Pattaya: Police chief calls on attacks on tourists to stop - resort's image badly damaged

webfact

All I see is two groups of tourists talking and then Thai security guards come over and start beating them up. My guess is that one of the guys on the motorcycle told the security guard to F off or something and that sparked the violence.

The police are coping hard. This was just a security guard with a short fuse looking to beat down foreigners 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

The resort town of Pattaya...more like a modern version of Sodom or Gamorrah. The odd alcohol fueled fight with the local bouncers should be expected and ignored. I knew some bouncers a long time ago and they looked forward to the Friday or Saturday night fracas so that they could build their reputations amongst their peers. 

Aaaahh yeah, the good ol aussie pub crawl.....what a night lol!

9 hours ago, TheScience said:

Pattaya is a very dangerous place. In lesser years I'd lived there mostly in low season 2001-8 a heyday for USD GBP. It's full of dangerous vice, misery and thuggery.

I was there last week no problems of course I wasn't falling down drunk either but I did have a slight buzz 

12 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Well, then, that being the case I would simply stay clear of the place and avoid the possibility of becoming a victim.

But everyday tourists may not be aware and innocently end up in the middle of such a melee.  Treetown being the main nightlife area now is where these types of incidents will occur.... years ago they were dotted about around town in Songkran. I am tempted to say shut Treetown down for a week.......

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Crime is up all over the world this place will not be exempt.  In fact, I fear it will increase as more people come and want to release all that pent up frustration over the past 2 years.  Getting drunk and crazy and confrontational will be on the agenda for idiots

Delete all, it's useless commenting on AN anymore.

15 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Something that history proves to be the opposite of reality.

Tourists slowly return, Pattaya of old slowly returns.

Pattaya will never be what it was early 00s. It had been rapidly changing demographics since 2009. Chinese and Russians (Indians) in [now entirely GONE and not to return], western economies with jaded, economically troubled economies - boomers out.

No idea what you base your thinking on.

Pattaya as is is an old boomer town. This lot is old and largely out of money. No one wants to deal with the covididiocy.

I've long since said that Pattaya forward is reinventing itself as a bedroom community for Rayong. The dream being to develop the Easter seaboard. Not a bunch of shiftless, paupers in singlets, running shorts and flip flops chasing draft beer happy hours.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

If there was a serious intent to improve they would start training and licensing the bouncers as they do in the UK, where they can’t work without it. 

Could do it with the police as well. CCTV reveals many of their sins.

Sadly Correct Training in Thailand never seems to happen as with their Driving ( i almost said skills), Police, Teachers, Etc Etc, but they still hand out Licences, aggression seems all they know.  

20 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Crime is up all over the world this place will not be exempt.  In fact, I fear it will increase as more people come and want to release all that pent up frustration over the past 2 years.  Getting drunk and crazy and confrontational will be on the agenda for idiots

Correct......The Thai idiots!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

They really need to turn their anger towards the people that actually caused their problems.  (Obviously this is precisely why foreigners are blamed for covid.)

Indeed. Around my Issan village I've been noticing several new constructions, fancy houses on large plots of land. Someone sure is cleaning up on all the fire sales, taking advantage of others' misery and desperation. From what I can tell they're Thai people with the cash, not farangs. Given the situation fewer farangs have been coming, and many in fact have left.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 7:32 AM, BangkokReady said:

Hopefully this isn't going to be a common thing as tourists slowly start to return to Thailand.

I can see why some Thais are envious and resentful of foreign people whom they perceive as having weathered covid a lot better than them financially, but physical attacks are never OK.  They really need to turn their anger towards the people that actually caused their problems.  (Obviously this is precisely why foreigners are blamed for covid.)

Billions still haven't figured out who their real enemy has been for centuries. So, they take their frustrations, anger out on the nearest person, their own kind, ruling class slaves. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1