Collecting Money Owed in Chiang Mai

Barley

Hello,

I have a signed loan agreement by a Thai person from Chiang Mai which is overdue. Part of the agreement is a signed copy of their Thai ID card.

I really don't like asking people to pay money owed to me, and I will also be leaving to Europe for the summer in a few days.

So I would like to hand this matter over to someone to do the collection for me. I have the original loan agreement signed in duplicate, so I could give someone one set and still have an original for myself.

What are my options?

Lawyer, official or unofficial collection agency, or going to the police directly?

Can you give me some hints what I should do, with as little hassle for me as possible? These things always upset me a lot and make me have sleep bad.

Looking forward to your advice.

3 hours ago, Barley said:

a Thai person

And then there is the question if this is a nobody or maybe someone with some influence, or someone who has no problem using violence.

Because if you make a Thai person look bad because you want your money back then it might happen that they get aggressive towards you. Maybe you get shot, maybe your life in Thailand will get difficult because of problems from immigration, etc.

I know it's not fair, but think twice what you want to do and possible consequences. And getting none of your money back is not the worst possible consequence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then there is the question if this is a nobody or maybe someone with some influence, or someone who has no problem using violence.

Because if you make a Thai person look bad because you want your money back then it might happen that they get aggressive towards you. Maybe you get shot, maybe your life in Thailand will get difficult because of problems from immigration, etc.

I know it's not fair, but think twice what you want to do and possible consequences. And getting none of your money back is not the worst possible consequence. 

Have you received permission from Mr. Somchai to breathe?????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Barley said:

Lawyer, official or unofficial collection agency, or going to the police directly?

Clearly a civil case, the police will not get involved.  Who drafted the contract?  Was the contract in English?  I always thought contracts had to be in Thai to be enforceable in Thailand.  Get a lawyer, preferably the one who help you draft the contract.

10 hours ago, Barley said:

Can you give me some hints what I should do, with as little hassle for me as possible? These things always upset me a lot and make me have sleep bad.

Simple solution for future ref:  Don't make million baht loans!!!!!!

11 hours ago, Barley said:

Write it off.  Forget about it.

Next time somebody wants to borrow remember you are not a bank, you are not in the business of lending money.

If you determine the debtor is clearly collectible, go ahead and pursue it [being aware that the best you'll do is what's owed less the cost (and stress) to get there]; however, if the debtor isn't collectible, pursuing it legally is pure folly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barley said:

I really don't like asking people to pay money owed to me

Your joking...maybe the one you lent the money to ,Knew that,

If you don't ask you will never get repaid ,even then you will

have a job getting it ,that's why I never lend money to anyone, 

that's what Banks and loan sharks are for.

I do hope you manage to be repaid , otherwise it's going to be

a very  expensive laning lesson

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

When loaning money, do it like a professional. If you don't, prepare for 100% loss of the money and the loss of a friend or associate. Loaning money to a friend is a fast way to lose friends.

When a Thai banker or credit company loans money, 90% of the time, they want a co-signer. Get a co-signer always!

Next, google 4C (character, collateral, capacity, capital) of credit to understand what should be done before loaning money.

When collecting a loan on default, you need to determine if it is recoverable or not. Can you find the person and meet personally with them? Is it recoverable?

Edited by Banana7

On 3/21/2022 at 4:42 PM, Barley said:

Can you give me some hints what I should do, with as little hassle for me as possible?

Involving third parties in Thailand invariably gets messy and can easily backfire IMO. Shelling out for lawyers and courts will probably fail as well. ....................My approach would be playing the long game, accepting that a payment plan (direct debit of sorts preferably) that the debtor can reasonably afford is better than putting them in a corner with pressure. Ask them what can they afford to pay monthly, let them tell you and go from there.................................................... Accept that you're going to have to have a conversation with them, get your head around that (take a friend with you if you're concerned).................................................