Bought second hand and it lasted only 1 month

Hey guys, we made a mistake and bought a Car for around 4000€ (140.000 bathS) and it only lasted 1 month, in the car shop,says they sold without warranty. The thing is we are going to loose 4k€ and no one is in charge of this situation. Did you guys had any issue like this, can i have any solution? 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Shephirot
  • Confused 1

A few more details?  What exactly broke and can't be fixed that you are abandoning the entire car? How old was the car? What kind if shop did you buy if from?  How did you choose yo buy from this place? Any paperwork of the sale saying no warranty?  Were you told anything prior to sale about it's condition?  If bought formally AS IS, sorty but you bear all the risk my friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is broken?

Why not post price in baht?

What shop?

What did the contract say?

Are you there, or is this family business you sponsored and it's out of your hands and out of reach?

-----

Seems something between engine and another thing don't know really, around 15.000 baths.

140.000 bath

Shop, บายพาสออโต้คาร์

The contract was in thai and they didnt gave me a copy ( my fault)

Iam here in phuket, i will go and be there all the week until they gave me a solution, we don't know what to do really. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shephirot said:

What is broken?

Why not post price in baht?

What shop?

What did the contract say?

Are you there, or is this family business you sponsored and it's out of your hands and out of reach?

-----

Seems something between engine and another thing don't know really, around 15.000 baths.

140.000 bath

Shop, บายพาสออโต้คาร์

The contract was in thai and they didnt gave me a copy ( my fault)

Iam here in phuket, i will go and be there all the week until they gave me a solution, we don't know what to do really. 

from my experience, all serious second hand shops offer a warranty.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jerno said:

A few more details?  What exactly broke and can't be fixed that you are abandoning the entire car? How old was the car? What kind if shop did you buy if from?  How did you choose yo buy from this place? Any paperwork of the sale saying no warranty?  Were you told anything prior to sale about it's condition?  If bought formally AS IS, sorty but you bear all the risk my friend.

-----

Care has 10 years, i guess it can be fixed, i choosed it because it has good recomendations and it was Facebook market.  No she said all was fine, no repair was needed, and he told us was one month warranty. 

What does As IS means? with no warranty?

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I can’t imagine what kind of reliability you expect when buying a car that only costs ฿140,000.  

Looking online at Hondas, it looks like that will get you an 18 year old Jazz with 200-300,000 km.

What kind of warranty would/could you expect at that price?

Maybe one month warranty at least?  Yea but thats ok, i learned the hard way. So if anyone knows any solution would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Shephirot said:
18 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I can’t imagine what kind of reliability you expect when buying a car that only costs ฿140,000.  

Looking online at Hondas, it looks like that will get you an 18 year old Jazz with 200-300,000 km.

What kind of warranty would/could you expect at that price?

Expand  

Maybe one month warranty at least? 

I can't understand why you think that a car sold "as is", with no warranty, should now get a one-month warranty after you've bought it.

37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Except the ones that sell cheap cars at the lowest end of the market with no warranty, that is!    

I think that's a wake up call for many foreigners who wouldn't consider 140K (equivalent) to be the lower end of the market back home.  Between the outrageous taxes on new cars and the low cost of labor to keep them on the road for a long time, used cars just cost more in Thailand.

I paid 150K for a 20 year old pickup that would have sold for less than $2,000 back home.  If I'd known I'd be in Thailand as long as I ended up, I'd have bought a newer, nicer truck.  But I wanted something I could resell without losing my butt if my contract ended abruptly.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I don't see a big problem here fixing the car for 15K BHT. I understand that if it breaks down after one month it's only frustration. An extremely low end used car will require constant repair. But you are not doling out a large chunk of money at once. It is periodic repair of small amounts (being in Thailand) and inconveniences just like we all endured during our college days in the USA. Nothing to complain or regret here. The first car I bought in the USA in 1983 during my college days for $600, may be spent another $2000 over four years but I also managed to make some money delivering news papers, hauling used books for my used book stores from flea markets and miscellaneous other adventures. I will not do the same in my retirement. In Pattaya I don't need a car (bolt is adequate for me) and a motor bikes to run around in back alleys meet my requirements. 

Edited by Onerak

So the sales person said 30 day warranty and it lasted a month. Was the month it lasted February or March? If February you may have a claim, if March, probably not. 

How is it you're losing your B140K if you can have it fixed for B15K?

Just get it fixed. 

Find a good mechanic, English-speaking, who can tell you what is wrong and how much it will cost to fix. Be prepared to walk away. Going back to the shop that sold you the dud is issuing an invitation to rip you off again.

Having been burnt once, I would never buy a car that has been previously owned by an Asian again. Probably like tossing a coin as far as whether the vehicle was maintained at all.

As for buying a car  in that price range from a car shop, and getting a contract in Thai without being able to understand the gist - words fail me.