Thailand records highest daily COVID-19 deaths since January

webfact

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Where did you get your figures for 100,000 deaths for flu and Pneumonia for 2021? I suspect its from this misleading website here 

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/country-health-profile/thailand 

Yes correct, that is the site, so what you are saying is that their figures are misleading.

Looks to me that their figures on Covid deaths are spot on, and I would assume that they also get their figures from WHO ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

Yes correct, so what you are saying is that their figures are incorrect ?

Looks to me that their figures on Covid deaths are spot on, and I would assume that they also get their figures from WHO ?

Thats exactly what I'm say, their figures are not correct as for where they get their covid figures, WHO does not publish covid cases daily either for Thailand but DDC does which is where ourworldindata and worldometers get their figures daily https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/ in turn WHO updates with a Thailand report once a week from figures from the DDC

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Probably 10x higher, but the key metrics are hospitalizations, ICU and intubations.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how bad things are, at least we are not in China. Where they have gone crazy with lockdowns in some parts. I really don't know why the had Songkran this year. I guess there is big money in fines.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand set another year-high record of new COVID deaths for the third consecutive day with 125 on Saturday, the country’s seventh straight day with more than 100 deaths, while also reporting 2,062 COVID patients hospitalized in serious condition, the second highest tally of the year.

The 125 new COVID deaths blew past the prior year high totals of 119 reported yesterday and 115 on Thursday. The 2,062 COVID patients hospitalized in serious condition became the country’s second highest tally of the year exceeded only by a 2,065 count of such cases reported last Monday.

The bad news on new COVID deaths and serious hospitalizations came despite Thailand reporting more declines in officially reported new COVID cases to 18,892 and total active COVID cases under care to 221,452, both numbers declining steadily during the past week amid a general slowdown during the Songkran New Year's holidays. And both official numbers are widely considered vast undercounts with many cases going unreported.

With Saturday's update, new daily COVID deaths in Thailand have risen for the past four consecutive days, and new serious COVID hospitalizations have risen for the past three consecutive days despite the New Year's holidays, both considered better indicators of the direction of the country's COVID pandemic.

Among the serious condition hospitalized COVID cases, the share in the worst condition, those requiring intubation to breathe, declined slightly to 867, but that still is the third highest daily total of the year, and the decline from 872 the day before mostly because of all the new deaths.

Overall, Saturday's update pushed Thailand's official COVID death toll for 2022 past the 5,000 mark for the first time to 5,056. And it pushed Thailand's total tally of official cases since the start of the pandemic past the 4 million mark for the first time, hitting 4,012,184, which would represent more than 5 percent of the country's population if it were accurate.

For added context, during the peak of the Delta wave last fall, Thailand's daily COVID case count topped out at 23,418, but the numbers of serious hospital cases and the intubated share of those peaked above 5,600 and 1,100 respectively, and daily deaths topped 300 for a brief period.

1463465014_Daily2022-04-16a.jpg.a9ecc5c16ef0457988264b49e4b61092.jpg

578922171_Daily2022-04-16b.jpg.91e55a3270c29b20edbcc061d955e5e1.jpg

347934400_Dash2022-04-16a.jpg.515129ce11fd7caece710d4e0158b083.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/542795344005461

750845274_Dash2022-04-16b.jpg.833862991c45a11f88a70475507a977a.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

How many cases of influenza and pneumonia in the same time period?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I guess we will just have to wait and see how bad things are, at least we are not in China. Where they have gone crazy with lockdowns in some parts. I really don't know why the had Songkran this year. I guess there is big money in fines.

In the absence of key reliable information, yes. 'I guess we will just have to wait and see how bad things are.'

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats exactly what I'm say, their figures are not correct as for where they get their covid figures, WHO does not publish covid cases daily either for Thailand but DDC does which is where ourworldindata and worldometers get their figures daily https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/ in turn WHO updates with a Thailand report once a week from figures from the DDC

So no one really knows who dies from what in other words, it's just based on what the government gives the WHO, now if that's the case, it's anyone's guess.

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

So no one really knows who dies from what in other words, it's just based on what the government gives the WHO, now if that's the case, it's anyone's guess.

Not sure what you mean? We do know who dies from covid because of the daily figures published. That said because of limited testing there will also be some that do not get recorded.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

I suspect you believe I have a responsibility to express YOUR views and not my own, since you seem to object to me expressing mine. (Thus, you made a point of pointing-out that what I said was "your view, not mine.") 

If you're so disrupted by others expressing their own points-of-view, please count on experiencing a great deal of disappointment in the future! 

Cheers! 

PS - - - I believe in another post you said "everyone already knows" concerning the delay between infections and death. This, of course, is YOU speaking for "EVERYONE"........... which, of course, is something you've never seen ME do! Perhaps the biblical quote "Judge not lest ye be judged" fits-in nicely here, or "The mote in your brother's eye, versus the plank in your own?"

????????????

Cheers! (Again!) 

Sensationalism is in the eye of the reader, and obviously we agree to disagree.  In no way shape or form did I travel into the zone of everyone with you and instead you seem to want to make this personal, your views are not mine so agreeing to disagree without taking pot shots or making insinuations like you have is way over the top...as you say Cheers.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

While I find the listed case numbers as very worrisome and from a lack of testing, the deaths keep climbing upwards.  A few studies and reports indicate the lag time average from being infected to death.  Attached below is just one of the articles I found.  With knowing what the numbers are now and then extrapolating out we may well see over 200 or so deaths a day in the not to distant future.  Many of those have been vaccinated with the initial two doses and never boosted.  Boosters do give a fighting chance for not dying.  Those who wish to say that they would rather stay unvaccinated as the vaccines are untested need to think about there "My natural immunities are better than a vaccine" view.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30566-3/fulltext

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/covid-19-symptoms-progress-death-3536264/

image.png.b5ba4da82f9a8844cfb73c8fc60e47d7.png

Your links have nothing to do with your opinion that a booster 'gives a fighting chance' nor that somehow relying on natural immunity is a problem.  Wouldn't pass a highschool science paper with this submission.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, japanese said:

Your links have nothing to do with your opinion that a booster 'gives a fighting chance' nor that somehow relying on natural immunity is a problem.  Wouldn't pass a highschool science paper with this submission.

Like others who do not follow the OP and read the prior posts you have missed the information that has been posted herein and in the days before.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well, when I look at these figures I am tempted to say that the peak of infections [of the current wave] probably was early April and that we are near the peak of deaths. 

Don't believe Songkram will have much impact with an infection rate that was sky high and is currently dropping.

After Songkran party in my village 3 days ago (no water splashing) my mother in law was tested positive, followed by a couple of nephews, cousins, neighbours and today myself. The same situation in all surrounding villages. On my way to the local clinic this morning (for testing) on average every fourth-fifth houses had a COVID 19 quarantine sign. In my area there is a massive amount of new cases in the last 2 days. Never seen anything like this before.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, japanese said:

It maybe an opinion boosters "gives a fighting chance" however its an opinion based on fact through countless studies and real world statistics that have been posted multiple times. If you want to pass a high school science paper I suggest you read up and do a little research first.

mortality due to coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) among adults 50 years of age or older was 90% lower among participants who received a booster at least 5 months after receiving a second dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine (Pfizer–BioNTech) than among those who did not receive a booster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

To misquote Marilyn Monroe: "but that's what they do."

Well, it's what most of them do. But nothing stops anyone from calling up websites like the CDC or Johns Hopkins to get a better overview.

PM orders more beds, isolation centres for Covid spike after Songkran

“Ahead of a possible spike in Covid-19 cluster cases after the Songkran break, the prime minister has ordered the Public Health Ministry to prepare hospital beds and community isolation centres for new patients,” said government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana on Saturday.

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/in-focus/40014604

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Where did you get your figures for 100,000 deaths for flu and Pneumonia for 2021? I suspect its from this misleading website here 

A few points on those figures

1) They are for the period 3rd Jan 2020 through to 15th April 2022 

2) The figures do not separate out Flu and Pneumonia deaths

3) The website has stated it gets its figures from WHO, yet WHO has not published those figures in any publicily available documents, it also states on the website that the figures are from WHO in 2018 yet these are 2020 - 2022?

4. To give them one piece of credit they do say in their disclaimer: Data Accuracy Not Guaranteed

To get peer reviewed studies on flu death in Thailand then you can visit a previous post I did on this here:

2005 - 2009 

On average, 6 people in every 100,000 were estimated to die each year in Thailand as a result of seasonal influenza, representing 4,000 deaths per year.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275363294_Mortality_Attributable_to_Seasonal_Influenza_A_and_B_Infections_in_Thailand_2005-2009_A_Longitudinal_Study

2006 - 2011

The average annual influenza-associated mortality per 100 000 persons was 4·0 (so less than the above study of 4,000 yearly deaths)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4605410/"

In the US, flu deaths/year typically run 20k - 60k. That's from roughly 300 million people. I wouldn't expect Thailand, with 1/4 as many people would have 100,000 flu deaths.

19 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

To get peer reviewed studies on flu death in Thailand then you can visit a previous post I did on this here:

2005 - 2009 

On average, 6 people in every 100,000 were estimated to die each year in Thailand as a result of seasonal influenza, representing 4,000 deaths per year.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275363294_Mortality_Attributable_to_Seasonal_Influenza_A_and_B_Infections_in_Thailand_2005-2009_A_Longitudinal_Study

2006 - 2011

The average annual influenza-associated mortality per 100 000 persons was 4·0 (so less than the above study of 4,000 yearly deaths)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4605410/"

In the US, flu deaths/year typically run 20k - 60k. That's from roughly 300 million people. I wouldn't expect Thailand, with 1/4 as many people would have 100,000 flu deaths.

2 minutes ago, Unify said:

Sure and in addition WHO estimates that seasonal influenza may result in 290,000-650,000 deaths each year worldwide. With a population of around 7.9 billion.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What was it Anutin was saying about the great success Thailand was having, so recently? He was so wrong. Where is this arrogant fool's apology to the people? 

They can be as unsuccessful as they want. As far as covid deaths are concerned they have been around 7 times more successful than the UK.

And what about hospital treatment, over 10% of the UK population now waiting for routine operations, is that some kind of success story.

I for one am glad I have been where I was during the pandemic.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, vivananahuahin said:

The vaccines work very good!!!, but there is a problem with the sequencing of this virus, a very big problem that i cannot describe here.

The problem is, 90+% of the people who are dying of COVID in Thailand every day have NOT received a third shot vaccine booster dose that the health experts say is needed to best protect against the Omicron variant.

And the bigger picture view of that is, almost two-thirds of Thailand's entire population has NOT received the third shot booster dose, meaning there are A LOT of vulnerable people out there, especially the most vulnerable senior citizens, of whom 60% still have not been boosted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sensationalism is in the eye of the reader, and obviously we agree to disagree.  In no way shape or form did I travel into the zone of everyone with you and instead you seem to want to make this personal, your view are not mine so agreeing to disagree without taking pot shots or making insinuations like you have is way over the top...as you say Cheers.  My view is your just trolling and baiting as you have been on the forum for just a few months and are probably a former member who was banned.  Enjoy.

Whether something has been "sensationalized" is an opinion. The fact that the new "highest " number had to be qualified with "this year" and "since January" proves they are positioning it to be "sensational." The proof is, ultimately, that the new numbers are nowhere near the "highest"---not by a long shot!

Sports reporting does this sort of thing all the time: "Manny Trujillo is batting .425 for his last ten games!" And we're supposed to be too numb to recognize that such a statement ALSO MEANS he is NOT batting .425 for his last 11 or 12 or 13 or 14 games! 20? 30? Because if he had been, THAT'S what they would have said!

They've EDITED CONTEXT make their reporting......... sound.......... more.......... SENSATIONAL!

The Thai media is doing the very same thing: They're EDITING CONTEXT to make the death numbers....... SOUND......... MORE.......... SENSATIONAL!

Except.........

* The counts are nowhere near the "highest," and

* They were fully predictable based on the rise in New Cases from two weeks ago, not some sudden change worth noting!

(And presumably, we're supposed to be to dumb to know this!)

Yes, our opinions differ. But I wouldn't say they were equally arrived at and equally valid. Indeed, to me it appears it's not even close. (No doubt, your opinion on THIS will differ, too! 555)

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Whether something has been "sensationalized" is an opinion. The fact that the new "highest " number had to be qualified with "this year" and "since January" proves they are positioning it to be "sensational." The proof is, ultimately, that the new numbers are nowhere near the "highest"---not by a long shot!

Sports reporting does this sort of thing all the time: "Manny Trujillo is batting .425 for his last ten games!" And we're supposed to be too numb to recognize that such a statement ALSO MEANS he is NOT batting .425 for his last 11 or 12 or 13 or 14 games! 20? 30? Because if he had been, THAT'S what they would have said!

They've EDITED CONTEXT make their reporting......... sound.......... more.......... SENSATIONAL!

The Thai media is doing the very same thing: They're EDITING CONTEXT to make the death numbers....... SOUND......... MORE.......... SENSATIONAL!

Except.........

* The counts are nowhere near the "highest," and

* They were fully predictable based on the rise in New Cases from two weeks ago, not some sudden change worth noting!

(And presumably, we're supposed to be to dumb to know this!)

Yes, our opinions differ. But I wouldn't say they were equally arrived at and equally valid. Indeed, to me it appears it's not even close. (No doubt, your opinion on THIS will differ, too! 555)

Cheers!

No opinion as you have now gone way off topic to suit an agenda you have now posted about.

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well, when I look at these figures I am tempted to say that the peak of infections [of the current wave] probably was early April and that we are near the peak of deaths. 

Don't believe Songkram will have much impact with an infection rate that was sky high and is currently dropping.

In situations where there's adequate testing occurring, COVID deaths and serious illnesses generally are a trailing indicator to cases (meaning they typically start falling after cases do), because they take longer time to develop after the initial infections.

But in situations like Thailand where there's basically no comprehensive or adequate testing occurring and we're in the midst of the Songkran holidays slowdown, I don't think you can't make that same kind of assumption.

Thus it's the Thai Ministry of Health that's been predicting that COVID case numbers could hit 50,000 per day in the aftermath of the Songkran holidays....

Have to wait and see how that plays out in the weeks ahead.

• Like 2