Buying a house in the sticks - what should I inspect?

I am looking at a few houses outside outside of Hua Hin (near mountains/large hills) where the current owners have bought the land and then built the house on there. The houses are surrounded by farmland or grass-land with a main road a 100 meters or so away.  There is no neighbor next door or on the same road (if they are they are a 100m+ away).

I'm new looking at this type of house so I'm wondering what should I be looking for asides for the usual build quality feature when looking for a home because of the location?

Flooding areas?

Foundations of the house?

Alterative supplies of electricity? 
Who owns the land next to me?

In terms of pricing would a house further away from everything be valued less than a house the same size in a moo-ban closer to Hua Hin i.e Hin Lek, khao tao etc?

Few answers:
- flooding, you should actually easily see on the outside walls of the building, flooding normally leaves marks. My main question would be, whether the house / the land it is built on is elevated towards the surrounding area, i.e. rice fields around it 

- water: where does it come from, does the house eventually have a well, is there a large enough tank in case of water outage?

- electricity: out in the sticks, you will not be the first priority of PEA in case of outage. Therefore, solar panels or a backup generator would be advisable.

• Like 1

I would not contrate so much on the house, as that is quite cheap to modify and change, take away or build out. Like you say, flooding is important. However, the most important for me would be the sticks and the people already living in the sticks. They might end up be the ones who force you to rethink your decision.

• Like 1

When time to sell, it will take much longer, as nobody wants a long commute to work.  Our last house took 3 yrs to sell, and was only 15 kms out of town, Udon Thani.  That sold to a retiring foreigner & family.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...