not.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

I am absolutely not in favour of this.

The 2-5 pm ban on alcohol is a good primer to Thailands inane nature.  Particularly when you go from a 7-11 and walk a block away and get a beer from a vendor who sells it to you when he shouldn't - wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more...

I also remember this beeing enforced during Thaksins reign in the early 2000s, but that it was a not enacted law before that. Usually I also forget the 2-5 rule when I arrive in Thailand, but I don't see it as a huge hassle.

On a sidenote: Here in Norway we also have weird laws:

Only alcohol with a % 4,7 or under is allowed to be sold at supermarkets, and only between 08:00 and 18:00 monday to friday. On saturdays and days before public christian holidays you can only sell between 08:00 and 15:00. The local municipality can however extend the hours up to 20:00 on weekdays and 18:00 on saturdays/days before holiday. All shops larger than 100 square meters must be closed on Sundays. This law has made for the strange creation of "brustad-buer" named after the politician who introduced the law. Many supermarkets now have sundayshops with a separate entrance that is exactly 100sqm next to the normal shop, and its only open on Sundays. But you cannot buy alcohol in these shops.

For alcohol 4,8% and up you have to go to the state owned Vinmonopolet ("The Wine Monoploly")  and they are open from 10 to 18 on weekdays, and 10 to 16 on saturdays (changed from 09 to 15 last year). 

Because of the rules that municipalities can extend the sales hours themselves, it was a common occurence that people drove to the neighbouring municipality to buy their beer. Most municipalities now have chosen to extend the sales hours to the max. 

Edit: Btw, it is also illegal to get drunk at a bar. If the liquor control board have an inspection and find drunk people getting served, the bar could get a fine or even be closed down.

Edited by godonnet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is now 2022 and I am telling you that the 2-5 PM alcohol ban was not to stop kids buying alcohol , because kids are in school at that time and they cannot buy alcohol anyway (whatever time it is)

Most school children get to school before the 8am flag raising and finish around 3 to 3:30pm.

Sorry to disappoint you but I have seen school kids being dropped off early o stop off and buy alcohol on the way home. There will always be people and shops who will sell to anybody.

The law is ignored, as it is not enforced by the police, who would probably turn a blind eye anyway.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Most school children get to school before the 8am flag raising and finish around 3 to 3:30pm.

Sorry to disappoint you but I have seen school kids being dropped off early o stop off and buy alcohol on the way home. There will always be people and shops who will sell to anybody.

The law is ignored, as it is not enforced by the police, who would probably turn a blind eye anyway.

School finishes at 3-30 and if the alcohol restrictions were to stop school kids buying alcohol  , then the restrictions would begin at 3 .30 .

The law may be ignored in your local shop , but the law in enforced in other shops , even my local mom& pop shops have began enforcing the alcohol restriction rules , as the Police now enforce the laws  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

As i initially said!!

Are you for real?

Which school has the students in classes after 3pm/4pm?

Also.

Are you trying to convince people that none of them break the law and don't buy alcohol before they are 20 yrs old...????????

I am glad you at least know its 2022!!

So...Font of all knowledge.

Show us in Black & White why the restricted hours are in place,as you categorically state it has nothing to do with schools.

Waiting..????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

As i initially said!!

Are you for real?

Which school has the students in classes after 3pm/4pm?

Also.

Are you trying to convince people that none of them break the law and don't buy alcohol before they are 20 yrs old...????????

I am glad you at least know its 2022!!

So...Font of all knowledge.

Show us in Black & White why the restricted hours are in place,as you categorically state it has nothing to do with schools.

Waiting..????????

The school bell in my areas goes at 3.30 and they usually get out the school gate about 4 PM .

I don't know which area you live in, but where I live , the schoolkids don't rush off to the nearest shop to get a beer straight after school , maybe some people who need a beer at any available opportunity , don't realise that Thai school kids aren't the same as them ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, godonnet said:

I also remember this beeing enforced during Thaksins reign in the early 2000s, but that it was a not enacted law before that. Usually I also forget the 2-5 rule when I arrive in Thailand, but I don't see it as a huge hassle.

On a sidenote: Here in Norway we also have weird laws:

Only alcohol with a % 4,7 or under is allowed to be sold at supermarkets, and only between 08:00 and 18:00 monday to friday. On saturdays and days before public christian holidays you can only sell between 08:00 and 15:00. The local municipality can however extend the hours up to 20:00 on weekdays and 18:00 on saturdays/days before holiday. All shops larger than 100 square meters must be closed on Sundays. This law has made for the strange creation of "brustad-buer" named after the politician who introduced the law. Many supermarkets now have sundayshops with a separate entrance that is exactly 100sqm next to the normal shop, and its only open on Sundays. But you cannot buy alcohol in these shops.

For alcohol 4,8% and up you have to go to the state owned Vinmonopolet ("The Wine Monoploly")  and they are open from 10 to 18 on weekdays, and 10 to 16 on saturdays (changed from 09 to 15 last year). 

Because of the rules that municipalities can extend the sales hours themselves, it was a common occurence that people drove to the neighbouring municipality to buy their beer. Most municipalities now have chosen to extend the sales hours to the max. 

Edit: Btw, it is also illegal to get drunk at a bar. If the liquor control board have an inspection and find drunk people getting served, the bar could get a fine or even be closed down.

My first time working in Norway for the first few nights out I wondered why some of the locals got a bit drunk on two beers. It was explained to me that they would drink at home before going out, much cheaper, and only buy a couple in the bar, much more expensive.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

School finishes at 3-30 and if the alcohol restrictions were to stop school kids buying alcohol  , then the restrictions would begin at 3 .30 .

The law may be ignored in your local shop , but the law in enforced in other shops , even my local mom& pop shops have began enforcing the alcohol restriction rules , as the Police now enforce the laws  

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet. Which area do you live in?

LOL. I don't care anymore. While in Thailand, I drink much less alcohol now. 150% or so import tax, making what should be inexpensive wine,  ridiculously expensive, and having to plan grocery shopping based on alcohol-selling times... Better for my liver and my holiday budget.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That explains your negative, hostile comments at times. 

Not sure how stating that the alcohol law restrictions in Thailand are there to stop adults drinking all day and they aren't there to stop school kids drinking, can be considered to be either "hostile" or "negative".

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Not sure how stating that the alcohol law restrictions in Thailand are there to stop adults drinking all day and they aren't there to stop school kids drinking, can be considered to be either "hostile" or "negative".

Not related to this thread.

I haven't been following. 

On 3/17/2022 at 8:00 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Informing someone that they couldn't purchase alcohol at 3 PM really isn't a "weird" thing to do, its actually being quite helpful to the person .

What made you think that it would be a weird thing to do . 

Although it may have been weird if you  were lustfully leering at her whilst she was shopping  

In Thailand it is wise to avoid foreign "helpful strangers". Scammers, all of them

On 3/19/2022 at 7:15 PM, billd766 said:

We had a new PTT gas station open several years ago with a 7/11 on site. They were not allowed to sell alcohol until the owner/franchisee obtained a liquor licence.

Perhaps the licencing committee did not approve a licence for them.

all shops at a petrol station are NOT allowed to sell booze......reason being TO stop drink driving, so I was told years ago !!!!!

• Like 1