No positive Thailand stories on here and expat mental health

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know about you, but I mainly participate in the 'fun areas' of the forums.

What is a high quality man/woman, can you have a relationship with a woman 20 years your junior, etc.

Threads don't have to be nice, to be fun, I'm having a whale of a time in Asia, and on this forum.

If I didn't enjoy living in Thailand, I'd move elsewhere.

If I didn't enjoy posting on AseanNow, I'd post elsewhere.

Life is what you make of it, there's nobody else to blame.

A lot of your posts saying if you had your time again you would never live in thailand as cambodia and vietnam much better so its a bit contradictory .

I personally love it here and never pretend I would rather be somewhere else

• Like 2

Just now, whereyougo said:

A lot of your posts saying if you had your time again you would never live in thailand as cambodia and vietnam much better so its a bit contradictory .

Comprehension problem?

I always clearly state if I wasn't already here, I probably wouldn't be coming now.

Back in 2009, when I arrived, Thailand was the best of all the Asean countries.

Now it isn't, for many reasons.

Cambodia and the Philippines are much better choices for retired gentlemen today.

Vietnam would be better as well, if only they sorted out their VISA problems.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Comprehension problem?

I always clearly state if I wasn't already here, I probably wouldn't be coming now.   

Life is what you make of it, there's nobody else to blame.

Yep ... for me 2000, and Thailand best location 'out of the Americas' for retirement, when researched.

Rooted now, so not going anywhere, besides simply too lazy, but if do over, than probably stay in the Americas, buying into first choice, FL, USA as base for retirement, and simply doing out & abouts in the Americas.  As FL, very affordable in 2000, now all USA is silly priced.  SEA, Thailand, really doesn't do anything for me.  No complaints, no regrets, but aside from family, no real reason to be here, since no major health issues, and healthcare expense being the major USA negative.

Edited by blackcab
Colored font removed. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 10:53 PM, whereyougo said:

Its very obviouse that long term posters are suffering mental health issues IMO due to the constant bad news stories without a break.

Be careful people

Have to say that when I'm here, I feel the most relaxed and feel less mental health issues than in my entire life - of course divorcing my first thieving thai wife and marrying my current wife of 7 years has helped with that 99%. My early company pensions are sorted, I have a great tenant on my house that pays regularly and is doing the house up, wife's happy. I can indulge in my own little  (non-bar) hobbies with wife support, so I am pretty all set up now. Forethought, planning and moderation are great abilities,

The bad news on here does not really effect my mental health. Just post what I like after reading latest piece of Thai nonsense story.

Things only effecting my mental health are

1. The stupid baht 

2. The stupid covid restrictions effecting my own 9-12 month travel issues.

3. Try - and failing - to get my 5 year old daughter out of our bed for five years.

Anything else, could not give a hoot

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Comprehension problem?

Back in 2009, when I arrived, Thailand was the best of all the Asean countries.

Now it isn't, for many reasons.

Cambodia and the Philippines are much better choices for retired gentlemen today.

Vietnam would be better as well, if only they sorted out their VISA problems.

No problem in compression but you just stated if you didn't like it here you would move elsewhere. And you just confirmed by saying you would rather not be here now so Im confused. 

Are you leaving something out because makes no sense to me 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Its should not be a problem -whereyougo- I have lived here over 26 years, done most of Asia before settled here. I do recognize that many of the places i visited are now better then before. (Pol Pot isn't around for 1) Also like most, I recognize that although they have improved, Thailand does not have enough negatives to make me want to leave and start again. Along with everyone I know here,  we are all of much the same opinion, that life at this age really couldn't be much better.

It is good to have the uppertunity to be free to move wherever and whenever you want. That gives people freedom to choose, and in most cases a freedom that is not practiced, because you know you already have a good life, and the gras is in most cases not greener in for an example Cambodia.

As the treadstarter I'm missing a bit more positivity in general posts, where negativity seems to flourish and bashing others. 

But to be truly happy in Thailand, you must be a bit mental I believe ???? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me neither,

I don't have insurance

Live in a gated community

Generate my own electricity

Don't need help paying the mortgage

Own a car, m/c and scooter

And have enough pension to buy what I like.

Enjoy living in your nanny state in a single room with no personal transport, no sex and a woman your own age (if you can find one that doesn't prefer cats).

Single room? I have a 2 bed room unit kitchen lounge shower own car and transport on the front door if I need it and railway a few minutes walk from my place and of course free medical care and free hospital

Edited by Meat Pie 47
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 2:15 PM, whereyougo said:

I challenge you to find 5 feel good story on this site .You dont get it mate this is a forum and not CNN .Your a great example just look at the anger in your post and your exactly who Im talking about in my OP

just do what I do and put pretty much everyone on ignore ????

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then I am sure some guys prefer to die crazy but with fun in Thailand compared to surviving until and old age, without fun, somewhere else.

I know where I'm happiest. Think it's a case of getting it in balance and prolonging the fun. So many sad stories of those who pass away lonely in a cold and miserable place. I'd honestly rather go sooner and happier but just don't want the fun and party to stop! Tonight my GF asked me

"why are there so many older farangs coming here to Thailand?". Most of us here know why. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why don't you start some happy threads then?

We both know I would get bashed for wearing rose colored glasses. Ive never seen a forum where there is so much hate generated by its members. But if anyone dare mention the words if you dont like it go home,  then everyone bursts into tears lol

To me the most logical answer to lifes problems whether its a relationship or a home or a career is if your not happy then why not move on? but for some odd reason unhappy expats take massive offense to this very logical advice

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Is it? I don't have to hide in the sticks some where in Nakhon Nowhere pay thru the nose for insurance if you lucky to get any insurance after you turn 70 plus.I don't have to put up with village kids running after me and screaming Faran,Farang,Farang I get a pension of 60.000 baht per months cheap electricity, rent assistant,free bus travel or train and at the end of the month I still have half of my pension left in the bank. Any more questions?

Just making a crazy vs insanity joke......carry on!

On 4/6/2022 at 1:26 AM, whereyougo said:

We both know I would get bashed for wearing rose colored glasses. Ive never seen a forum where there is so much hate generated by its members. But if anyone dare mention the words if you dont like it go home,  then everyone bursts into tears lol

To me the most logical answer to lifes problems whether its a relationship or a home or a career is if your not happy then why not move on? but for some odd reason unhappy expats take massive offense to this very logical advice

I started a happy thread a long time ago. I didn't get bashed for it, but it didn't last long as posters were not interested.

I have no problem telling people that if they ain't happy, to leave, but I also say they probably won't be happy anywhere- not these days anyway. IMO every country has been ruined by greed and PC.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:27 PM, Berkshire said:

If that's what this thread is about, negativity from expats--from the usual suspects--then I'm with you.  There are expats in Thailand who spend most of their waking hours hating on Thailand.  They kind of drown out those of us who are rather happy with our lives in Thailand....even though we're in the majority.  Why they choose to remain in a place they hate, who knows?  But I agree, they should just go home.  Nothing wrong with telling them so.

They probably enjoy being negative. I love a good moan fest myself, but I hope I can also recognize the good things about a place, though sadly I didn't find a single thing to enjoy in Sri Lanka. I was only there a week, but I spent every day wishing I'd gone to LOS instead.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:56 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Single room? I have a 2 bed room unit kitchen lounge shower own car and transport on the front door if I need it and railway a few minutes walk from my place and of course free medical care and free hospital

and yet, some Brits would rather live in LOS than there. Some of us know why.

I lived in London 10 years and despite all the "good" reasons you mention, left it as soon as possible to go live in Thailand instead.

I could fill an entire page with reasons why I didn't want to live there, despite the NHS and trains ( Thailand has them too and loads cheaper- Virgin is a really rubbish train service IMO ).

On 4/5/2022 at 5:32 PM, RichardColeman said:

3. Try - and failing - to get my 5 year old daughter out of our bed for five years.

You have my sympathy, and I doubt I'd have put up with it, but I am immune to children's tears and tantrums. Not many adults can really win over a determined child.

The longer it goes on the harder it gets to solve the problem, but good luck- you'll need it.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:26 PM, whereyougo said:

Most old people have no choices due to lack of money.

Moving home costs a lot of money, especially if you've already paid for your existing home.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 12:32 PM, RichardColeman said:

Things only effecting my mental health are

1. The stupid baht 

2. The stupid covid restrictions effecting my own 9-12 month travel issues.

1 and 2 should be a non-issue. You can't change it. There is no point in thinking about or worrying about or somehow trying to change it. Accept it! And when you accept it then it won't affect your mental health.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 2:15 PM, whereyougo said:

I challenge you to find 5 feel good story on this site .You dont get it mate this is a forum and not CNN .Your a great example just look at the anger in your post and your exactly who Im talking about in my OP

Actually he hit the nail straight on his head. As for feel good stories that is not how things work.

Besides most normal people don't let this go to their heads, some might get depressed but then its not just caused by the site but more because of many other things too.

If your feeling bad you should take care of yourself.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 11:39 AM, whereyougo said:

People complain that is just how it is, i complain too but i would not want to live anywhere else. I complained back in my country too. I am not negative or depressed actually quite happy.

I tried to put some topics in the sports part / lose weight part but people are in general not interested. So i just do that kind of stuff now on other more sports orientated forums. The thing is people here just need  to vent. 

• Like 1

I never watch the news.   Doesn’t matter…..news is everywhere.   YouTube, people talking, impossible to avoid if online.

negative news allows venting, trolling, comedy…..good for health.

avg. Falang is old, alone or with Thai who doesn’t understand English, worries about money, hates the heat, misses real construction, and pollution is a thing.

the people who only say positive things are the real ones to worry about 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

I never watch the news.   Doesn’t matter…..news is everywhere.   YouTube, people talking, impossible to avoid if online.

negative news allows venting, trolling, comedy…..good for health.

avg. Falang is old, alone or with Thai who doesn’t understand English, worries about money, hates the heat, misses real construction, and pollution is a thing.

the people who only say positive things are the real ones to worry about 

The people who put themselves in such a position only have themselves to blame. 

Id never be with a woman that does not speak good English or is not financially independent (has her own income) at least. 

I love the heat why would i else be here. Construction is a problem though there are good people but hard to find. But that is just something you have to accept.