Don't mention the war?

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Joking aside (and I agree with the rest of your post)......the rouble, as an investment, is quite tempting.......

Maybe if you plan to short:

"Vladimir Putin is said to be considering a gradual approach to rolling back the harsh capital controls that have propped up Russian markets since the invasion of Ukraine."  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/putin-prepares-stop-propping-russian-202038651.html

The capital controls reversed the declining ruble.  If they are relaxed the ruble will probably resume its fall.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

try to get your facts a little straighter please. NATO doesn't put ANY arms in ANY countries. They only lay down rules asking that various NATO countries spend 2% of a countries GDP.

Whilst I fully appreciate that you are with the 'sane' members here - that's actually wrong.

NATO has moved both weaponry and troops into several member countries close to Ukraine and Russia - however, the question has to be asked........why?  Clearly they have done that in response to Russian threats and aggression.

What a lot of people don't seem to realise is that the threat of expansionism or some form of conflict around Russia's Western borders did not begin in 2022.  Its been going on for a number of years - NATO has had forces on standby in those areas for several years.  The UK for example has had a substantial presence in Georgia for quite some time and British commanders have regularly issued warnings of potential Russian aggression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No.

It may come to war between Russia ( and potentially China ) and America and allies, but when he attacks a country that is actually in NATO or some other treaty with America.

China may not be one of the World's 'good guys' but I think they have a little more sense than Putin - their economy is of paramount importance to them. They support Putin but only to a point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO they are taking very careful note of what has happened with Ukraine, not just from the viewpoint of what sanctions are doing to the Russian economy, but also how advanced Western weaponry is humiliating an army that was thought to be all-powerful.

Poor weaponry explains some of Russia's failures so far but it also appears that many Russian soldiers don't want to be there - it is understandable that they may have very little motivation. They must have been horrified at the lines of Russian tanks etc. that were destroyed as they retreated from Northern Ukraine. The Ukrainians on the other hand are defending their country and therefore have far greater motivation.

That said, I hope the Russian soldiers that have committed attrocities rot in hell but I suspect they are a minority.  The bulk of the Russian forces will no doubt be regular guys - some conscripted and for those, I feel very, very sorry. Forced to fight a totally unjustified war against people that just 2 months ago, many of then considered to be their brothers - some of them will have relatives in Ukraine. Forced by a man that is sitting pretty in his palace without any fears whatsoever whilst they die.

Having failed in the North, it now seems that Putin is determined to take control of the Southeast of Ukraine by throwing more bodies at it.  The Ukranian forces now face a much bigger fight against a man that cannot be seen to lose and I have no doubt that he won't care how many lives that costs.  How they will fare is anyone's guess - they have surprised everyone so far.  I just hope the free world gives them what they need to at least stand a chance.

Edited by KhaoYai

China is actually a winner, they can buy Russian oil and gas at a discount to the world price.

I hope that is taken account of and just as European countries are moving away from Russian fuel permanently - a similar move away from Chinese products takes place.

That is very difficult though - the Chinese have taken so many markets that it is now difficult, sometimes impossible, to find alternatives.

India also needs to be very careful of what they do in terms of trading with Russia.

• Like 2

The Chinese are patient, I doubt that can be said of Putin.

IMO they are taking very careful note of what has happened with Ukraine, not just from the viewpoint of what sanctions are doing to the Russian economy, but also how advanced Western weaponry is humiliating an army that was thought to be all-powerful.

It may deter the CCP from launching a similar invasion of Taiwan. I'd say prospective Russian sales of military equipment to China are dead in the water.

Who would want to buy tanks or helicopters that can be destroyed by a foot soldier?

China is actually a winner, they can buy Russian oil and gas at a discount to the world price.

it's the other way around.

China sells military equipment to Russia's allies, circumventing sanctions on Russia.

Check this out:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/04/11/china-makes-semi-secret-delivery-of-missiles-serbia.html

Don't mention the war!

And don't mention that Moskva, the Russian flagship has sunk in The Black Sea due to a mysterious fire that caused ammunition to explode.  Nothing to do of course, with the 2 Neptune missiles Ukrainian forces fired at it.

I wonder if Putin wishes he could go back 2 months and continue his 'military excercises'. Some superpower!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tgw said:

it's the other way around.

China sells military equipment to Russia's allies, circumventing sanctions on Russia.

Check this out:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/04/11/china-makes-semi-secret-delivery-of-missiles-serbia.html

Quite correct, I was talking about the armaments Russia was hoping to sell to China in the future, after the pact Putin and Xi made a few months ago.

Which is reminiscent of the Molotov - Ribbentrop pact, because China has always had its eyes on the riches of Siberia.

14 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

They were not particularly with him immediately but they did want change.  You cannot seriously believe that the entire German nation supported concentration camps and gas chambers. They were inderstandably resentful over the harshness of the Treaty of Versailles and as such were easy to persuade but I doubt they had any idea what was to come.  Do you think they would have supported him if he'd said at the outset that he intended gassing millions of Jews? 

What he did was to spread disinformation and create hatred of the Jews through lies and propaganda - sound familiar?

I doubt the entire German nation even knew about the camps, or if they did how bad they were, so no, they might not have supported that.

Politicians have always used dislike/ hatred of the other to gain/ retain power. Nothing new there. Quite a bit of it going on these days in more than one country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

That is very difficult though - the Chinese have taken so many markets that it is now difficult, sometimes impossible, to find alternatives.

All it takes is political will to re-establish supply chains internally.

For example, China produces 60% of the world's rare earths. It was more than 90% several years ago. Australia has extensive rare earth deposits that are higher in grade than what the Chinese dig up by a factor of 20 to 1. The Pentagon has already moved to lock in supply from several Australian miners, as has Germany.

I can't think of anything the Chinese produce that cannot be replicated elsewhere, except giant pandas.

Apologies, we are getting off topic.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

3. The premise of the invasion in the first place.  Ukraine has not carried out any actions against Russia, it was no threat to Russia other than the perceived threat in Putin's head.  He has started a war for no good reason - a war that has killed thousands of people - including his own troops.

I'm sure he had a reason that seemed good to him, even if others disagree with it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I take it you like Atlantic City and Las Vegas as well.

The central bank in Russia has dropped the interest rate from 20% to 17%, Australia is sticking with 0.1%. I guess that's a measure of the stability of each currency.

Instability and volatility are the mechanisms by which you make (and lose) decent amounts of money.

18 hours ago, heybruce said:

Maybe if you plan to short:

"Vladimir Putin is said to be considering a gradual approach to rolling back the harsh capital controls that have propped up Russian markets since the invasion of Ukraine."  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/putin-prepares-stop-propping-russian-202038651.html

The capital controls reversed the declining ruble.  If they are relaxed the ruble will probably resume its fall.

All in the timing.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sure he had a reason that seemed good to him, even if others disagree with it.

What is the point of your post? Is there anybody who is suggesting that Putin didn't do it for reasons that seemed good to him? Why would he invade if it didn't seem like a good idea? On a whim? Or that he did it against his will? That the Devil made him do it? 

I'm sure invading Kuwait seemed like a good idea to Saddam. Does that mean it was a good idea?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2