Passanger without helmet, who pays the fine?

tethys

Who pays the fine when you take a moto taxi and you don't wear a helmet?

You or the driver?

Also are these moto taxi drivers know how to evade police stops, or they wont get stopped by the police?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Passanger without helmet, who pays the fine?

Don't give them another idea of how to scam falangs?

Motorcycle taxi picks up falang and has no helmet for him. Police pull them over charges the falang the 800B fine for no helmet. Police and taxi driver share the fine. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

As far as I’m aware it’s only the person in control of the bike / scooter who has to wear a helmet pillion riders are. Ot required to wear a helmet personally I think everyone should be wearing a helmet including the half dozen kids with mum and dad 

• Like 2

A fair bit of ‘hair splitting already’....  

Who cares if its a yellow plate or white...  do we really think insurance will make a difference ???

IF we are worried about getting any medical bills paid in the event of an accident we should have our own decent insurance. Additionally, we’d be silly to go on any motorcycle without a decent helmet. 

I’ve used mototaxis a couple of times in the past 5 years or so (so I’m somewhat hypocritical), but I hate it, those crappy little plastic lids they give us.... I have and will (nearly) always choose to sit in traffic in a taxi instead. 

I ride a motorcycle here and drive - I know I’m safer than the Win riders. 

-----

Who pays a fine: I’ve never seen any official law on this. But I’m quite sure the foreigner on the back (without the helmet) will be the one receiving the fine. 

I wonder what would happen IF the foreigner simply said "write me a ticket and I’ll pay at the station”.... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

As far as I’m aware it’s only the person in control of the bike / scooter who has to wear a helmet pillion riders are. Ot required to wear a helmet personally I think everyone should be wearing a helmet including the half dozen kids with mum and dad 

it is the law to wear helmets.......but there again WHO takes any notice......and who enforces the LAWS ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Taxi bikes generally can avoid the stops, the main rider is liable, if one on back says has no money the ticket is in name of main rider and bike reg

When you look at the helmet they offer you, paying the fine is much better. If you look closely you can see all kinds of movement in the helmet they offer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use Bolt now exclusively for motorbike taxi, half the price as the regular guys, and so far in my experience better bikes. As mentioned they know where police are, they probably have an app similar to the LINE one for Farangs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

When you look at the helmet they offer you, paying the fine is much better. If you look closely you can see all kinds of movement in the helmet they offer.

Yep and the few times i tried they never fit anyway, probably fit thai girls ok

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who cares if its a yellow plate or white...  do we really think insurance will make a difference ???

Do the CTP policies differ between private and commercial registration ?

If yes, then if the scoot is not legally registered as a commercial vehicle the CTP may not cover..... Insurance companies are always looking to wriggle out of a payout.

43 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do the CTP policies differ between private and commercial registration ?

If yes, then if the scoot is not legally registered as a commercial vehicle the CTP may not cover..... Insurance companies are always looking to wriggle out of a payout.

In your hunger to be right about yellow plates and insurance you’ve missed my whole point... 

IF you are on a motorcycle, involved in an accident and need insurance cover because you have a head injury through not wearing a helmet, the Por-Ror-bor cover is not going to cut it.

Beyond wishing you weren’t silly enough to get on the back of a motorcycle without a helmet in the first place, you’ll wish you had your own effective medical insurance. 

The real issue there is then whether that pays out if you been on the back of a motorcycle without a helmet.

Additionally, with both the motorcycle taxi’s with white and yellow plates -  have they even paid their tax ?....  which mean is their insurance even valid in the first place. 

Does the insurance protection from licence motorcycle taxi’s differ at all from standard  Por-Ror-Bor protection (which is minimal) ???

Then, is the yellow plate even a legitimate yellow place / fully licensed motorcycle taxi, is it being operated by the licence rider (not just someone who has swapped a shirt). 

The issue Ralf001, is..... IF you are going to be pedantic about these issues, then you end up going down a whole road of what if, checks and measures to ensure the simple motorcycle trip you are about to take provides the level of protection you are legally entitled to....    

Its just easier to make sure you are covered yourself - and, if you are going to go that far, you’re not the kind of person who gets on a motorcycle without a helmet in the first place !!... 

Edited by richard_smith237

19 hours ago, tethys said:

Who pays the fine when you take a moto taxi and you don't wear a helmet?

If they think there is a risk they usually give you a helmet. Or did when I lived in BKK

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Good question someone else brought up?  

Is the passenger even required by law to wear a helmet?   speaking law only...not common sense that they should

Well, you could compare it to a passenger in a car wearing his seat-belt.  Is their an international law for it or is it country dependent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tethys said:

Well, you could compare it to a passenger in a car wearing his seat-belt.  Is their an international law for it or is it country dependent.

I'm asking if it is a law in thailand explicitly.

5 minutes ago, tethys said:

Is their an international law for it or is it country dependent.

Why does it matter?

If you do the right thing it is usually legal. If you do the wrong thing it is usually illegal 

Each country is independent they do what they like.

Edited by VocalNeal