Where to go for Songkran?

10 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

I lived nearly ten years in Roi-Et and during Songhkran everybody is out of control. My experience, it is the same in the rest of Isaan.

Yea ... Isan is the last place you want to go to avoid water.  

Phuket Kata & Karon, (not Patong) was surprisingly dead, when there during Songkran, about 12 yrs ago.  Or Krung Thep, staying away from touristy nightlife spots, as the only places that ever celebrated anyway.  

And yes, reading water is out again this, so no worries.  Thankfully.

Edited by KhunLA

Planned to stay few days in hotels around Sukhumvit area during coming Songkran.

Would it be difficult to find food or drinks during that time as most local going back hometown celebrating Songkran? ????

My last experience during 2019 Songkran was not a problem... 

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Luang Prubang.

Now with less folklore:

but with PCR tests and need Thailand Pass to come home?

It is lovely there but I would wait until all of the rules are scrapped.

Edited by Tropicalevo

16 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Done 4 -Pattaya (too many yobs, I'm talking to you, Brits), Chiang Mai (the locals were brutal with the water guns), Vientiane (very crowded, but also very laid back and very easy to get around in).

Luang Prubang was the best folkloric-wise, but too much of a crush of people.

I've had over 10 years living on the Darkside of Pattaya, never had a problem with Songkran, I just don't go to places that are known Songkran hotspots, so your fault really, it's a Thai tradition for Thais & tourists, some tourists only ever come at Songkran, so plan your day and stay away from where the water is. It's like Christmas, it's a western Tradition adopted by Thais, and some westerners have adopted Songkran,  but I know how to avoid it.

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

samed

Samed is a nightmare on the way to / from the pier on Songkran.

I've had people try to get into our car with flour/water. Slapped it all over the car including windscreen so you can't see. If returning to BKK head the other way out of town to get on the main road.

I've spent many, many Songkrans there - just go outside the "idiot hours" - early in the morning(first speedboats @ 8-830), hard to avoid on the way back unless you return very early. 

Samed Villa is always a good choice , easy to walk where you wish.