Cash advance cash wihdrawal with credit card

I tried today a cash withdrawal with 2 credit cards, both packed with cash and ample credit. Location Hua Hin Blueport Bangkok Bank

Everything over a 1000€ was declined on both cards (again several times coverage). Tried 70K 50K and then 36 K worked (under a 1000€)

I had to enter a Pin called Offline pin.... My normal ATM Pin worked (for under 1000€)

Did the bank do a mistage ? I think yes as I had to enter a pin....

First time I tried to do a cash withdrawal. As far as I know Bangkok Bank ist the only one without a fee or am I mistaken?

I did not try several times 1000€, thats what I will try next but I think it will not work as I guess transaction was classified as an ATM transaction from BKK and there the limit is 1000€ on european credit cards (from bandside europe).

Thanks for any advise if other banks charge fees or if just a mistake by bank clerk or how to withdraw 100K for example.

I will withdraw a lot of cash as rent will be paid in cash.

PS: Wise is slightly more expensive then cash withdrawal with a  good credit card.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

ATMs have physical limits on a single cash disbursement, often in the 20,000 - 30,000 range. The slot can only accommodate so many bills.

And your financial service provider probably has daily limits. Research those.

Without a lot, lot, lot, lot more detail (do you have a local bank account, which cards are you using, any ATM debit card) I think you're going to have to do 4 or 5 separate ATM withdrawals to get to 100,000 baht.

Decline Dynamic Currency Conversion.

Get a local bank account ASAP and use WISE to transfer money.

Wise is more expensive or about the same if you include the fee, FACT just check the treads here on ASEANNOW PIB explained it very well.

I was stating I am talking about CASH ADVANCE NOT ATM transaction. Cash Advance limit is to my knowledge 150K with Bangkok Bank i.e. you go in the bank with passport + no atm fee. I agree DCC is a  nightmare avoid at all costs which are about 10%

Limit on my card is 1000€ for atm transaction but no limit on cc purchases or cash advances as such. All my banks know I am in TH.

Tried Visa and Mastercard. I could turn up a the bank with 4 different cc but not to my liking really, as I usaully keep them seperated for theft reasons.

Edited by stat
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some banks have their own limits for cards, for example Kasikorn use to have a 20k limit, my Halifax clarity card had a withdrawal limit of credit limit which was 500kish, max i did was 100k from Krungsri, try them.

They often ask you to sign and pin

Did you have to pay a fee for cash withdrawal at Kasikorn? Thanks!

A few years ago my prepaid with £5k on it change provider with little notice tried the cash route limit was about £300 per day thinking fast bought gold then sold it at a profit shortly after maybe an option ????

54 minutes ago, stat said:

was stating I am talking about CASH ADVANCE NOT ATM transaction. Cash Advance limit is to my knowledge 150K with Bangkok Bank i.e. you go in the bank with passport + no atm fee.

Ah, OK.

So your ATM Debit Card allows for a teller-administered/"counter" cash-advance? Those almost always have daily limits. What is yours, in the foreign currency? For U.S. ATM Debit cards the daily limit (for cash advances) ranges from $2,500 to $15,000 (USD).

I don't think Bangkok Bank has a set limit on these, again a limit is set by your home bank/card provider.

Do you have an account at Bangkok Bank? Having an account may make a teller cash advance easier.

Not every bank or branch is required to honor a teller cash advance. Seen a few reports of success here, but most get by with ATM, or international transfers. Some activities, condo purchase, support for a visa or extension of stay have certain requirements re: source of funds.

You can dick around trying to get a teller cash advance, or just get a Bangkok Bank or SCB account today, and transfer money via WISE.

Yes, I will stipulate that a teller cash advance yields slightly more THB than a WISE transfer.

Local ATM fees range from 150 THB (AEON) to 220 THB (most banks).

53 minutes ago, stat said:

Did you have to pay a fee for cash withdrawal at Kasikorn? Thanks!

Do you mean at their ATM? Or as a teller cash advance? The former, yes. The latter, no. At BBL anyway, might other banks charge a fee assuming you don't have an account? Maybe.

You'll get mo' better help if you just reveal your exact circumstances and requirements.

Edited by mtls2005

16 minutes ago, vinci said:

you must be desperate to withdraw cash from credit cards, ATM have limits of 20k a day

That's not a general rule.

Technically many ATMs spit 25, 30 or even 50k.

Most foreigners fail due to limitations incurred by their home banks.

During my first year here in Thailand I would do a cash advance every month with Bangkok Bank in the amount of 100,000 baht. I went into the bank to do this and Bangkok Bank charged no fee at all. However, my USA bank charged me $140 fee every time. I used my USA bank credit card (debit). Sometimes, I even went up to 200,000 without any issues at all. One thing that I did notice, Bangkok Bank didn't care how much I had in my USA bank, you could say any amount you wanted, even if you didn't have it in your bank account. Then I got wiser and stopped doing cash advances and just transfer my money (swift) and it only cost me $40 bank fee and was here within 24 hours.

• Like 2

When I first came to LOS, I wasn't sure about staying. I was in weekend millionaire mode. When I got serious about living here, I took a hard look at ATM cash advances, and between all the fees from both Thai and Foreign banks, poor exchange rates, etc, I realized I was taking an overall 10% hit. That got changed quick, fast, and in a hurry.

• Like 1

From my personal experience Credit Card Cash Advance in Thailand from  a large US Bank. I had to call the bank fraud department to say yes it’s ok. I was advised Credit card cash advance is charged 

at higher rate than credit purchase and fiancé charges start immediately at time of transaction. 

Best to find out details from your bank before you get bent over a stump... 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, vinci said:

you must be desperate to withdraw cash from credit cards, ATM have limits of 20k a day

Pls read my post! I am talking about a cash withdrawal at the COUNTER NOT AT AN ATM. 60% of the posters do not understand the difference, nehevertheless keep on rambling. The same for the wise fans who do not understand that there is a 0.5xxx % fee on their transaction. I would take wise right away if there was a flat fee.

BTW ATMs Krungskri yellow and TMB have 30K Limit on ATM transactions.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:17 PM, khunjeff said:

That may be true for GBP from UK accounts, but it certainly isn't universally true. @stat is correct that for USD from US accounts, using an ATM is more advantageous than Wise if your debit/ATM card doesn't have any foreign transaction charges, and also refunds ATM fees. A number of US card issuers fall into that category, including the Charles Schwab card that is popular on this forum. If your card doesn't refund the 220 baht fee (and especially if it has any extra fees for foreign transactions), then yes, Wise will be better.

See the examples below, taken a few minutes ago. Using a card like Schwab, an ATM withdrawal of 30k THB would be about 85 baht cheaper than using Wise. Not a lot, but more than zero.

Wise definitely has its advantages, particularly the fact that I can move a large amount of money at once, with a guaranteed rate. So I do use them for sending larger amounts, but for sums in the 30k THB range, I use an ATM.

Again, your results will vary depending on your home country bank, card, and currency.

Screenshot_20220324-180356.jpg

Screenshot_20220324-180339.jpg

Great post! Thats why I ofcombine the good exchange rate with saving the 220 Baht fee and go for the cash withdrawal at the counter. I just have to figure out why BKK Bank only gives out 1000K Euro equivalent aka 36K Baht. As I have 3 cards at least I can try 100K Baht on the 3 cards.

ee

Any other banks that work without fee? Krungskri and Kasikorn I understand. I really hate to learn later that they added 3% fee. BKK bank worked for me without a fee.

Edited by stat
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stat said:

I just have to figure out why BKK Bank only gives out 1000K Euro equivalent aka 36K Baht

My guess is that this a daily or single transaction limit imposed by your card provider.

I'd review the card agreement where these details are normally covered.

2 hours ago, stat said:

The same for the wise fans who do not understand that there is a 0.5xxx % fee on their transaction.

WISE clearly shows their fee(s).

Visa and MC do have an uplift from the mid-market rate, ~ 0.2xxx %.

Right now 36,000 THB would draw 981.77 Euros from your bank account via WISE (low cost transfer), and 981.62 Euros via a VISA-issued teller advance.

Obviously you need a local bank account to utilize WISE.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stat said:

Pls read my post! I am talking about a cash withdrawal at the COUNTER NOT AT AN ATM. 60% of the posters do not understand the difference, nehevertheless keep on ra.mbling. The same for the wise fans who do not understand that there is a 0.5xxx % fee on their transaction. I would take wise right away if there was a flat fee.

BTW ATMs Krungskri yellow and TMB have 30K Limit on ATM transactions.

I know that wise has fees I was referring to the numerous posts claiming wise is far better then cash advance at counter. Thx for stating the facts!

Thx for your post! So I think you are right and the limit is from my german banks. Appartently they treat my cash advance as an ATM transaction and this limit is 1000€ equivalent. Luckily I have 3 cards on me and could withdraw 3K € today. Thai lady at bank could not believe it. I went to Bangkok Bank again in HH Blueport. Worked without any problems fee or waiting time so thumbs up for Bangkok Bank.

Doing a google and grabbing a few images just for examples, below images give an idea of Cash Advance Limit which is part of a person's overall Credit Line.  And just because a cash advance limit is say $2,400 like shown in the first image that does not necessarily "per transaction" as there may be a "per transaction/day" limit of say $1,000.....with a total cash advance limit of $2,400 this means a person would have to make multiple withdrawals of $1,000 or less until they reach their cash advance limit of $2,400.   A person needs to communicate with their card-issuing bank/company to determine the various limits of overall, per day, per transaction, etc., which can vary depending on whether it's done at an ATM or counter. 

image.png.59a79038341e678f0b7cfece54d2f245.png

image.png.e70f8654f770a07761fb01fb91ffc976.png

This topic prompted me to call CapitalOne's customer service number to find out the restrictions they place on their debit card withdrawals at ATM and at the counter.  The default limit is 5K US$/day for counter withdrawals and 2K US$/day at ATM.  You can ask them to raise your counter limit to the absolute max of 25K US$/day.  Their card is MasterCard based without foreign transaction fees.  Unlike Schwab's no fee Visa based card, the ATM fees are not refunded.

At this moment (March 29,'22 10PM) MasterCard exchange rate is 33.81675 and the Visa exchange rate is 33.529 and Wise is 33.515 (but .536% fee so effectively 33.335).

Edited by gamb00ler

3 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

This topic prompted me to call CapitalOne's customer service number to find out the restrictions they place on their debit card withdrawals at ATM and at the counter.  The default limit is 5K US$/day for counter withdrawals and 2K US$/day at ATM.  You can ask them to raise your counter limit to the absolute max of 25K US$/day.  Their card is MasterCard based without foreign transaction fees.

At this moment (March 29,'22 10PM) MasterCard exchange rate is 33.81675 and the Visa exchange rate is 33.529 and Wise is 33.515 (but .536% fee so effectively 33.335).

A beautiful debit card....works great!!!!!

Yeap....if you have a no foreign transaction fee debit card (or maybe a credit card with no foreign transaction fee or cash advance fee), a person can't beat doing a counter withdrawal (a.k.a., cash advance) in terms of forking out less of your home country currency for X-amount of baht.   Like below comparison between using Wise and a no foreign transaction fee Visa debit card to get Bt30K.  The Visa debit card is the winner at this moment in time (29 Mar 2022 at 9:20pm Thai date/time)

Wise Exchange Rate

image.png.b64f5c65d5634502b7f0f0017b51e2a6.png

Visa Exchange Rate

image.png.8d60b2e53591a448cccd69c2d5875fbc.png

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Should be detailed in the card agreement terms and conditions.

Maybe contact them to see if your limit can be increased?

They only mention atm transaction limit. Bank is not answering for months. Card has excellent conditions but no customer service whatsoever.

Advanzia or andasa card in Luxemburg.