Thai public health minister says alcohol and parties should not be part of Songkran, focus should be on tradition and religion

webfact

6 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Imagine if Western Leaders were to make the same ludicrous insulting request to their voters about how they should celebrate Xmas ……would be voted out never to return !????

Indeed they would. Mind you, being voted out never to return isn't an option here, now democracy has been "reformed"!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

Indeed they would. Mind you, being voted out never to return isn't an option here, now democracy has been "reformed"!

Yes & it results in such fat headed complacency & contempt for Thais by the military rulers that they feel emboldened to make such utterly fatuous statements  to their voters , er I mean “ subjects” ????without fear of ridicule due to defamation laws.

7 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Imagine if Western Leaders were to make the same ludicrous insulting request to their voters about how they should celebrate Xmas ……would be voted out never to return !????wrec 

They weren't voted out when Christmas festivities and family gatherings were proscribed in the UK in 2020. And there was serious discussion as to whether the same should happen in 2021. Fortunately in the latter case Johnson had the courage to face down the doomsters. All Covid restrictions have gone now, thank God.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

They weren't voted out when Christmas festivities and family gatherings were proscribed in the UK in 2020. And there was serious discussion as to whether the same should happen in 2021. Fortunately in the latter case Johnson had the courage to face down the doomsters. All Covid restrictions have gone now, thank God.

Different Situation. Those restrictions accepted by UK population for common good. Telling Thais not to drink during Songkran, or Brits not to drink at Xmas, is about as useless as telling thais to follow Road Traffic Laws! 

• Like 2

Songkran hasn't been about tradition and religion for a long time. It's about getting <deleted>, drive around like crazy while <deleted>, killing people by the hundreds in the process. Sadistically throwing buckets of water (often with chunks of ice for increased pain sensation and delight) at each other, preferably at the crotch. Rubbing carcinogenic butt powder into people's nostrils, eyes, mouths. In general, being as loud and obnoxious as one possibly can. Hasn't much to do with what the Buddha taught. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 12:20 AM, TropicalGuy said:

Yes, it’s a “ full service” economy here … and hot / cheap / safe ; that’s why people come here ????????????to do stuff they can’t do in more developed countries …..????

I guess you haven't been to Spain yet

• Confused 1

I know this may be slightly off-topic, but I am having trouble with this new system finding the latest news about requirements for people coming to Thailand. My Thai wife And I are having a disagreement. She is telling me that you must have a vaccine to come to Thailand for both foreigners and Thais. And that a digitalI ID is required in most shops now.

I have been looking at the government website and I don’t see rules like this at all. She says her cousin in the tourist police just telling her this. She said the government website is not correct.

Can anybody help point me in the right direction so I can know what is going on?

24 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Songkran hasn't been about tradition and religion for a long time. It's about getting <deleted>, drive around like crazy while <deleted>, killing people by the hundreds in the process. Sadistically throwing buckets of water (often with chunks of ice for increased pain sensation and delight) at each other, preferably at the crotch. Rubbing carcinogenic butt powder into people's nostrils, eyes, mouths. In general, being as loud and obnoxious as one possibly can. Hasn't much to do with what the Buddha taught. 

More to do with the millions of foreign funsters coming to Thailand to participate in the world's biggest water fight.  Spending their wet and sweaty tourist loot.

Nothing wrong with that.  Any more than the massive spend-a-thon that Christmas Xmas has become.

Oh, and letting the locals blow off some steam after a couple of very tough years isn't a bad idea, either.  Even in if means getting wet when you don't want to.

Edited by impulse

deputy prime minister suggested that Thai people completely skip alcohol at Songkran this year and focus on family and traditional religious activities. He stated that alcohol, according to him, and gatherings around it significantly raise the chances of spreading Covid-19 and weakens one’s immune system.

Give it a rest! People have had enough of having their lives quashed and curtailed by unfeeling autocrats. Refrain from drinking all you want, be a bore, nobody cares, just don’t impart yourself rubbish on others. Pffft!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Correct. Like Ramadan, Songkran is unrecognizable from its original purpose. 

On 3/18/2022 at 3:17 PM, TropicalGuy said:

Imagine if Western Leaders were to make the same ludicrous insulting request to their voters about how they should celebrate Xmas ……would be voted out never to return !????

i quess they did the past 2 years

28 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Maybe 3 days of mediation. No food. No parties. Focus your breath.

I don't need someone to mediate for me instead I will meditate and float off of my seat where sit, but then it might be liftoff from gas and then mediation would be required....

On 3/18/2022 at 7:52 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Is Anutin supposed to obey his own rules that he spouts.  I would love nothing more than to see Songkran return to its original roots, but many including foreigners think it should be a uncontrolled water fight and full on party like the full moon parties...

Most foreigners can't make up their minds. Many want restrictions lifted for tourists coming into the country, yet criticize the government for allowing Songkran.