Red-shirt followers gather in memory of those who died in 2010 crackdown

webfact

49 minutes ago, candide said:

The middle and high class people from Bangkok who occasionally protested were not paid. The others, who were coming from Southern provinces and were there day after day, eating and sleeping in camps, were paid. 

Those middle class and white collar citizens were disappointed with the violent outcome of the demonstration and left. Suthep was struggling to keep the demonstration going and bused in supporters from the Democrats’ strongholds in southern Thailand and recruiting students from vocational schools notorious for brawls. 

Suthep has to keep the demonstration going as part of his plan with Prayut to take out the Thaksin regime. This plan was hatched out since 2010 and Suthep openly admitted the plan. The plan climaxed with Prayut infamous words that Suthep was exhausted and he was taking over. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, candide said:

Quite nice people, these yellow protesters! ????

It's not like they would seize an airport, assault government buildings, assault voting places, attack voters and carry popcorn.

17927021_h26799196-4347f3dfaf67c2bfaadf364338a1cfe1f8511174.jpg

Yes, a few of the yellow shirts were bad people...

red-shirt-rally-bangkok-april-23-004.jpg

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw lots of yellow shirt supporters. I would call many of them middle class.

And I saw the aggressive red mob in their pickup trucks and at their barricades terrorizing the city.

They were very different from each other.

And I spoke with a few people who got offered money to join the red shirts in the middle of the city. For what? Democracy? Give me a break. 

Were you there under orders, wearing a uniform and holding a gun? It certainly sounds like it. Maybe your still under orders to troll for the junta to justify their illegal hijacking of an elected government. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IanDelMar said:

Were you there under orders, wearing a uniform and holding a gun? It certainly sounds like it. Maybe your still under orders to troll for the junta to justify their illegal hijacking of an elected government. 

No, I was there to watch them and cheer for them. It wasn't necessary to pay me for that.

The yellow shirts helped to get rid of Thaksin. What a beautiful day.

3 hours ago, candide said:

Quite nice people, these yellow protesters! ????

It's not like they would seize an airport, assault government buildings, assault voting places, attack voters and carry popcorn.

17927021_h26799196-4347f3dfaf67c2bfaadf364338a1cfe1f8511174.jpg

that guy doesn't look at all like a psycho killer ????

could have been a red or yellow shirt, doesn't matter for such characters, they go where the blood is

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

No, Suthep organized the 2013/2014 protests to overthrow an elected government and prevent an election to elect another.  However when his protest was dying of apathy the army stepped in and overthrew the government for him.

Looking at your posts, it's quite clear you have absolutely no idea of what was or is going in Thai politics.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

he Yellow Shirts were a direct result of Thaksin stopping the Thai government owned banks from giving billions to the select few,

This has to rate as one of te most inaccurate comments on this thread.

Most of the papers and literature on Thai politics since the 1930s is banned in Thailand - so, may I suggest that you get hold of these documents when you are abroad and read them....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Looking at your posts, it's quite clear you have absolutely no idea of what was or is going in Thai politics.

Having lived through the events, I would very much like for you to identify the errors in the post you dismissed.

13 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

What is innacurate in the post you quoted?

From what I remember, the protest coup failed as Suthep's mob was spreading thin. The legal coup failed because they could only remove Yingluck and a few others. They was no way an appointed government could be put into power according to the constitution. New elections were agreed  by the EC (an EC which had been appointed by Abhisit) for July. The only way to prevent Thai citizen to choose their government was a military coup. Prayut was told to make a coup as all other options had failed.

PS. OK there was also the succession issue as an additional motive.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is innacurate in the post you quoted?

From what I remember, the protest coup failed as Suthep's mob was spreading thin. The legal coup failed because they could only remove Yingluck and a few others. They was no way an appointed government could be put into power according to the constitution. New elections were agreed  by the EC (an EC which had been appointed by Abhisit) for July. The only way to prevent Thai citizen to choose their government was a military coup. Prayut was told to make a coup as all other options had failed.

PS. OK there was also the succession issue as an additional motive.

People just regurgitate the same old cliches over and o=ver, basically they have only read te newspaper (EL version) that was tolerated by the government. It doesn't even scrape the surface of what was actually going on at the time or take into account history of the movements for democracy in Thailand - and the crucial role played by the "eastern Tigers - oe needs to look at who they owe allegiance to as well.

Unfortunately people like to look at it as some kind of football match - it isn't helped by trying to classify them as red and yellow shirts - there's so much more to it than that.

There sin reality vey little oe can say about real Thai politics as thee is way too much censorship about/ Not only under law but most of the media in Thailand. especially the English Language media self-censors to avoid being shut down or prosecuted.

"What is inaccurate in the post you quoted?" - so in answer to your question, as I said earlier, if you really want to understand Thai politics you will have to read publications that are not readily available in the Kingdom.

BTW - what is a "legal coup"????

Edited by Thunglom

32 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

People just regurgitate the same old cliches over and o=ver, basically they have only read te newspaper (EL version) that was tolerated by the government. It doesn't even scrape the surface of what was actually going on at the time or take into account history of the movements for democracy in Thailand - 

Unfortunately people like to look at it as some kind of football match - it isn't helped by trying to classify them as red and yellow shirts - there's so much more to it than that.

There sin reality vey little oe can say about real Thai politics as thee is way too much censorship about/ Not only under law but most of the media in Thailand. especially the English Language media self-censors to avoid being shut down or prosecuted.

"What is inaccurate in the post you quoted?" - so in answer to your question, as I said earlier, if you really want to understand Thai politics you will have to read publications that are not readily available in the Kingdom.

Speculating on the real cause of the coups are fair game for all. Foreign publications are opinion pieces and provide their perspective of the royal intrigue in the coups. He was ailing and perhaps someone influential took advantage and plotted or perhaps the military took advantage too. No one can claimed to know the real reason.

36 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

People just regurgitate the same old cliches over and o=ver, basically they have only read te newspaper (EL version) that was tolerated by the government. It doesn't even scrape the surface of what was actually going on at the time or take into account history of the movements for democracy in Thailand - and the crucial role played by the "eastern Tigers - oe needs to look at who they owe allegiance to as well.

I have read them too from various websites while I was in  Farangland. The Australian academic one, the blue one, the analysis of the cable leaks, etc... I know about tne Eastern Tigers, Prem, the succession, etc...

While these publications provide more in-depth understanding, I don't see how they would fundamentally contradicts was has been posted.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Speculating on the real cause of the coups are fair game for all. Foreign publications are opinion pieces and provide their perspective of the royal intrigue in the coups. He was ailing and perhaps someone influential took advantage and plotted or perhaps the military took advantage too. No one can claimed to know the real reason.

It is not "speculation" I it is opinions formed by those in possession of facts and evidence that it seems many are not only unaware of but just don't have the critical thinking skills to appreciate the problem.

9 minutes ago, candide said:

I have read them too from various websites while I was in  Farangland. The Australian academic one, the blue one, the analysis of the cable leaks, etc... I know about tne Eastern Tigers, Prem, the succession, etc...

While these publications provide more in-depth understanding, I don't see how they would fundamentally contradicts was has been posted.

Then there is little hope for you.

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It really is shocking how much disdain you show for the Thai electorate, as demonstrated in this post here.

The Thai electorate didn't protest. The red mob protested and burnt half the city. Is that what you call democracy?

And apart from that, do you think people who vote again and again for corrupt leaders and their family member are smart?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The Thai electorate didn't protest. The red mob protested and burnt half the city. Is that what you call democracy?

And apart from that, do you think people who vote again and again for corrupt leaders and their family member are smart?

The red mob was protesting in order to give the Thai electorate the possibility to vote and choose its government. Of course, they expected to win elections, but that would have been eventually the choice of the Thai electorate. 

The yellow mob was protesting in order to impose an unelected government to the Thai electorate, and deprive the Thai electorate from the right to choose  its government.

You can try to twist it as much as you want, That's fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, Eric Loh said:

Ït could be said that those "black shirts" would not have emerged if Ahbisit addressed many of the concerns that motivated the protesters instead of using the army to suppress the demonstration. Supression without accomodation begets a movement towards armed retaliation. 

What a surprising comment. Not!

It's also true, and you conveniently don't mention it, natawut's ilk went all out to invoke violence and wouldn't listen / discuss any other views, etc. 

The red mob was protesting in order to give the Thai electorate the possibility to vote and choose its government. Of course, they expected to win elections, but that would have been eventually the choice of the Thai electorate. 

The yellow mob was protesting in order to impose an unelected government to the Thai electorate, and deprive the Thai electorate from the right to choose  its government.

You can try to twist it as much as you want, That's fact.

No point in arguing with him. He quite simply refuses to accept that the Thai people have the right to decide who should govern them.

Whether it is through plain old fashioned disdain for democracy ( some might call it fascism), a belief that as a people they are incapable of doing so to his satisfaction ( some may call it racism) or a steadfast belief that he knows better ( some might call it "the white man's burden") remains unclear; possibly a toxic cocktail of all three, laced with an underlying current of absolute self entitlement, but still,there is little point arguing.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It really is shocking how much disdain you show for the Thai electorate, as demonstrated in this post here.

What rubbiish.

"...What motivated many of those protesters was money..." facts are facts.

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Then there is little hope for you.

The fact that there are other causes than the ones commonly admitted, doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive. The coup was the outcome of a conjunction of different factors.