Mail Forwarding Service (virtual mailbox?)

DodgerRodger

Hi, I was hoping someone could give some advice on the viability of signing up for such a service in Thailand.  Does anyone have any experience of this, which companies are recommended?  Forum search has been unhelpful so apologies if this has come up before.

I'm concerned about small amounts of personal mail only.  Pension matters, bank cards from overseas etc.

TIA

Dodger

21 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

Hi, I was hoping someone could give some advice on the viability of signing up for such a service in Thailand.

What sort of service are you actually after, they do vary a bit.

I am from the UK and been using a service for nearly 10 years called UKPostbox.   I have very little forwarded, most of the mail they open and scan and I read it online, download it if I want to keep a copy.

Anything where I want to keep the original I could have forwarded to me in Thailand either by courier such as TNT or Royal Mail. I am never in a hurry so I forward it to my son and pick it up next time I am over. I never use my UK cards of any type in Thailand, for credit cards my son sends a copy of the front and back and that is all you need for online purchases.

If I want to send a letter, I can upload it and they post it for me.

There are a few to pick from but been quite happy with the one I have. Back in 2016 I took BA to court over a cancelled flight from here in Thailand, something I couldn't have done without the service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Many organisations refuse to send items to a mailbox especially banks and the  mailbox addresses are well known.

It's not a Mailbox being asked for, but mailing service. The kind of thing where they open your mail, scan and forward to you. If you then require that info as and original, they forward to you.

• Like 2

I've been using Anytime Mailbox for my overseas address and for opening/scanning my mail there and sending to me from Sydney to here in Bangkok.

I note that they also have an affiliate in Bangkok that provides mail opening/scanning/email service from a Bangkok address:

https://www.anytimemailbox.com/l/thailand/bangkok

Edited by mark5335
  • Like 2

Sorry DezLez for being a bit late getting back to the forum.

Many thanks for all the replies.  Very useful ideas to consider.  But just to confirm, I am looking at a service within Thailand as I thought that would be easier (but now not so sure).  Also I envisage it to be an office where mail is opened and scanned/forwarded/shredded as per my instructions.  However, I do have the added problem of having to receive official-type mail from UK as well as Hong Kong.  Maybe the HKG stuff can go to the UK first?  I like SandyF's approach and this would be ideal except for lacking family support.

I'll take a look at the options and see how I can deal with this best.

Many thanks to all again.

• Like 1

Thanks for you answer DD
sandyf's option (UKPostbox) appears to be similar to mine (myUKpost.com).  As chilly07 pointed out UK banks etc. will not send to a PO BOX or Mailbox number address.  myUKpost.com  give you an actual residential address which my banks etc. are perfectly happy with so suggest you make sure of the type of address your eventual forwarding company uses.

Also note that using a UK based company "shows" the banks/pensions etc. that you are still in the UK if that is required.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DezLez said:

.  myUKpost.com  give you an actual residential address

residential address or what looks to be a business address ?

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

"signing up for such a service in Thailand"

Seems to me the OP is asking for this IN THAILAND not from other (home) countries.

Obviously the OP has clarified, but I signed up for such a service in Thailand. In other words when I registered with UKPostbox it was as a Thai customer.

I never paid VAT up until last year when the UK government changed the law, personal  accounts can no longer get VAT exemption, only business accounts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

residential address or what looks to be a business address ?

No you use your name and the given address just as it would appear if you owned or rented the premises.  There is no company name or anything to say it is anything other than your personal address.  

I suggest you go to the website and read up about how it is done!

I have used  it for many years with no problems.

Unless you need something forwarded to you there is no need for the mail company to know your actual address and when I need something forwarded I get it sent to a friends address.

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Thanks for you answer DD
sandyf's option (UKPostbox) appears to be similar to mine (myUKpost.com).  As chilly07 pointed out UK banks etc. will not send to a PO BOX or Mailbox number address.  myUKpost.com  give you an actual residential address which my banks etc. are perfectly happy with so suggest you make sure of the type of address your eventual forwarding company uses.

Also note that using a UK based company "shows" the banks/pensions etc. that you are still in the UK if that is required.

UKPostbox also provide what they call a "High Street" address, I have that option. I chose the cheapest which is the address of their premises. My bank picked it up as being business premises but when I explained they were quite happy with the arrangement. Been ok for all other organisations including as I mentioned, the Small Claims Court.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DodgerRodger said:

But just to confirm, I am looking at a service within Thailand as I thought that would be easier (but now not so sure).

The main reason I signed up for the service was the problem of mail getting here and the time it took. I live out in the sticks and i think they wait till there is enough mail to warrant the postman coming to the area. We never get one letter,  always 3 or 4 stapled together.

• Haha 1

For those of you using  USA mail services -

How do you have the mail forwarded to you in Thailand?

What is the cost and how long to receive?

I'd like my mail periodically forwarded here - not in a hurry to receive it, so looking for the cheapest method.

Included in the mail will be Credit/ATM/Debit cards.

Edited by JimmyJ

8 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

For those of you using  USA mail services -

How do you have the mail forwarded to you in Thailand?

What is the cost and how long to receive?

I'd like my mail periodically forwarded here - not in a hurry to receive it, so looking for the cheapest method.

Included in the mail will be Credit/ATM/Debit cards.

I'm having travelingMailbox forward me a credit card right now. $5.65 for USPS 1st class.  Will take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks.  Not all virtual mailboxes let you pick USPS some make you use one of the couriers (FedEx, UPS, DHL).  I only have credit cards forwarded all other mail I have scanned and read online.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, CharlieH said:

"signing up for such a service in Thailand"

Seems to me the OP is asking for this IN THAILAND not from other (home) countries.

Also I got the impression that the OP was looking for a mail forwarding service located in Thailand to which mail arriving for him from outside Thailand could be addressed and which would open and scan this mail and forward it electronically to the OP.

However, when I came to the part in his opening post about being 

...concerned about small amounts of personal mail only.  Pension matters, bank cards from overseas etc...

and saw that he liked replies suggesting mail forwarding services in the UK and the US I got – and remain – confused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Puccini said:

However, when I came to the part in his opening post about being 

and saw that he liked replies suggesting mail forwarding services in the UK and the US I got – and remain – confused.

Sorry if my activity causes confusion.  However, I do not equate me "liking" a post with me being interested in pursuing it.  I merely appreciate people making genuine useful comments that are helpful for my research and also potentially helpful to others.

I remain hopeful that I can find a reliable mail forwarding service based in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 5:30 PM, skatewash said:

I'm having travelingMailbox forward me a credit card right now. $5.65 for USPS 1st class.  Will take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks.  Not all virtual mailboxes let you pick USPS some make you use one of the couriers (FedEx, UPS, DHL).  I only have credit cards forwarded all other mail I have scanned and read online.

Ever have a problem receiving a cc here via US 1st class mail?

3 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Ever have a problem receiving a cc here via US 1st class mail?

No, but you will only receive tracking information while it is transiting the US, once it gets to Thailand you get no further updates until it's delivered.  But I've never had one go missing.

• Like 1