Passport Photos recommendation

Maybole

I got passport photos taken at the booth across from immigration. They were good enough for Thai Immigration and I scanned them onto a memory stick.

However, when I tried to submit one to UK Passport Office with the intention to renew a passport, it was rejected as "not sufficient quality".  It was within the required parameters.

I now need to find a photographic shop in the Chiangmai area which will produce acceptable quality photos that I can use.

I prefer somewhere on the south side especially Hang Dong Sanpatong area. Thank you.

However, when I tried to submit one to UK Passport Office with the intention to renew a passport, it was rejected as "not sufficient quality".  It was within the required parameters.

They obviously weren't. HMPO in Liverpool do not reject photos for the fun of it.

Any Kodak shop should have the following specifications.

The criteria is quite extensive and be found here:-

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports/photo-requirements

The size of your printed photos

You need to provide 2 identical photos.

They must:

measure 45 millimetres (mm) high by 35mm wide (the standard size used in photo booths in the UK)

not be a cut down version of a larger picture

If you use a photo booth outside the UK, check it can give you photos that measure 45mm high by 35mm wide.

The size of your image

The image of you - from the crown of your head to your chin - must be between 29mm and 34mm high.

The quality of your printed photos

Your photos must be:

printed to a professional standard

clear and in focus

in colour on plain white photographic paper with no border

without any creases or tears

unmarked on both sides (unless a photo needs to be countersigned)

unaltered by computer software

What your printed photos must show

Your photos must:

be a close-up of your full head and upper shoulders

contain no other objects or people

be taken against a plain cream or light grey background

be in clear contrast to the background

not have ‘red eye’

In your photo, you must:

be facing forwards and looking straight at the camera

have a plain expression and your mouth closed

have your eyes open and visible

not have hair in front of your eyes

not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)

not have anything covering your face

not have any shadows on your face or behind you

Do not wear glasses in your photo unless you have to do so. If you must wear glasses, they cannot be sunglasses or tinted glasses, and you must make sure your eyes are not covered by the frames or any glare, reflection or shadow.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

They obviously weren't. HMPO in Liverpool do not reject photos for the fun of it.

They must:

measure 45 millimetres (mm) high by 35mm wide (the standard size used in photo booths in the UK)

If you use a photo booth outside the UK, check it can give you photos that measure 45mm high by 35mm wide.

The size of your image

The image of you - from the crown of your head to your chin - must be between 29mm and 34mm high.

Your photos must be:

clear and in focus

Your photos must:

not have ‘red eye’

In your photo, you must:

Do not wear glasses in your photo unless you have to do so. If you must wear glasses, they cannot be sunglasses or tinted glasses, and you must make sure your eyes are not covered by the frames or any glare, reflection or shadow.

I took a photo using my digital camera in my living room , and then cropped the photo down to size and it was accepted .

Although it took me about four times to get right , when you apply for a new PP online , if your photo isn't of the correct standard , they immediately tell you to upload another photo 

• Like 1

I take it that you are doing an online application  for UK passport ??/

I had the same issues went to photo shop at Meechok Plaza  showed guy photo requirements sizes etc ,photos taken with Canon SLR,Went into scanned and uploaded Rejected .went into CM town centre photo taken with Nikon SLR uploaded also rejected

Got someone to take my photo outside in partial shade on my mobile phone uploaded 

IT was  Accepted 

so get someone to take ur photo on mobile  worked for me 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Maybole said:

They were good enough for Thai Immigration

Thai Immigration will accept any quality, even black and white. 

Australian government are pedantic regarding passport photos, the bitch behind window 1 at Oz embassy Bangkok made me retake my Kodak shop taken photos. 

I'd leave your photos until the day you submit your application. Choose a photo shop near your embassy, they will know exactly what you need. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

They must:

The size of your image

Your photos must be:

clear and in focus

Your photos must:

not have ‘red eye’

In your photo, you must:

I got photos from the office outside Jomtien Immigration which were pretty awful but HMPO also accepted them. Photos are sent by Trendy Bangkok to India where the passports are produced. They don't go to the UK so it's Trendy that accept or reject the photos and instruct India. If the new photos resemble the last passport then no  verification is needed. Technically you cannot do an online application from outside the UK unless you use a UK address and get a trusted friend or relative to send it to you

Edited by chilly07

11 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'd leave your photos until the day you submit your application. Choose a photo shop near your embassy, they will know exactly what you need. 

Good suggestion. I stumbled on a shop here in Chonburi like that. I wanted a photo for a Chinese visa and when we went to the shop I saw this large board on the wall with specs for every country. The guy said to me for China you need to wear a jacket with collar and tie, I said I didn't have one with me. He said no problem he would put it on the photo, just say what colour you want. Fantastic service.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Be cognizant of the fact that most photo shops in Thailand will, in fact, alter your photo - without asking you in advance - to make it "nicer", by removing facial blemishes, etc. You may want to tell them beforehand that you specifically don't want that.

• Like 1

I used my phone for my last UK passport photos.  Online renewal.  Another poster here said he did the same.  My renewal was done in Canada three years ago.

Edited by swerve

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:

I got photos from the office outside Jomtien Immigration which were pretty awful but HMPO also accepted them. Photos are sent by Trendy Bangkok to India where the passports are produced. They don't go to the UK so it's Trendy that accept or reject the photos and instruct India. If the new photos resemble the last passport then no  verification is needed. Technically you cannot do an online application from outside the UK unless you use a UK address and get a trusted friend or relative to send it to you

British passport renewals in Thailand are processed by VfS Global as agents for HMPO. They have no authority to make any decision on photos. I am not even sure that they would tell you if they had been printed on a blue background rather than white or grey. They simply check that you have submitted documents that tick the criteria. The quality check is not in India, nothing goes to India. It is invariably HMPO Liverpool who raise queries on conformity of submitted documents.

Never mind technically, 'legally' you cannot apply online from Thailand as you are making a false declaration (see above).

19 hours ago, Maybole said:

I prefer somewhere on the south side especially Hang Dong Sanpatong area. Thank you.

Here a shop in Hang Dong (on the opposite side of the street is another one): https://goo.gl/maps/SjWYcNAB9r7bAd6W6

But I've only used the photos from there for immigration, so no idea if they can take a photo which satifies the UK requirements.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Where did you get that info from ?

About British PPs being issued in India ?

13 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

British passport renewals in Thailand are processed by VfS Global as agents for HMPO. They have no authority to make any decision on photos.

That is not correct. It is in fact about the only thing that VFS have an authority to make a decision on, although they would have you think otherwise. They are required to confirm there is a likeness between new photo, previous passport and applicant.

I was one of the very first applications to be made to VFS in April 2014 and at that time they were over the top with the scrutiny.

18 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thai Immigration will accept any quality, even black and white. 

Australian government are pedantic regarding passport photos, the bitch behind window 1 at Oz embassy Bangkok made me retake my Kodak shop taken photos. 

Agreed. I just renewed my Aus passport.

Very strict photo requirements.

But their web page suggests a place near the Embassy.

6 photos for 120 baht and it was all smooth sailing from there.

A small imposition but well worth reading up first.

Different Embassies are just that, different rules.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is not correct. It is in fact about the only thing that VFS have an authority to make a decision on, although they would have you think otherwise. They are required to confirm there is a likeness between new photo, previous passport and applicant.

I was one of the very first applications to be made to VFS in April 2014 and at that time they were over the top with the scrutiny.

They don't have a clue  -  if they did they would have picked up the error/s with the above poster's photos.

Additional Info.

I dug up spare photos from the batch that I used for the issue of the passport nearly 10 years ago. They were taken in the photo booth in the Glasgow Passport Office.

They have also been rejected as "not sufficient quality" They are of 78 KB and the first ones I tried were 79.3KB.

5 hours ago, Maybole said:

Additional Info.

I dug up spare photos from the batch that I used for the issue of the passport nearly 10 years ago. They were taken in the photo booth in the Glasgow Passport Office.

They have also been rejected as "not sufficient quality" They are of 78 KB and the first ones I tried were 79.3KB.

Edit Minimum quality is 50KB and maximum 500.

On 4/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, Maybole said:

I scanned them onto a memory stick.

I suspect this is the issue causing the quality issue - scanning deteriorates quality in some instances.

Like other members I took a photo with my phone and it was accepted for my passport renewal.

BTW, if you then renew your driving license they'll use the same passport photo within x years

Edited by Pmbkk

On 4/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, ajnamoon said:

I take it that you are doing an online application  for UK passport ??/

I had the same issues went to photo shop at Meechok Plaza  showed guy photo requirements sizes etc ,photos taken with Canon SLR,Went into scanned and uploaded Rejected .went into CM town centre photo taken with Nikon SLR uploaded also rejected

Got someone to take my photo outside in partial shade on my mobile phone uploaded 

IT was  Accepted 

so get someone to take ur photo on mobile  worked for me 

Did mine myself on my phone. Accepted.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:02 PM, sandyf said:

Good suggestion. I stumbled on a shop here in Chonburi like that. I wanted a photo for a Chinese visa and when we went to the shop I saw this large board on the wall with specs for every country. The guy said to me for China you need to wear a jacket with collar and tie, I said I didn't have one with me. He said no problem he would put it on the photo, just say what colour you want. Fantastic service.

Lol. I had to get some new photos done recently and i noticed they had a poster in the shop with different shirt and ties etc. they could photoshop on you. They also had some Thai police uniforms. Maybe i will try that for my next visa extension ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

They don't have a clue  -  if they did they would have picked up the error/s with the above poster's photos.

Never implied they did. My wife and I have been dealing with VFS for 13 years, they used to be at Regents House. One of the most incompetent and self serving companies I have ever come across and quite scandalous that they are allowed to represent the UK government.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Never implied they did. My wife and I have been dealing with VFS for 13 years, they used to be at Regents House. One of the most incompetent and self serving companies I have ever come across and quite scandalous that they are allowed to represent the UK government.

We certainly agree on that!  ????......... 29 years between us.

• Like 1