Top doc's advice to prevent Covid spread via medical waste - toilet cleaner

webfact

2pm.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Use toilet cleaner

Thailand's top virologist Dr Yong Poovorawan went on his Facebook page to advise people to use toilet cleaner in the fight to contain Covid.

The Chula medic is worried about infectious ATK, testing kits, being thrown away in regular trash.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

After use the doctor has advised that an ATK kit is given a good dousing in toilet cleaner.

That'll stop the spread from this particular nasty source, reported Daily News

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wait he was just talking about killing the virus on a used ATK test by drowning it in the toilet....reality is if he thinks that what about masks etc....

He did not mention drowning it in the toilet...

he said douse the ATK test kit in toilet cleaner before disposing of it in regular trash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

He did not mention drowning it in the toilet...

he said douse the ATK test kit in toilet cleaner before disposing of it in regular trash.

So from one toxi substance to another which is now on the test kit and not diluted either....

6 hours ago, webfact said:

given a good dousing in toilet cleaner.

Well I never!!  Quote (UK):-

"In 1952 Domestos was sold through retail outlets and distributed nationally where the slogan "kills all known germs dead" was first coined"

• Like 1

Likely more speculative nonsense from this guy. How many scientific studies have been done to determine how long a cotton swab remains infectious after disposal? 5 minutes? One hour? And what would I have to do to get infected from a disposed swab? Dig through the trash, then immediately wipe my eyes or nose, or lick my fingers? Or would Covid mysteriously infect all the other garbage in the bin, and even the outside of the trash bag? And who wouldn't wash their hands thoroughly after digging through a trash bin? 

Just think about all the Covid related nonsense advice we have been given. Where did this guy get his degree? Why is he a top doc? 

1. Wear masks at all times. Even when at home with family. And even while having sex with your partner. 

2. Wear (thin cotton, non medical grade) masks outdoors, even in your car and on your motorcycle. 

3. Avoid swimming in pools. 

4. Avoid beer and wine at restaurants. 

5. Don't eat out. Restaurants are dangerous places. 

6. It is safe to wear a mask into a restaurant, then take it off the rest of the time you are there. 

7. Don't play with water during Songkran. 

8. Depend on low efficacy vaccines. 

9. Avoid travel. 

I could go on. The Covid drivel continues unabated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Likely more speculative nonsense from this guy. How many scientific studies have been done to determine how long a cotton swab remains infectious after disposal? 5 minutes? One hour? And what would I have to do to get infected from a disposed swab? Dig through the trash, then immediately wipe my eyes or nose, or lick my fingers? Or would Covid mysteriously infect all the other garbage in the bin, and even the outside of the trash bag? And who wouldn't wash their hands thoroughly after digging through a trash bin? 

Just think about all the Covid related nonsense advice we have been given. Where did this guy get his degree? Why is he a top doc? 

1. Wear masks at all times. Even when at home with family. And even while having sex with your partner. 

2. Wear (thin cotton, non medical grade) masks outdoors, even in your car and on your motorcycle. 

6. It is safe to wear a mask into a restaurant, then take it off the rest of the time you are there. 

9. Avoid travel. 

44 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

"In 1952 Domestos was sold through retail outlets and distributed nationally where the slogan "kills all known germs dead" was first coined"

But for those people that know the truth, it only Kills 99 % of all known Germs, and the remaining 1 % are taken prisoner.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wait he was just talking about killing the virus on a used ATK test by drowning it in the toilet....reality is if he thinks that what about masks etc....

You just cant give up on the subject of masks can you lol!

Maybe one day he will educate himself and learn that the risk of transmission from a surface is very low.

Instead of giving people silly garbage disposal advice, how about educating people about proper mask usage etc.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

9. Avoid travel. 

Surely you're aware of people digging through trash to find recyclable materials. Since the test kits are plastic they are targets. Kids and other (!) animals can dig through trash too.

I don't expect that such scavengers are especially aware of the dangers.

Now if the garbage is dumped by the road and then burned, as it often is, it would be sterile. ????

As to your other points and how long the virus may viable,  I agree.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

99% of all KNOWN germs.

• Thanks 1