Thai Public Health Minister “deeply concerned” about alcohol drinking during Songkran leading to covid spread, looking at possible stricter control rules

webfact

Omicron definitely likes a good party. I can tell you from personal experience that after 2 years of avoiding this plague, I must have caught it most likely on a flight or at the airport last week. I passed it onto at least 2 contacts by basically being in the same room, each a different meeting. The ease of infection is incredible. No Songkran parties for me .... even though I expect I must be jam packed with antibodies by now.

• Like 2

Drinking alcohol in a responsible manner and within enforced laws is fine, but if you are a Hi So or a member of RTP you can do what you like. Mostly RTP won't enforce common sense laws unless they personally benefit. Corruption in Thailand has to stop starting with the top dogs and all the way down the chain if Thailand ever wants to get out of its current situation. No more military rulers and cut down all these generals & politically appointed wasters who have little clue how to run a country and its economy. What Anutin is saying is just common sense and Thai law which should be legally enforced by RTP on everyone regardless of their status!!!

If this Idiot were anything of a Politician, he would be worried about the amount of drinking in the Country at all times.

The number of people I see on a regular basis just getting paid and going on a 3 Day bender is unbelievable.

Alcoholism must be a major factor in so many of the Countries issues, both economically and Socially, and needs tobe addressed by some people with the will to make things happen, instead of just beating their Gums about the issues.

18 minutes ago, welshissan said:

To the best of my knowledge older people in my wife's parents village they're still waiting for their FIRST Covid injection. That's after going to 2 local hospital asking for the injection, no have !!

I very much doubt that. Where is this village?

5 hours ago, it is what it is said:

look guys, we're relying on you not to drink and drive because to be honest the police aren't going to be around to stop you. so, you just don't do it, ok?

note to self; songkran drink/driving problem solved. next?!

Dont drink alcohol go try my latest push, just go and get stoned ! Get with it Mr A. Lack of enforcement of the traffic law is the main problem.

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

I agree with most of what you say although I'm not sure of the vaccination rates in our village. I think the local temple promotes it so that should encourage those who hang around temples and monks.  Mind you that tends to be more often women in my experience

Where I would disagree is with the idea of allowing people to choose if they don't want a vaccine. The way vaccines work is that most people can have them but there are a small number who can't for various medical reasons. To protect them a high rate of vaccination is needed to reduce the chances of infection.

As long as the government stick to the policy that vaccination is voluntary, (a policy I agree with) they, the government and the dissenters have to accept the consequences.

There has been no shortage of publicity on this matter. As Thais say: 'It's up to them'.

58 minutes ago, kimamey said:

everyone is fully vaccinated,

I also live in village in the North East.  There are a surprisingly large number of vaccinated.

However they haven't any for boosters.  There hasn't been any for weeks.  Also the first round here was Sinovac/Sinovac or Sinovac/Astra for a large percentage.

Many older people we're hesitant, mostly because of Sinovac was on offer.

Lately there's been a large uptick in Omicron cases in our village.

How's it going where your at?

What a joke, this man must be one of the biggest ***** that Thailand has ever had in a position of authority and that is really saying something.

I'm surprised some of the people have any money left to buy alcohol because he and his cronies have done nothing to ease the poverty of a vast percentage of the population.

As someone more famous than me said " Why don't you **** off and die !"

He's a clown of the first order and that's being polite.

• Like 2

This might be worth remembering, if you are active on social media...:whistling:

Alcohol advertising in Thailand is regulated by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, BE 2551 (2008). Under Section 32 of the Act:

• No person shall advertise or display, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage in a manner showing the properties thereof or inducing another person to drink.

Under this Act, even sharing a picture of an alcoholic beverage on social media could essentially mean breaking the law, regardless of whether the post was a paid endorsement or not, and the violator could face a fine ranging from THB 50,000 to THB 500,000 and/or a jail term of up to one year.

Here in Pattaya, I go for a jog at 6am.  I see/hear many all-night parties in shops (not bars) with the shutters pulled down. All Thai people, all getting drunk, all singing and all having a good time.  Anutin, I think the Thai population is ignoring your stupid rules....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pops1 said:

Why are they always so concerned about people enjoying themselves???? Is it because they are so uptight that the thought of people being happy eats them up inside???? The hiso folk in Thailand need to relax they are so stiff they could be wooden.

Agreed. It is almost as if the term hi-so is quite oxymoronic. After all, what are the qualifications? Lots of money? Anything else? 

Class? 

Refinement? 

Education? 

Etiquette? 

Philanthropy? 

Alot of money does not give one class, nor does it mean you are special, on any level. You simply have money. That's it. Some with money are classy, and some rich people are very crude, arrogant and inelegant. 

• Like 2

I haven’t even read the article but my GF brothers is stopping over for 3 days at 7am this morning he is sitting at the breakfast table having a Leo he is by no means an alcoholic he may consume 5 bottles a day but at 7 in the morning let’s get real my impression is most Thais like a drink regardless of time of day the health minister should be more concerned about the daily consumption of alcohol not just what’s consumed over holidays . 

Is he also deeply concerned or care about impact on social, small business and jobs linked to his wims and mismanagement while the rest of the world gets back to living.

If data supports restrictions make it clear as this has being lacking just solo runs and flips

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

I also live in village in the North East.  There are a surprisingly large number of vaccinated.

However they haven't any for boosters.  There hasn't been any for weeks.  Also the first round here was Sinovac/Sinovac or Sinovac/Astra for a large percentage.

Many older people we're hesitant, mostly because of Sinovac was on offer.

Lately there's been a large uptick in Omicron cases in our village.

How's it going where your at?

I'm not really sure about our village but there seem to be quite a few people catching it although so far not with serious consequences. There have been a few where my wife works and her sister had it in Bangkok and there have been others. 

To be honest I don't know how anyone is catching it with all the precautions. Thais are much better at wearing masks than they were before I left in September 2020. There doesn't seem to be a much of the under the chin or hanging off one ear as there used to be and I could swim in the amount of hand sanitiser I've used. 

11 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I'm not really sure about our village but there seem to be quite a few people catching it although so far not with serious consequences. There have been a few where my wife works and her sister had it in Bangkok and there have been others. 

To be honest I don't know how anyone is catching it with all the precautions. Thais are much better at wearing masks than they were before I left in September 2020. There doesn't seem to be a much of the under the chin or hanging off one ear as there used to be and I could swim in the amount of hand sanitiser I've used. 

Thais are just social people.

It's inevitable.

Funerals, temple attendance, large family dinners with the large community dish.

Personally I'm assuming we'll eventually get it ourselves.  I hope its mild and passes quickly.

We've all been double vaccinated, but I am the only one with one Moderna booster at the moment.

Edited by MrJ2U

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No, quite wrong. My Mrs will travel back to her home village as usual and spend about a week there, reuniting with family, and I assure you she will have fun and an enjoyable time. It is not a binary situation. The craziness displayed in Pattaya or Khao Sahn Rd, isn't the essential component you might believe. 

Agreed fully.  The problem with all this <deleted> and it is not just in Thailand look at the crazy things people are arguing about around t he world. Is that politicians do not know when to shut up.

Songkran on

songkran off

bars allowed to open as restaurants but not as bars.

As a Canadian we like to celebrate  July 1st with a big party looks like that is going to be a no no

How do you expect tourists to want to come to a country that has nothing for them.

There is nothing to attract families to Phuket, Pattaya or Bangkok.

With bars closed so there is no partying allowed you have cancelled the young travelers that used to come here from OZ and the UK to let their hair down and have a good time.

Walking street and all the crazy rules restricting the Chang tank top wearing men have discouraged them.

OH Yeah most importantly you have scared the local population so much that if someone sneezes or coughs it is no longer a cold but they have covid.

These idiots need to get off their assets and take a look around.  I have never seen so many malls with areas closed.  Hell Robinson in Future park in Rangsit used to be 4 floors now it is 2.

Personally if I was back in Canada this is the last country I would think of coming to and I like it but all this paranoia is driving me nuts.

• Like 1

This unelected DPM should also be concerned about the morons who throw water at traveling vehicles and motorbikes. 

Drunk drivers should have their vehicles confiscated for a start. What is so hard about that?

2 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

All the crazy rules restricting the Chang tank top wearing men have discouraged them.

Sorry can you clarify these Chang vest rules, did not know about this but it sounds good. Less sweaty blubber on display.

2 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Why did they approve to celebrate Songkran this year?? No water splashing, no big groups gathering, and now no alcohol drinking.... In fact they reduce the National holiday back to normal days, except that everybody will be pushed to travel to their families to spread there the virus, with a ot of traffic deaths and accidents. Cancel the whole celebration or let the people have at least some fun. Of course alcohol and driving are not going together.  I really hope that the next Government will end the hysterical rules of alcohol and that the rules are being normalised as in many western countries.

"no big groups gathering," I would bet that would be the first priority for this soldiers government. As soon as the country opens up and the crowds can gather, there will be thousands of protesters converging on Bangkok.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rott said:

Sorry can you clarify these Chang vest rules, did not know about this but it sounds good. Less sweaty blubber on display.

LOL with the restriction hard for the Thai girls to sit with them them and tell them they are HANSUM man.

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

I haven’t even read the article but my GF brothers is stopping over for 3 days at 7am this morning he is sitting at the breakfast table having a Leo he is by no means an alcoholic he may consume 5 bottles a day but at 7 in the morning let’s get real my impression is most Thais like a drink regardless of time of day the health minister should be more concerned about the daily consumption of alcohol not just what’s consumed over holidays . 

no difference to France many people go to the bars before work a morning beer or wine used to see it a lot with my job 

We're avoiding the Songkran madness, booked 4 nights in a Sukhumvit hotel on the 20th, only 750 baht a night. Decent place with large rooms, views, fitness, and a pool. Walking distance to BTS. We shall imbibe heavily in my favourite Sukhumvit pubs. Oh yes. Cheers mates. ????????