Car Reviews (personal 'Thai' experience)

KhunLA

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There's been some horror stories about Nissan CVT's.

Having said that, IIRC the fluid change is specified at 70,000 km, so 30,000 km is a fairly large safety margin. The horror stories most likely come from poor maintenance, or the wrong fluid being used.

Do you find the CVT is rather gutless on the mountain roads?

I was concerned about the CVT system when we bought the X-Trail, especially after our experience with the computer controlled dual clutch in our previous car (Ford Fiesta) - but it was surprisingly good on the Mae Hong Son hills and bends.

The 7 manual 'gears' shift smoothly, provide the grunt needed to climb the hills, and also provide decent engine braking for the down hills.

Five hours of over 1000 bends plus steep hills in Thai heat with a heavily laden car is a good test for any gearbox - and it was excellent.  Also, the temp guage never moved, so it managed to keep itself cool.

If left in auto mode it was hopeless, as you needed to read the road and shift down before the switchback bend hills, so it needed the manual intervention to prevent late down-changes.

I think a big diesel SUV or truck would be better for the mountain roads, but for a 2 litre petrol with a big SUV body it did well.

Personally I'd prefer an old style torque converter gearbox, or a manual, for moutain roads, but no complaints about the CVT performed.  And most the current unibody SUV's and almost all auto cars made in Thailand have CVT transmissions, many made by the same company - Jatco.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Please expand, how does that work?

That expired years ago. 

Incentive for 1st time buyers of 1.5 or smaller engine cars / trucks.  Basically a discount for the Hi-So crowd to buy a 2nd car for the family, or if in the market for your 1st and could get financing, then would actually help the Lo-So folks.  Initiated under the Yingluck Shinawatra administration.

It was a rebate of the 'excise tax'. Yes, that much is added to the new car price.

Ex;  Nissan March, you got 60k (as a friend of mine did)

Mazda 2, we got the max, 100k rebate, and had to keep the car 5 years.

Kept people from buying, getting rebate, then selling.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

We had one on family loan for a while. I found the Nissan CVT gutless on the flat roads of Issan! Punting on the River Cam was more exciting.

If I bought a Celerio I'd opt for the manual. At least I could have a bit of fun with it.

Just bought an MG5 a couple of weeks ago, and so far I'm really impressed in the value for money. We ended up buying the top of range model as we were in a hurry and they had the color we wanted on the showroom floor. What clinched the deal for me was the discount offered (40k) which made the "X" model with all the bells and whistles only about 50k more than the "D" model I was intending to buy.

We've had this car for only a couple of weeks, but my first impression is that the "iSmart" technology with its 10" touchscreen included in this model rivals that found in high-end European cars. I've been finding more and more features every day that are not mentioned in any of the sales literature.

A couple of negative points, although not enough to dissuade me from buying this car: It's nearly impossible to see out the back window due to the roofline slope, so you definitely need to rely on the rear camera when backing out (there's also a 360 degree view). It's too early to make a general conclusion, but so far it appears that the gas mileage may end up being below expectations. A caveat to that is that most of the driving I've done has been under terrible conditions due to all of the road construction going on in the area. One annoyance is that the "iSmart" user manual is not available in English, so I'm sure I'm missing out on using some of the technology features. Additionally, the "iSmart" app for smartphones cannot be downloaded from either the Apple app store or Google Play to phones that are considered "out of the region". We would probably need to setup new Thai Google and Apple IDs for use in Thailand in order to download, but haven't tried that yet.

Overall, when comparing this car to others in its price range (Mazda 2, Suzuki Swift, Nissan Note, etc) the MG5 came out way ahead in terms of included features important to us such as 4 wheel disc brakes, 6-way power seat, large touchscreen, technology, navigation, power sunroof, automatic headlights, airbags and horsepower.  Total price was 559,000 with no charge for 1st year insurance, floor mats, window tint and registration fees. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

Just bought an MG5 a couple of weeks ago, and so far I'm really impressed in the value for money. We ended up buying the top of range model as we were in a hurry and they had the color we wanted on the showroom floor. What clinched the deal for me was the discount offered (40k) which made the "X" model with all the bells and whistles only about 50k more than the "D" model I was intending to buy.

We've had this car for only a couple of weeks, but my first impression is that the "iSmart" technology with its 10" touchscreen included in this model rivals that found in high-end European cars. I've been finding more and more features every day that are not mentioned in any of the sales literature.

A couple of negative points, although not enough to dissuade me from buying this car: It's nearly impossible to see out the back window due to the roofline slope, so you definitely need to rely on the rear camera when backing out (there's also a 360 degree view). It's too early to make a general conclusion, but so far it appears that the gas mileage may end up being below expectations. A caveat to that is that most of the driving I've done has been under terrible conditions due to all of the road construction going on in the area. One annoyance is that the "iSmart" user manual is not available in English, so I'm sure I'm missing out on using some of the technology features. Additionally, the "iSmart" app for smartphones cannot be downloaded from either the Apple app store or Google Play to phones that are considered "out of the region". We would probably need to setup new Thai Google and Apple IDs for use in Thailand in order to download, but haven't tried that yet.

Overall, when comparing this car to others in its price range (Mazda 2, Suzuki Swift, Nissan Note, etc) the MG5 came out way ahead in terms of included features important to us such as 4 wheel disc brakes, 6-way power seat, large touchscreen, technology, navigation, power sunroof, automatic headlights, airbags and horsepower.  Total price was 559,000 with no charge for 1st year insurance, floor mats, window tint and registration fees. 

That seems a good price for the X model, sure it wasn’t 659,000 baht ?

2 hours ago, DrDave said:

You have to change your App Store country to Thailand to download the MG app on an iPhone, you can change the country back afterwards.

The dealership needs to set up the app for you to enable it.

To be honest i only use the remote start and air con feature to cool the car down, but the good thing about it is there’s no limit on range which I think there is with the key fob remote start cars. One poster started his car every week when he returned to the US for a while.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have a CVT in my 1.2l Honda amaze. 8yrs and 140,000km later its still going strong, but it laboured once or twice on the road to Doi phu Kha in Nan. I've had no problems driving the hills in Chiang Mai though. 

I wish it had more power but I know I have a heavy foot. This way is better for everyone. Zero speeding tickets is a testament to that. 

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Having said that, IIRC the fluid change is specified at 70,000 km, so 30,000 km is a fairly large safety margin. The horror stories most likely come from poor maintenance, or the wrong fluid being used.

The horror stories are that some manufacturer in Thailand is refusing to let customer specify transmission fluid replacement on pain of voided warranty, even though some of these CVT boxes are known to fail, and earlier fluid replacement schedule might prolong it somewhat, some even specify that their fluid is 'lifetime' and needs no replacement ever

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That's where he went yesterday after ruining that really great thread from @Crossy about the EV Mini.

You mean the one titled "4xx hp per tonne", where I mentioned that hp would not be available?

I was commenting on the content. Pretty sure that's allowed.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The CVT is made by Jatco, now part owned by Nissan, Mitsu and Suzuki. Fluid change is determined by type of use, granny shopping, 60,000km, Trans driving, 30,000km, that info is out there. The correct fluid is paramount for longevity.

Can't say I have ever been on mountain roads, but the kickdown works OK, and sports mode gets it moving, plus the 2 stage gearing is an improvement on previous offerings..????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

The CVT is made by Jatco, now part owned by Nissan, Mitsu and Suzuki. Fluid change is determined by type of use, granny shopping, 60,000km, Trans driving, 30,000km, that info is out there. The correct fluid is paramount for longevity.

Can't say I have ever been on mountain roads, but the kickdown works OK, and sports mode gets it moving, plus the 2 stage gearing is an improvement on previous offerings..????

Do elaborate, the phrase "Trans driving" gives rise to all kinds of speculation.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

The horror stories are that some manufacturer in Thailand is refusing to let customer specify transmission fluid replacement on pain of voided warranty, even though some of these CVT boxes are known to fail, and earlier fluid replacement schedule might prolong it somewhat, some even specify that their fluid is 'lifetime' and needs no replacement ever

Thanks for that, the horror stories I am getting are from Australia.

Lifetime fluid is the new buzzword for planned obsolescence? Vance Packard would be proud.

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thanks for that, the horror stories I am getting are from Australia.

Lifetime fluid is the new buzzword for planned obsolescence? Vance Packard would be proud.

I think the lifetime fluid allows for a closed system, keeps service prices low, and stops boneheads from dicking with it. 

As long a good synthetic fluid does not overheat and stays clean it should last a good long time.

I also think the phrase "planned obsolescence" is often misused. The "plan" is to have new features and styling such that someone (Toyota is great at this) with brand loyalty buys a new car they don't really "need". If the plan is to have the transmission blow prematurely compelling the a once loyal customer to buy a new vehicle, they will likely look at other brands....

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the lifetime fluid allows for a closed system, keeps service prices low, and stops boneheads from dicking with it. 

As long a good synthetic fluid does not overheat and stays clean it should last a good long time.

I also think the phrase "planned obsolescence" is often misused. The "plan" is to have new features and styling such that someone (Toyota is great at this) with brand loyalty buys a new car they don't really "need". If the plan is to have the transmission blow prematurely compelling the a once loyal customer to buy a new vehicle, they will likely look at other brands....

You may be right; however, I would be questioning what lifetime really means.

Toyota have built brand loyalty on the basis of product durability. The 1.5 litre engine and gearbox in the Vios is basically bulletproof, and there are plenty of examples more than 15 yo still running around. OTOH, there are some brands where the owner is continually digging into their wallet to keep them on the road.

The old joke with Ford was it stood for Fix Or Repair Daily. With Jaguars, you bought two of them to ensure at least one was not in the service shop. IIRC, every MGA owner had the page on tuning the twin carburettors in the glove box.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right; however, I would be questioning what lifetime really means.

Toyota have built brand loyalty on the basis of product durability. The 1.5 litre engine and gearbox in the Vios is basically bulletproof, and there are plenty of examples more than 15 yo still running around. OTOH, there are some brands where the owner is continually digging into their wallet to keep them on the road.

The old joke with Ford was it stood for Fix Or Repair Daily. With Jaguars, you bought two of them to ensure at least one was not in the service shop. IIRC, every MGA owner had the page on tuning the twin carburettors in the glove box.

I've had four Toyotas ana I'm driving one of them now.

How many Fords have you owned? The most trouble-free and lowest cost of operation vehicle I've every owned was an '89 Ford.

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I've had four Toyotas ana I'm driving one of them now.

How many Fords have you owned? The most trouble-free and lowest cost of operation vehicle I've every owned was an '89 Ford.

Three. 1973 Ford Fairmont, rust bucket by design that ate radiators because heat transfer was under-designed. 80's Ford Laser, possibly the most gutless vehicle I have ever owned. A second Ford Laser, better for power. Went through two windscreens under warranty until the Ford service manager figured out there was a high point in the frame responsible for stressing the glass.

I guess I was a glutton for punishment.

I had four Mitsubishi's as company cars, IMO an underrated brand.

On 4/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, transam said:

A quick look back in time. 

Mini Cooper 970S 65hp and 75Nm 

Suzuki Celerio (998) 66hp and 89Nm

Suzuki has some middle-aged spread at 800Kgs vs 635kgs.

16 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

A quick look back in time. 

Mini Cooper 970S 65hp and 75Nm 

Suzuki Celerio (998) 66hp and 89Nm

Suzuki has some middle-aged spread at 800Kgs vs 635kgs.

998cc Suzuki Celerio    68hp.

998cc Mini Cooper,      55hp.

970cc  Mini Cooper S   65hp.

1071cc Mini Cooper S   70hp.

1275cc  Mini Cooper S 76hp.

Suzuki Celerio, 4 doors, more glass, driven A/C pump, E-power steering, much bigger car, bigger wheels. ????

7 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

The MG used to be a British manufacturer but from what I have heard they are now Chinese, does anyone know if that is correct?

MG was a brand bought up by the British Motor Corporation, when BMC collapsed BMW bought the remaining Rover Group which MG was part of. BMW sold the MG name to the Chinese motor co. SAIC.

They use the MG brand name and history to sell their Chinese rides, they even have a Union Jack flag with Brit written on it on the boot. ☹️

1 minute ago, transam said:

MG was a brand bought up by the British Motor Corporation, when BMC collapsed BMW bought the remaining Rover Group which MG was part of. BMW sold the MG name to the Chinese motor co. SAIC.

They use the MG brand name and history to sell their Chinese rides, they even have a Union Jack flag with Brit written on it on the boot. ☹️

I have seen them and they look ok but I tend to avoid Chinese made products, most turn out to be troublesome

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

Don't think Chinese care about the brand name or the history, just the established, registered distribution centers.  Though not dumb enough to not get rid of the UJ or Brit designed emblem, as there apparently are people ignorant enough to think it matters.

What China MG makes vs the past produced vehicles is night & day, and thankfully don't resemble their past failures at all ... ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1