Moving to......Pattaya or Hua Hin. What do you recommend

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Not the south but I suggest Jomtien. However, you need to state more details about your situation and desires and needs.

Ah cheers. Im going to live with my Thai family overthere and start a little business. Have 2 puber kids that have to go to school. For my little business i am aiming on the expats and (future) tourist.

12 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Ah cheers. Im going to live with my Thai family overthere and start a little business. Have 2 puber kids that have to go to school. For my little business i am aiming on the expats and (future) tourist.

Aha.

Then the dark side of Pattaya might be a fit.

What sort of business specifically?

If you want to be closer to town (Pattaya), but still 'live in Thailand' try Naklua. It still has its charm and a little more character than Benidorm, Jomtien.

However if you like your fish and chips and other farangs then Jomtien is fine.......

Edited by sungod
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peter zwart said:

Wife wants to start thai/english course

I would stick to Pattaya where most people are for business, no one will want to go from Pattaya to darkside to learn thai. Could choose central Pattaya, Pratumnak, Jomtien, Naklua is a bit of a dead zone

• Thanks 1

Climate-wise I think that Pattaya/Jomtien is much more pleasant than Hua Hin.

Hua Hin has a very low rainfall in comparison and gets very hot and dry (no sea breeze).

Pattaya/Jomtien on the other hand is cooler (due to the sea breeze) and gets more rainfall.

Land and house prices seem to be similar in either city.

Both are about the same distance from Bangkok, although Pattaya is much closer to Swampy International Airport and also has Utapau International Airport nearby.

Both have Central shopping malls (and other shopping malls) so you can get your essential falung goodies.

If you like to play golf the choices are many in the Pattaya region, whilst Hua Hin is rather limited in comparison.

Just a few pro's and con's for you to consider... I'm sure others can find more.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Needless to say you should visit the competing areas and do market research before committing.

Sound advice. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peter zwart said:

Oh for sure. But i also like to hear the opinion of the tv people

Which place is best for raising kids? School, activities, sports and safety?

I might had chosen Hua Hin above Pattaya. 

• Like 1

What Covid has taught us that many schools and education places have gone online.

You can teach anything from anywhere and i believe that is the future for online courses.

Hua-hin no breeze?Sure they have.

I know both places well and i would suggest you just go visit each place for a few days

and see the difference and what you like.

Both places have good shopping and good golf courses.

I would prefer Hua-hin because it is a little more relaxed and certain things are not in your face but it can be found in both places.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I would stick to Pattaya where most people are for business, no one will want to go from Pattaya to darkside to learn thai. Could choose central Pattaya, Pratumnak, Jomtien, Naklua is a bit of a dead zone

I assume that Thai for native English speakers is the target market so living among mostly other language f-rangs may not be ideal.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Jomtien, south end, from around soi 12. 
probably on beach rd, so you have chance for some other business on the ground floor, school on upper, with top floor for private and sea view. 
if your wife is thai she can also do english courses  

having proper accreditation would give you education visa students. 
probably now the best time for rock bottom prices, before high season at the end of year. If your wife is already in thailand she should now look for space, allowing renovation or rebuilding for several months. 
HH doesnt have beach rd and even beach is washing away by sea current, in large part covered by water at high tide. 
Jomtien is much closer to bkk, 2 motorways, public buses and minibuses from all bus stations and speed train coming sometimes in 5 years time. 
I dont think that HH would recover for many years, to become competitor to pattaya side. 

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I assume that Thai for native English speakers is the target market so living among mostly other language f-rangs may not be ideal.

The common language amongst farang is English, seems sensible to have a business where most of the farangs are vs on the dark side or Naklua

3 hours ago, Encid said:

Climate-wise I think that Pattaya/Jomtien is much more pleasant than Hua Hin.

Hua Hin has a very low rainfall in comparison and gets very hot and dry (no sea breeze).

Pattaya/Jomtien on the other hand is cooler (due to the sea breeze) and gets more rainfall.

Land and house prices seem to be similar in either city.

Both are about the same distance from Bangkok, although Pattaya is much closer to Swampy International Airport and also has Utapau International Airport nearby.

Both have Central shopping malls (and other shopping malls) so you can get your essential falung goodies.

If you like to play golf the choices are many in the Pattaya region, whilst Hua Hin is rather limited in comparison.

Just a few pro's and con's for you to consider... I'm sure others can find more.

Sound advice. :thumbsup:

Thnx very much. Especially the part about weather.wind/rain would be a big plus for me.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

yeah, my first look will be for Jomtien. thnx

3 hours ago, jvs said:

What Covid has taught us that many schools and education places have gone online.

You can teach anything from anywhere and i believe that is the future for online courses.

Hua-hin no breeze?Sure they have.

I know both places well and i would suggest you just go visit each place for a few days

and see the difference and what you like.

Both places have good shopping and good golf courses.

I would prefer Hua-hin because it is a little more relaxed and certain things are not in your face but it can be found in both places.

I will do that. Thnx

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

Jomtien, south end, from around soi 12. 
probably on beach rd, so you have chance for some other business on the ground floor, school on upper, with top floor for private and sea view. 
if your wife is thai she can also do english courses  

having proper accreditation would give you education visa students. 
probably now the best time for rock bottom prices, before high season at the end of year. If your wife is already in thailand she should now look for space, allowing renovation or rebuilding for several months. 
HH doesnt have beach rd and even beach is washing away by sea current, in large part covered by water at high tide. 
Jomtien is much closer to bkk, 2 motorways, public buses and minibuses from all bus stations and speed train coming sometimes in 5 years time. 
I dont think that HH would recover for many years, to become competitor to pattaya side. 

Excellent. As i read the advices Pattaya is a bit in favour. Thnx for your input.