Joe Biden says Putin is a 'war criminal'

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You seem to assume Russia is going to win. You may be making the same mistake as Putin and thinking too much about politics and power and not enough about the effect morality and ethics is having on the people and soldiers on both sides. Around the world too. 

Cynicism about politics and power and human nature can only take you so far. 

Russia  has lost control and influence in neighbouring nations through it's own actions. This effort to reverse it's decrease in influence is showing to be a disaster. 

Ukraine has decided one side is better for its' interests than the other. The human toll is terrible but Ukrainians have decided that given the alternative of living under the control of a thug it is best to fight. 

Nonetheless, whether Kyiv falls is to many observers a matter of when, rather than if.

To this point, it remains somewhat of a mystery what Putin would do with a nation the size of Ukraine.

Splitting up the country might be the most likely option. However, it is not without severe difficulties.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/28/russia-ukraine-war-what-is-putins-endgame

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I never said that it was,

I only said that it sounds to me a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. 

It's always easy to point to potential or actual war crimes and injustices perpetrated by any country but we shouldn't allow such comparisons to excuse the behavior of any country. Instead they should all be considered separately according to their own circumstances and merits. Should Milosovich been let off the hook because Hitler killed more people? Obviously not. It isn't helpful to engage in whataboutery for this reason.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 10:11 AM, TorquayFan said:

Or to pose it differently, if Russia's unprovoked destruction of Ukraine and the murder of tens of thousands of Ukrainians is NOT a war crime then FGS what is??

Now .... substitute America for Russia and Ukraine for Iraq & will you come to the same conclusion?

Take out Russia and put England and then substitute Ukraine for Ireland.????

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, hughrection said:

Now .... substitute America for Russia and Ukraine for Iraq & will you come to the same conclusion?

Even if true and I agree it was to some extent (gassing 5000 Kurds some 15 years previously is a mitigation) does that somehow excuse Putin? Did he not commit war crimes and crimes against humanity?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Even if true and I agree it was to some extent (gassing 5000 Kurds some 15 years previously is a mitigation) does that somehow excuse Putin? Did he not commit war crimes and crimes against humanity?

Yes, agree but tired of people forgetting what has occurred before. Try them all.

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The whole point of the whataboutary is precisely that, excuse Putin.

Utterly disgusting.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

True indeed.  But it does make Biden a hypocrite.  And very hard to take seriously...

Make no mistake about this, Putin is taking Biden very seriously and Xi has been put on notice to do likewise.

And this is the whole point ironically, perhaps deliberately, being missed by Putin’s excusers when they engage in their whataboutary.

The US is a democracy, the citizens vote and change the whole administration, by this means the nation changes direction, not so a totalitarian dictatorship.

Now step back and observe the correlation between admiration of, even outright praising of Putin and efforts to restrict and undermine voting rights in the US and elsewhere.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Popular protest has erupted worldwide, including in Russia. In the first nine days of Russia’s new war, more than 1,800 public demonstrations protested its unprovoked aggression, according to the independent research organization ACLED. The protests, across at least 93 countries and territories, included at least 150 demonstrations in Russia, “95 percent of which were met with state intervention,”

https://www.usip.org/publications/2022/03/global-resistance-putins-war-historic

Protests have sprung in Moscow and other Russian cities since the attack began in the early morning hours of Feb. 24. As of Thursday, more than 8,000 people had been detained at anti-war protests across the country, according to tracking by OVD-Info. And several billionaire oligarchs – arguably the most powerful group of people in Russia other than Putin himself – have spoken out against the attack.

https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2022-03-04/war-weary-russians-threaten-trouble-for-vladimir-putin-amid-ukraine-attack

That will change nothing.  The Russian dissidents are not going to overthrow Putin.  Putin will ignore the anti-war protests just as the Bush Administration ignored the massive protests against his illegal war in Iraq.  

9 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You seem to assume Russia is going to win. You may be making the same mistake as Putin and thinking too much about politics and power and not enough about the effect morality and ethics is having on the people and soldiers on both sides. Around the world too. 

Cynicism about politics and power and human nature can only take you so far. 

Russia  has lost control and influence in neighbouring nations through it's own actions. This effort to reverse it's decrease in influence is showing to be a disaster. 

Ukraine has decided one side is better for its' interests than the other. The human toll is terrible but Ukrainians have decided that given the alternative of living under the control of a thug it is best to fight. 

Morality and ethics have as small a role in this conflict as they had in the illegal American war on Iraq, which is to say none.  Putin is going to achieve his goal of destroying Ukraine.  He probably won't annex all of it, but Zelenskyy's successor's will think twice before they say the word "NATO" again.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Here's the opinion of former US Ambassador to the USSR, Jack Matlock on the current Ukraine crisis:

Was this crisis predictable?

Absolutely. NATO expansion was the most profound strategic blunder made since the end of the Cold War. In 1997, when the question of adding more NATO members arose, I was asked to testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. In my introductory remarks, I made the following statement:

“I consider the administration’s recommendation to take new members into NATO at this time misguided. If it should be approved by the United States Senate, it may well go down in history as the most profound strategic blunder made since the end of the Cold War. Far from improving the security of the United States, its Allies, and the nations that wish to enter the Alliance, it could well encourage a chain of events that could produce the most serious security threat to this nation since the Soviet Union collapsed.” Indeed, our nuclear arsenals were capable of ending the possibility of civilization on Earth.

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/02/15/the-origins-of-the-ukraine-crisis-and-how-conflict-can-be-avoided/

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

That will change nothing.  The Russian dissidents are not going to overthrow Putin.  Putin will ignore the anti-war protests just as the Bush Administration ignored the massive protests against his illegal war in Iraq.  

I never claimed it would. If memory served me rightly, you claimed no opposition.

47 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Here's the opinion of former US Ambassador to the USSR, Jack Matlock on the current Ukraine crisis:

Was this crisis predictable?

Absolutely. NATO expansion was the most profound strategic blunder made since the end of the Cold War. In 1997, when the question of adding more NATO members arose, I was asked to testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. In my introductory remarks, I made the following statement:

“I consider the administration’s recommendation to take new members into NATO at this time misguided. If it should be approved by the United States Senate, it may well go down in history as the most profound strategic blunder made since the end of the Cold War. Far from improving the security of the United States, its Allies, and the nations that wish to enter the Alliance, it could well encourage a chain of events that could produce the most serious security threat to this nation since the Soviet Union collapsed.” Indeed, our nuclear arsenals were capable of ending the possibility of civilization on Earth.

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/02/15/the-origins-of-the-ukraine-crisis-and-how-conflict-can-be-avoided/

An isolationist, Reaganite policy think tank. It's irrational to think that the US' best interests are served by not engaging in foreign policy. The alternative was t sit back and allow Russia to re-establish the Soviet Union by force. NATO is nothing more than a deterrent against fascism.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

An isolationist, Reaganite policy think tank. It's irrational to think that the US' best interests are served by not engaging in foreign policy. The alternative was t sit back and allow Russia to re-establish the Soviet Union by force. NATO is nothing more than a deterrent against fascism.

What you and the others looking for a Hollywood ending have failed to notice is that returning Ukraine to Russian control as it has been for eighty of the last one hundred years has absolutely no security implications for the US.

2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Morality and ethics have as small a role in this conflict as they had in the illegal American war on Iraq, which is to say none.  Putin is going to achieve his goal of destroying Ukraine.  He probably won't annex all of it, but Zelenskyy's successor's will think twice before they say the word "NATO" again.

It is obvious that good does not always wins against evil and that this will not have a Hollywood ending. Of course, there is no such ending for the dead, and many lives and cities are devastated. I am just saying that normal people's sense of morality is having a big impact on this battle. 

It is obvious to note that the Ukrainian reaction, and outrage around the world, is resulting in huge support to Ukraine, and a prolonged war for Putin, and is dealing a huge blow to the Russian economy. 

I guess I am just pointing out that your argument of the inevitability of a Russian victory, based on power and selective history, is being offset by people's moral outrage and this has lead to Putin becoming a much diminished figure and Russia seriously struggling to succeed in their war. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

Your memory serves you poorly.  There is no significant opposition to Putin in Russia.

well I was right, the opposition I quoted was quite significant. I understand you have an intense desire to downplay it.

• Like 1

What you and the others looking for a Hollywood ending have failed to notice is that returning Ukraine to Russian control as it has been for eighty of the last one hundred years has absolutely no security implications for the US.

It has security implications for the Ukrainians and the Modovians and that's the point. The US was never concerned that Russian control of the Ukraine was a threat to the US itself. Russian control over Ukraine now would be devastating to the Ukrainians who have suffered so much due to indiscriminant attacks amounting to war crimes. While Russia occupies Ukraine the sanctions will remain. The only scenario in which they are likely to be lifted is Putin in The Hague.

Edited by ozimoron