Bathroom drain stench in Thailand rooms

wn78

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A lot of traps in Thailand are bell traps, there is no S/P trap under the floor.

Bell traps can dry out, and often people remove the bell when cleaning etc.

Good to know.  Makes me think, it's not the shower but the other floor drain that is more likely to dry out since it's rarely in use.  Next time I encounter the smell, I'm going to use the bum gun to poor some water into it.

Edited by wn78

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Not read all the comments......but even with traps, if there is no venting you risk sewer gases making their way back out passed the trap.....and as I understand it Thais simply don't go in for venting....???

Actually septic tanks are vented but toilet itself may not be - but gray water is normally not sent to septic tanks so what comes up drains is the gray water system smells.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually septic tanks are vented but toilet itself may not be - but gray water is normally not sent to septic tanks so what comes up drains is the gray water system smells.

As the toilet flushes into the septic tank it must push the air in front of it (in the soil pipe) into the tank and, as you say, out of the septic tank vent........without venting the soil pipe itself, will result in a partial vacuum in the soil pipe which has to be filled by air from the septic tank or by air pushing passed the toilet trap....... both of which risk foul gases being emitted.......not stating a fact.......really asking the question as I am trying to understand this venting lark. 

Edited by Will B Good

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We moved into a new house a couple of years ago... the toilet in Ground floor guest bathroom wasn’t even plumbed in properly - it was just put there (the holes didn’t even align !)...

Its the details....  There’s a laughable saying in Thailand... “Farang think too much”... in reality, it is these issues that occur when the cultural norm is not to. 

That's why I get such a kick out of the guys who are thrilled that they can build the way they want, with no pesky permits, inspections, tradies, or codes.  Then spend the next 10 years tracing mysterious electrical, plumbing and structural "quirks".  With fingers crossed that their loved ones don't get electrocuted.

17 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

As the toilet flushes into the septic tank it must push the air in front of it (in the soil pipe) into the tank and, as you say, out of the septic tank vent........without venting the soil pipe itself, will result in a partial vacuum in the soil pipe which has to be filled by air from the septic tank or by air pushing passed the toilet trap....... both of which risk foul gases being emitted.......not stating a fact.......really asking the question as I am trying to understand this venting lark. 

In my experience the partial vacuum of no vent at toilet exit causes slow drain/backup - the toilet bowl water will still prevent smells unless it does not empty.

1 hour ago, wn78 said:

Good to know.  Makes me think, it's not the shower but the other floor drain that is more likely to dry out since it's rarely in use.  Next time I encounter the smell, I'm going to use the bum gun to poor some water into it.

That works well.  

14 hours ago, itsari said:

I agree what you point out about Thai floor wastes . 

Any p trap or s trap can dry out if not used . 

I have an en-suite bathroom in my main bedroom that I never use. The only time I go in there is every couple of months to flush the toilet to get the P-trap filled with water. It dried out once - a long time ago - and the smell was pretty bad!

I then put a reminder on my PC to flush the loo every 2 months!  ????

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Not read all the comments......but even with traps, if there is no venting you risk sewer gases making their way back out passed the trap.....and as I understand it Thais simply don't go in for venting....???

Yes, I can't work that out either.  In fact, if you do put traps in all round you will almost certainly need a vent pipe or the system might not flow too well. I have one planned.

But its another place where creepy crawlies (or worse) can get in if care is not taken.

After seeing a few news reports I have taken to taking a good look before I sit on the loo and I tend not to spend more time there than is absolutely necessary ????.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 1

Classic case of overthinking the situation. Too many fatangs are mentally unstable to live overseas. 

"Where can I buy socks?", "Where can I buy a tooth brush?", "Where to buy furniture?" As I'm too dense/stupid and inept to move forward.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Classic case of overthinking the situation. Too many fatangs are mentally unstable to live overseas. 

"Where can I buy socks?", "Where can I buy a tooth brush?", "Where to buy furniture?" As I'm too dense/stupid and inept to move forward.

Quite right... You are the only fatang......oh.. I see what you did there, genius ! mixing farang a fat... 

... you clearly exemplify mentally stability and brilliance....  Obviously only you are worthy of living here !

Now... on topic...  drain stench... 

• Haha 1