7/11 - Ways to pay with mobile phone?

OK, so i am getting to the point where the only reason to carry cash is to pay in 7/11 - I could really use some kind of payment method that works from directly my phone as just about everywhere else on the planet accepts. For some crazy reason they do not do Prompt Pay, super annoying.

Options that I have found so far:

1. True Money but can't register because the app is ridiculously bad.

2. 7/11 App but can't register because all in Thai so that's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Are there any other phone based wallets or apps that can be used in 7/11?

Thanks in advance.

Persevere with True Money, once you're actually registered it works well.

Note that you will need a Thai ID (pink card) to satisfy their KYC (know your customer). IIRC a WP will also work, but I used my pink card.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Note that you will need a Thai ID (pink card) to satisfy their KYC (know your customer). IIRC a WP will also work, but I used my pink card.

I literally can't register. The app won't accept the scan of the passport so can't get beyond that.

Plus I have more than enough to worry about without getting involved with trying to get a pink ID card at the moment!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Crossy said:

They accepted me using my passport, they arrange a time to call and take selfie with passport, It's a PITA for sure, standard

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tomster said:

I literally can't register. The app won't accept the scan of the passport so can't get beyond that.

Plus I have more than enough to worry about without getting involved with trying to get a pink ID card at the moment!

I pay using my banking app and scanning their QR code or Truemoneywallet which i set up using passport only

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I pay using my banking app and scanning their QR code or Truemoneywallet which i set up using passport only

In 7/11 you can pay using scan? 

Like prompt pay?

I thought that wasn't an option? 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Persevere with True Money, once you're actually registered it works well

It's great, I have it linked to my credit card so never have to refill... My only gripe with TMW is it takes ages to log in, 30 or 40 seconds, so if I forget to login in advance, everyone's waiting uncomfortably at the counter for my phone to login. Does anyone else have this problem? My phone is top end, not underpowered in any way.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

It's great, I have it linked to my credit card so never have to refill... My only gripe with TMW is it takes ages to log in, 30 or 40 seconds, so if I forget to login in advance, everyone's waiting uncomfortably at the counter for my phone to login. Does anyone else have this problem? My phone is top end, not underpowered in any way.

Yeah, you have to be prepared and logged in whilst in the line.

53 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i use QR in shops and some restaurants, haven't tried in 7 Eleven, mostly i pay cash there, a few times Truemoneywallet

So the whole point of this thread is that I don't want to pay cash in 7/11, you can't use a normal scan as you can in other shops and I can't use True Money Wallet.... But thanks for your input. 

37 minutes ago, tomster said:

So the whole point of this thread is that I don't want to pay cash in 7/11, you can't use a normal scan as you can in other shops and I can't use True Money Wallet.... But thanks for your input. 

Seems you give up too easy, you can get Truemoneywallet with some effort

46 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

just tried it took me 10 seconds using fingerprint to login

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

how do I get one of these fabled pink cards if I'm just a recent arrival? I'm on a "retirement visa extension" and living in a condo in the best city in Thailand. Bangkok of course!

OP if you have an Android phone then check out Google Lens. you can take a screenshot (if the app lets you) then open Google Lens, load the screenshot then hit the Translate button. 

I use this all the time to translate stuff esp. from Lazada.

Edited by Lemsta69

Funny, cash doesn't seem like a terrible burden. It's all I ever use. Never had an acceptance problem; never had to show ID; never had a technology delay or problem; never had trouble registering or signing in. 

Didn't matter if I had Android or Apple; didn't matter if I had minutes or cell service; no one was ever confused about what I was doing. Even speaking Thai was almost completely optional, except for knowing my numbers! 555

I'm reminded of this story from the very beginnings of the U.S. Space Program........

The Americans spent an ungodly amount of time and money developing a pen that would work in weightless, zero-gravity space. It was a helluva challenge. But they finally succeeded! I even remember as a kid seeing the commercials on TV for the "Works-in-any-position, even upside-down," "Space Pen!

Exciting! I wanted one! 

The Russians, on the other hand, used a pencil...............

Y'know, I understand. Sort of. You've gotta make yourself happy. It seems you LIKE the technology!

But I, a very contented cash-only user, struggle to understand why you're working so hard to develop a "Space Pen"............ when nothing could be much simpler than just slipping a pencil or two into your pocket---[cash]---and into their hands! 

????????????

Cheers! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Your story doesn't really work. The OP is not trying to solve an absolute need, he is trying to make life easier on himself.

If he really only ever uses cash at 7/11 then I can see the benefit of what he is trying to do; eliminate something totally from his life and therefore have one less thing to manage.

It wouldn't work for me, because I use cash for a few things. But I could even see another benefit of being able to eliminate cash from shopping at 7/11.... Not having to deal with all those silly little coins.

Yes, I can see how much "easier" he's made it for himself. ????????????

Funny thing, though. Never once, using cash, have I ever had to go to an internet site to ask people how to use it! 

I think: Not keeping some cash in one's pocket/pocketbook is incredibly short sighted. Say, for example, the power or cell service goes out. Pretty much anywhere I happen to be...... I can still transact business. Can you?

Or will you have suddenly found yourself in a technology black hole ? 

Cash, on the other hand........ 

Sorry, but as far as I can see, this is a person making a wholly unnecessary problem for themselves........... and then asking others to help them get out of it!

????????????

Cheers! 

14 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Sorry, but as far as I can see

You could of course just read the post and move on, fighting that urge to share your "wisdom" about how cash is king, and technology is doomed.

Unless, of course, you could help the OP.

But I did love your "space-pen" yarn. Haven't heard that one in eons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You could of course just read the post and move on, fighting that urge to share your "wisdom" about how cash is king, and technology is doomed.

Unless, of course, you could help the OP.

But I did love your "space-pen" yarn. Haven't heard that one in eons.

The space pen yarn isn’t true anyway. 

This thread prompted me to try setting up TrueMoney. It wouldn’t scan my passport either.

Edited by Everyman
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 12:58 PM, Moneyhonour said:

I pay in the 7/11 with my iPhone with Apple Pay. I installed my Wise debat card in my Apple Pay wallet.

I open the wallet with my face ID and select the card to use. Very Easy very Fast.

Presumably this should also be possible to have working with your Thai debit card by using a proxy like Curve.