Tourists in Phuket exposed breaking the water splashing rules - police are nowhere

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Pichet said that throwing water - using water guns and vehicles to get about - was a no-no. But sprinkling, that was alright.

have been trying to figure out what that means but to no success

Why, when reporting a negative item, do foreigners get priority treatment in the editorial? Pretty sure there are far more Thais than tourists involved in these shenanigans so why give foreigners top billing? Trying to insinuate the foreigners were leading the Thais astray perhaps? Not saying foreigners weren't involved, just not sure they were the bulk of the problem.

Just now, Flink said:

Why, when reporting a negative item, do foreigners get priority treatment in the editorial? Pretty sure there are far more Thais than tourists involved in these shenanigans so why give foreigners top billing? Trying to insinuate the foreigners were leading the Thais astray perhaps? Not saying foreigners weren't involved, just not sure they were the bulk of the problem.

Having said that, maybe they were in the majority, after all TAT has said 1,000,000 arriving over Songkran.......ooh look! A flying pig!

• Haha 1

They were having fun tossing water in Bang Tao this morning near one of my fruit stall stops (just down the road the from Cherngtalay Police station) and around a friends real estate agents offices too. Didn't seem to care a toss about anything but having fun.

So dribbling water over someone in close contact is less contagious than squirting with a water gun from a few meters!!  Well, that's the message the authorities are conveying.  Yes crowds together spread airborne germs.  We get it.  Traveling in packed minivans, busses and trains during Songkran also spreads airborne germs.  Drinking in bars and clubs before 11pm also spreads airborne germs! 

The damned virus is ready everywhere.  Drop the ridiculous restrictions.  It is only delaying the inevitable future waves of COVID and right now it's a mild variant.  Herd immunity is right up there now.  It's now become a sad joke.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mickc said:

I was in bangla last night, i can confirm it was as wet and water guns being sold everywhere. Not as busy as it was a couple of years ago but still a lot of water and a lot of people. 

They will NEVER stop the water play.

8 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I am a respected grandad  but if anyone dribbles water on me I may forget that. Songkran ...PAH !

75 yo and grumpy.

75 yo and grumpy? Yo have along way to go to catch up to me. However, don't be grumpy it could lead to an early departure, which I'm sure you don't want, just yet?

• Like 1

Seeing FB posts right now (live feeds) from down Bangla. Same same, water guns everywhere. Looks like the BiB haven't raided them yet. 

I hope this is a sign that some common sense is returning. Humans need to have fun in their lives! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Seeing FB posts right now (live feeds) from down Bangla. Same same, water guns everywhere. Looks like the BiB haven't raided them yet. 

I hope this is a sign that some common sense is returning. Humans need to have fun in their lives! 

Nah, they are just waiting for the cases to rip and then say...Lockdowns

• Sad 2

Please do not try to tell me, that you've expected anything else. 

Thailand is the planet's biggest kindergarten and once the cat is gone, the mice will play. Simple as that, has always been like that and will most likely not change. 

I - for one - don't have a problem with it. I dug in for the silly days and will resurface next week again, the infection link between Songkran and the coronaphobia lacks proof - as most other statements. 

In closing, is it not interesting that the same PM refers to the law who broke the law by putsching  himself onto the government throne some eight years ago? 

15 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

they don't break the rules do they?????

the government stated no water fights during Songkran, but as this event must have taken place before 13th - 15th (this being the first official day) the police couldn't stop it, besides they might have got wet.????

The water fight on Soi Bangla is traditionally on the 12th and 13th, so starts one day earlier than elsewhere (it has been like this forever). Do not expect any action on the 14th and onwards, quite different to some of the other major tourist destinations.

In the past, there have been large pickup corsos driving in circles through Patong, but the police have put a stop to that some years ago. As such I assume that they have turned a blind eye to Soi Bangla, as long as it kept localized.

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The shock… the outrage !!!!

Water throwing at Songkran…

Hang ‘em high & throw away the key !! ????

Thailand… killing tourism one step at a time…. 

I was talking to couple on the beach in Kata last week.  They had visited Thailand many times before their children arrived.

they wanted their kids to experience the fun and joy of songkran so booked their holiday to coincide with it.

Sadly they were very disappointed.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed Phuket's governor to familiarise tourists with the Songkran water-splashing ban ....

It's NOT if I agree or don't agree with the laws of Thailand.  Anyone with an IQ of 50 and higher should know about this ban.   

If you disagree with the ban, then go and spash water and cry on Thaivisa you got banned, arrested, deported and blacklisted........and see how many people say, "OMG, you were wronged!"

I'll say it again for the billionth time because it's fun....."it's not your country!"  try to be respectful of the bans.  

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, tonysilly said:

I see them when pulling people over for nothing. Collecting $$$

Well if people are stupid enough to give them it, then they should apply for membership of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

23 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Temperatures still 30-33 degrees at night here in Pattaya. 

Just wear your swimsuit and enjoy

Only see police here at ~16:00 when they take their photos at shift change on Beach Road Soi 9

I've seen a LOT more patrol cars and police sitting where they never have before.  Are they stopping anyone?  idk.  But it does deter reckless driving.

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why are you adding 'foreign', just to show your bias?

Where did he imply that, he asked a question regarding the Policy possible not enforcing the rules and I see the post as being sarcastic myslf.  

Edited by ThailandRyan

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where did he imply that, he asked a question regarding the Policy possible not enforcing the rules and I see the post as being sarcastic myslf.  

He implied it by the addition.

• Haha 1