Do you think about and maybe discuss how to solve problems which you can't solve?

Putin's war is a prime example for this: Sanctions, no-fly-zone, bank restrictions, no oil and gas from there, and and and.

Lots of journalists have lots of solutions what to do. And then lots of people in the comments have lots of ideas what to do.

Obviously it could be that any of them has the perfect idea which nobody else thought about, but the chance for that is almost 0.

How about you? Do you think about and maybe discuss online or with friends how Putin could be convinced/forced to stop the war? Or how this or that problem in the world could be solved?

Personally sometime I think i.e. sanctions are a good idea. But then I think: Who will suffer most from those sanctions? Not the people at the top. And i.e. if Europe stops importing Russian gas, who do they hurt more? Putin and Russia or are they hurting their own economy.

These are just samples and I don't expect that we discuss here how to solve the problems of this world.

Personally most of the time I don't even think about what can be done or should be done. Because if there is one thing that I know is that it is complicated, very complicated. Quick solutions to complex problems basically don't exist.

How about you?

Putin is a monster. His own generals can't tell him anything he doesn't want to hear for fear of losing their liberty and perhaps their lives. He will never stop. He wants to return to the "glory" of the former Soviet Union. I've heard (UNSUBSTANTIATED arm chair quarterbacking) that the oligarchs are not happy and are making plans to remove him. I believe that is the only solution - remove him from power by any means necessary. My $.02 worth

Honestly, I do not engage in discussions about any of these type of situations. I think in general its a total waste of time. Sure you voice your opinion amongst friends and colleagues but what does it accomplish?  Acceptance? Buy in? Agreement? Does it make you feel better after like you some how assisted in changing the outcome?

• Like 1

The problem here is you and me and everyone else has no idea what is really going on, we only know what we are being fed through politicians and the media, and personally I am done with politicians and the media, they are all lying son's of B...., only telling us what they want us to hear.

As for me, I see what I see and then take a wild guess at best, at the end of the day, the war in Ukraine will eventually stop when everyone is ready to accept some terms and conditions that they didn't want to accept in the beginning, ego's, call it what you will, but at the end of the day, as I said, it will all stop, who will be the winner, who would have accomplished anything, we won't really know because they are the ones behind the scenes making the big $'s to be had from such events.

I place my bets on Ukraine not becoming a member of NATO, not for any particular reason, that said, if it did, would it be in this situation ?

• Thanks 2

This goes beyond politics. A lot of people think they know how Jennifer Aniston should lead her life. A lot of people are "concerned" about politics or Jennifer Aniston as a substitute for having a personality.

As to politics, if someone say, reads The Economist -or at least takes in some BBC/Atlantic/NY Review of Books/NY Times long articles-, and/or works in a field related to the topic at hand, I will give them a little listen.  

I wish there was a conservative option to put on that list, but there is not. If someone primarily gets their info from Fox News, we're going to be having more of a "Where are you from?" conversation.

Why stuff doesn't work or can't be fixed is always interesting to me. Like why does going to court take years when it's something that everyone would happily pay more to solve? Talking about the actual glitches is interesting, crying about the outrage of the glitches is not.

Edited by LaosLover

If there was a sober person taking notes while we were drinking cider after cycling on a Sunday afternoon, all these problems would be solved.

It’s clear to me that despite our best intentions, sober people are unwilling to help set the world to rights.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The problem here is you and me and everyone else has no idea what is really going on, we only know what we are being fed through politicians and the media, and personally I am done with politicians and the media, they are all lying son's of B...., only telling us what they want us to hear.

As for me, I see what I see and then take a wild guess at best, at the end of the day, the war in Ukraine will eventually stop when everyone is ready to accept some terms and conditions that they didn't want to accept in the beginning, ego's, call it what you will, but at the end of the day, as I said, it will all stop, who will be the winner, who would have accomplished anything, we won't really know because they are the ones behind the scenes making the big $'s to be had from such events.

I place my bets on Ukraine not becoming a member of NATO, not for any particular reason, that said, if it did, would it be in this situation ?

I have a friend based in Europe who has  worked  for many years in analytical policies and implications on trade strategies.

The  indications of combined data which involves interpretations of  international trade variances versus geopolitical stances in actual terms of economic benefit indicate via multiple models of potential outcome that the "West" in either the  concept of USA domination or even the EU as the bastions of current superior influence is in rapid decline.

It has become too obvious that the "promise" of generic wealth and egalitarianism is as false as the autocratic imposition of same "promise".

The current "crisis" of the Ukrainian/ Russian conflict is one of such models and in the opinion of my friend is the one most predictable as has occurred so far but still open to the terms of resolution.

In consideration of expectations  short term it is predicted that  Russia (Putin)  will achieve the basic elements of his demands. The Ukraine will concede under terms of negotiation that avoids "capitulation or surrender" while soothed in sympathetic  clouds of NATO applause for providing an acid test of the military capacity of a perceived enemy  . In a slightly  longer term the  NATO members will regret the antagonism it initiated in response to and lose significance and the US will also lose the advantage of the Petro Dollar that more than anything else has provided for it's contrived economic  viability.

In the shorter term the impact overall  on global trade which will cause greater disruptions in

basic food distribution will create wider humanitarian crisis than has already been inflicted  by callous indifference in real terms by such as the UN !

Day of the Dog is  nigh . The presumptuous  Dog Owner is about to be bit !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about you? Do you think about and maybe discuss online or with friends how Putin could be convinced/forced to stop the war?

You could just have answered with: yes

22 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

I have a friend based in Europe who has  worked  for many years in analytical policies and implications on trade strategies.

The  indications of combined data which involves interpretations of  international trade variances versus geopolitical stances in actual terms of economic benefit indicate via multiple models of potential outcome that the "West" in either the  concept of USA domination or even the EU as the bastions of current superior influence is in rapid decline.

It has become too obvious that the "promise" of generic wealth and egalitarianism is as false as the autocratic imposition of same "promise".

The current "crisis" of the Ukrainian/ Russian conflict is one of such models and in the opinion of my friend is the one most predictable as has occurred so far but still open to the terms of resolution.

In consideration of expectations  short term it is predicted that  Russia (Putin)  will achieve the basic elements of his demands. The Ukraine will concede under terms of negotiation that avoids "capitulation or surrender" while soothed in sympathetic  clouds of NATO applause for providing an acid test of the military capacity of a perceived enemy  . In a slightly  longer term the  NATO members will regret the antagonism it initiated in response to and lose significance and the US will also lose the advantage of the Petro Dollar that more than anything else has provided for it's contrived economic  viability.

In the shorter term the impact overall  on global trade which will cause greater disruptions in

basic food distribution will create wider humanitarian crisis than has already been inflicted  by callous indifference in real terms by such as the UN !

I talk about my football team all the time. It beats pounding my head against a cement wall. As for the war in the Ukraine, I have moved away from reading or talking about many international events, due to the pandemic.

Edited by Dcheech

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

we only know what we are being fed through politicians and the media, and personally I am done with politicians and the media, they are all lying son's of B...., only telling us what they want us to hear.

Exactly right. There is absolutely no way to confirm that the information be disseminated is accurate and factual. With "Freedom of Speech" comes people saying whatever they want, true or not. Politicians lie, media sources only want ratings and shock value. So when people start debating events it is as I said, a total waste of time. What you are debating is unconfirmed, likely tainted information. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dcheech said:

I have moved away from reading or talking about many international events

For years I have told many friends, If you want to live a healthy stress free life, do not read the news and stay away from doctors. ????

I do not follow the news, stay away from all religions and see the doctor only when needed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JAFO said:

Exactly right. There is absolutely no way to confirm that the information be disseminated is accurate and factual. With "Freedom of Speech" comes people saying whatever they want, true or not. Politicians lie, media sources only want ratings and shock value. So when people start debating events it is as I said, a total waste of time. What you are debating is unconfirmed, likely tainted information. 

However, sometimes a government lies so much that only the sheeple believe them. I know such a government.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:22 AM, LaosLover said:

This goes beyond politics. A lot of people think they know how Jennifer Aniston should lead her life. A lot of people are "concerned" about politics or Jennifer Aniston as a substitute for having a personality.

As to politics, if someone say, reads The Economist -or at least takes in some BBC/Atlantic/NY Review of Books/NY Times long articles-, and/or works in a field related to the topic at hand, I will give them a little listen.  

I wish there was a conservative option to put on that list, but there is not. If someone primarily gets their info from Fox News, we're going to be having more of a "Where are you from?" conversation.

Why stuff doesn't work or can't be fixed is always interesting to me. Like why does going to court take years when it's something that everyone would happily pay more to solve? Talking about the actual glitches is interesting, crying about the outrage of the glitches is not.

I watched a lot of Fox when in Thailand, but IMO the only "news" they put out was the weather. The rest was opinion as entertainment, IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 2:22 AM, Nojohndoe said:

Given that short of lightning or such removing Putin from the scene ( and he will just be replaced by a similar ) the outcome of the war in Ukraine is most likely a Russian victory, so all the destruction and loss of life could have been avoided by the Ukraine leadership conceding to Putin BEFORE the tanks started rolling.

After it's all over, will resisting Russia have been worthwhile, other than for the weapons manufacturers?

I'm not taking any side on this as I don't have enough information to make an informed decision. All I know is that actual facts get lost in the propaganda.

• Confused 1