Video: Drink, drugs and mental health: Another appalling attack on a mother highlights Thailand's issues

webfact

6 hours ago, Wagga said:

Jeeez, all those people just standing there and watching that thing attack the lady on the bike, then just watching it walk away. I've never hit a female but I would have knocked that one out right there and got the lady's bag back.

Really ????? No you wouldn't have & let's just say that you did in your dream world.

Those people standing around would have been on top of you in a breath and beat the life out of you.

They won't budge with a Thai, but they will if a foreigner gets involved. Seen it too many times before. ????

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, hughrection said:

Really ????? No you wouldn't have & let's just say that you did in your dream world.

Those people standing around would have been on top of you in a breath and beat the life out of you.

They won't budge with a Thai, but they will if a foreigner gets involved. Seen it too many times before. ????

You must be a mystic or mind reader ?

And who the hell are you to tell me what I would or wouldn't do.

You don't know who or what I am.

You have absolutely no idea what I'm capable or not capable of, (in my dreams or in real time). And you have no idea what nationality I am. [ English, American, Australian, German or....... maybe even Thai ] You shouldn't stick your two cents worth in until you know the facts.

17 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

I find the statement on the OP a little odd.

This in a country that prides itself on family values and respect for elders.  

From what I have noticed over the 20 odd years here, respect for parents goes oput the window once a child becomes a older TEENAGER, the Boys are let loose on society and the girls are far more strictly controlled .

The boys know they will inherit the girls know that they probably will not.

Respect ofr Parents and Grandparents lasts only as long as it benefits the child . 

This is of course a generalisation , there are many many good children but also the TRHAI attitude to ignore problems, not to complain , means ANY criticism of a child dents their egos and trouble follows. 

I recall the wife's grandmother being frequently in tears because one of the other grandaughters in her early 20s would invite all her ne'er do well friends to the house she lived in for rowdy late night drinking sessions.  The house she lived in  was owned by the errant girl's mother because grandma had divided up her assets, including that house,  between her children during her lifetime.  I put a stop to it by buying the house off the wife's aunt and kicking her daughter out.  When they get into drink and drugs they don't care about Thai culture and probably didn't care much for it before.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

I never will understand  that.  The whole country  even when a policeman  is attacked, stads and watches.

I'd pay money to see that video.  There would be a crowd of thousands applauding vociferously.

19 hours ago, Wagga said:

Jeeez, all those people just standing there and watching that thing attack the lady on the bike, then just watching it walk away. I've never hit a female but I would have knocked that one out right there and got the lady's bag back.

Quite possibly you would, but bear in mind the expression 'No good deed goes unpunished'. Interference in another family's affairs can often end badly - why do you think police hate attending 'Domestics'? The ones trying to do good end up as the villans in the family's eyes.

As for Thailand taking pride in family values, well, I take pride in being a hot young buck with legions of female admirers, and rich as $hit to boot. The readership of this fine forum however, would see an overweight drunken bum who needs to get off his fat a$$ and quit idling his life away. Perception is a funny thing...

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Having this problem down the end of our street also.  Elderly muslim couple have their worthless 20 something hammock swinging son living with them.  He is a big lad, fit and healthy but I have not seen him look for work or do a days work in the 2 or so years I have been here.  Only time I see him get off his ar*e is when he walks 100m up to the shop on the corner to buy a bag of ice and bottle of coke to cook up his kratom.

The father is actually a pu-chui with the local pooyiban but they are poor and their house is a very modest tin shed affair.  

Four police arrived at the house the other evening.  Next day we found out son had gone on the rampage, destroying what little furniture and possessions they had in their house and threatening to kill his mother and father.  The father contacted the pooyi and he used his connections to get the police to attend.  They took photos and told the lad any more nonsense and it was off to jail.

I saw the father just after the incident at a village shop that sells take away food.  He told me he was buying food to feed his wife and his "dog".  The later label referring to his son.

It is not all because of the drugs, sure that is a significant contributor, but the little emperor syndrome displayed by Thai men is entirely a consequence of poor parenting.  Grown men having tantrums is an age old and cultural phenomena in Thailand.  It just that they now have ready access to guns and drug usage results in thermo nuclear outbursts.

And not just Thailand either. I'm sure you're aware that the expression that you used, 'little emperor syndrome',  originates from China. I struck up a very good relationship with a Chinese women when I was staying there, but I just had to break it off because of her truly awful grandson who was constantly being dumped on her. It was him or me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hughrection said:

That seems apparent with your tone and words. ????

Hahaha really, 'my tone and words'.......... It seems apparent you don't/didn't know how "your tone and words" sounded in your post. 

"Really ????? No you wouldn't have & let's just say that you did in your dream world."

Like I said......You shouldn't stick your two cents worth in until you know the facts. ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Not a word was ever said and I've never seen the old hag behaving like that again.

"Thais do know right from wrong"

and it's clear to me that they knew I was in the right.

You are 100% correct Moonlover. Of course, depending on the situation, my reaction may have been different but in that (video) situation, I do not think anyone would  "have been on top of me in a breath and beat the life out of me" for intervening and it was that 'one' video I was commenting on.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And not just Thailand either. I'm sure you're aware that the expression that you used, 'little emperor syndrome',  originates from China. I struck up a very good relationship with a Chinese women when I was staying there, but I just had to break it off because of her truly awful grandson who was constantly being dumped on her. It was him or me!

Well aware.

It is not just a problem in Thailand.  It is in all Asean countries.  Back in the 80's I was in Malaysia and on the very same golf course when Sultan Iskandar beat his caddy to death with a Golf club.  My personal favorite however was when a Chinese man in his mid 30s sat down in the middle of a busy road howling in tears because his mother would not buy him pizza.

It is a truly abhorrent cultural trait of men from this region.  But now with the ready availability of these powerful new drugs things are getting out of hand.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 4:48 AM, Wagga said:

...and you would of been detained by those onlookers, charged with assault and ended up paying a huge fine, if not jail time. There is no such thing as a good Samaritan here. 

• Sad 1

On 3/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, ezzra said:

Drug's crazy most of the times, the drug problems in this country is out of control and the ease of getting it becomes easier and cheaper all the time...

If you look around the world many countries have exactly the same problem which the police admit they cannot control, when there is money to be made organized crime will flourish.

9 hours ago, Morty T said:

There is no such thing as a good Samaritan here. 

What a great attitude towards the country you are (living/holidaying/fermenting!) in.    ????

On 3/19/2022 at 3:55 PM, hotchilli said:
On 3/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, webfact said:

She has become addicted to Ya Ba and is an alcoholic. 

So she has the mental capacity to drink and understand Ya-ba but not the capacity to take medication?

Like many people with addictions, there's a very, very strong sense of denial.

A lot of people with mental issues don't know they have mental issues and it is the family that gets them to seek help.

Also, some people who have no mental issues still drink and drive knowing that alcohol impairs one's ability to drive safely.

While driving (sober) after visiting family over in another province, Mrs NL jokingly commented on a heavily tattoed and scruffy male wearing only baggy pants at the side of the road as being perfect for her sister back home. A few hundred yards further on, a similarly disheveled-looking character was ambling along. I jokingly commented that my sister-in-law would be spoiled for choice. There followed a more serious discussion about how the effects of covid, unemployment and inflation has disrupted the country's already weak mental healthcare and support network. People can no longer afford to pay for family members who may have been in full or part-time care at mental institutions and other facilities. So they are either released to family care or, if the family isn't around, they're free to wander about and get into whatever they think is needed to keep them alive. If one is hungry, one will buy food before buying their medications. maybe some see yaba as a cheaper, alternative 'medication'. It's all very sad.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2