Next fortnight will determine adjustments of COVID-19 measures in Thailand

webfact

6E384D15-59E4-4624-B4BB-C204261D1724.jpg

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said today (Monday) that the ministry will closely monitor and assess the COVID-19 situation over the two weeks following the Songkran holiday, to determine whether the existing measures need to be adjusted.

He said that it is normal for people to get infected during the long Songkran holidays, because of the extensive travel and the increased chance of close contact with others, but he hopes that most will be safe if they were fully inoculated and the anticipated infection surge will not exceed the capacity of the health system.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Senior health experts predicted, before Songkran, that new infections after the holidays would surge to between 50,000 and 100,000 cases per day (in both RT-PCR and rapid antigen tests). They also expressed concern over elderly people and those suffering from underlying diseases, many of whom are not vaccinated or have not received booster shots.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/next-fortnight-will-determine-adjustments-of-covid-19-measures-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Thailand should follow US CDC guidelines

Oh Yeah, follow the bright beacon of the world. Why should we follow the US, as they were the world guide society?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

They also expressed concern over elderly people and those suffering from underlying diseases, many of whom are not vaccinated or have not received booster shots.

Who I thought all last year and this one were a priority?

Or didn't Thailand reach it's so-called targets of 70% plus ?

16 hours ago, madmitch said:

Meanwhile in Europe yesterday (on the way back to the UK from Thailand), the Swiss Air flight I was on had no mask wearing requirements whatsoever

Seemingly reckless, but I presume they have made it voluntary. Were any passengers wearing masks?

8 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Europe - weekly change in infections = -27%, weekly change in deaths = -20%

Europe isn't a country....

Some numbers go down, some go up.

But I dispute the deaths number there, UK today shows a rise of 50% on the last 7 days. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ Other countries I looked at were flat on deaths. Since infections are falling I expect this will improve. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Europe isn't a country....

Some numbers go down, some go up.

But I dispute the deaths number there, UK today shows a rise of 50% on the last 7 days. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ Other countries I looked at were flat on deaths. Since infections are falling I expect this will improve. 

Responding to the false claim that "With rising infection rate and death rate in the last seven days throughout Europe," with data showing the latest figure for Europe seemed sensible, as it is so easily available from worldometers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Responding to the false claim that "With rising infection rate and death rate in the last seven days throughout Europe," with data showing the latest figure for Europe seemed sensible, as it is so easily available from worldometers.

Well that data gives -11% for the UK, but if I go to the page Gov.UK data it shows +50% so I am perplexed by that. 

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

With rising infection rate and death rate in the last seven days throughout Europe, I am not sure if it is produent to allow hordes of future "wife visa" refugees into Thailand. US CDC has already put most European countries in the level 4 high covid risk country. Compared to that, US CDC has recognized India's low number and put India at level 1 low covid risk country. Thailand should follow US CDC guidelines. 

Can you share your data. The one I have [as of yesterday] shows that most countries are descending the B2 peak. Maybe you are aware of Bx?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well that data gives -11% for the UK, but if I go to the page Gov.UK data it shows +50% so I am perplexed by that. 

The UK have 2 different ways of measuring cases. Reported cases are falling due to the changes that have taken place.

The ONS/REACT study is based on periodic random sampling and now seen as a more reliable method, which has been backed up by the situation with the NHS.

However, while there was an urgent need to tackle problems in a number of other areas of public health, Covid-19 remained a major threat, he said. “Covid cases are now rising quite rapidly – from quite a high base – and this is driven by a number of different factors, of which BA.2, the new Omicron variant is a large part. Rates are high and rising in virtually all parts of England.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/23/nhs-under-pressure-from-new-covid-wave-across-england-says-chris-whitty

20 hours ago, madmitch said:

They haven't said what way the adjustments might go: loosening or tightening up!

Meanwhile in Europe yesterday (on the way back to the UK from Thailand), the Swiss Air flight I was on had no mask wearing requirements whatsoever.

I guess that means they don't follow their own regulations:

image.png.b7f82f60e07eb03b620aa84ca0dc1088.png

This is from Swiss website https://www.swiss.com/us/en/customer-support/travel-and-corona/travel-briefing

and this is from a reservation system:

image.png.8c019000cb7a725bd3ad683a9cf1c5e0.png

But it might be the new normal. I know of someone who recently flew to France. The official regulations demanded pre-flight test and a satisfying reason for the visit (that's for unvaxed people, and that person is unvaxed) yet no one at check-in asked for any test results or any other covid related docs, and no questions were asked upon arrival to France.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Seemingly reckless, but I presume they have made it voluntary. Were any passengers wearing masks?

Very few and the crew were all maskless. Most were wearing masks on the long haul BkK to Zurich flight but at least two cabin crew were not and after eating I noticed many passengers didn't bother replacing their masks for the rest of the journey. 

• Like 1

disease control department is meeting on Thursday to propose as radical as getting rid of any testing on entry from 1st of May. I don't think it would happen yet, but at least they are considering.

Very much depends on Prayuth's personal opinion and he tends on conservative approach.

googletranslate

"They will discuss whether to suggest adjusting to testing with ATK or not testing for infection at all. ... However, the number of infections in the country is higher than those who enter the country. Therefore, the relaxation of immigration will not result in increasing the number of infections in the country."

https://www.naewna.com/local/648378

Edited by internationalism

21 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

With rising infection rate and death rate in the last seven days throughout Europe, I am not sure if it is produent to allow hordes of future "wife visa" refugees into Thailand. US CDC has already put most European countries in the level 4 high covid risk country. Compared to that, US CDC has recognized India's low number and put India at level 1 low covid risk country. Thailand should follow US CDC guidelines. 

"The official Covid-19 figures in India grossly understate the true scale of the pandemic in the country."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/india-covid-cases.html

Thailand is probably following the India guidelines........

1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

I believe US CDC that has put India in Level 1 low risk country compared to Western Europe which are in level 4 and now level 3. The total since the outbreak may be understated but we are talking about the past 7-day figures and CDC is comparing past 7-day figures to put a country in various risk categories not some 2021 NYTimes report. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I believe US CDC that has put India in Level 1 low risk country compared to Western Europe which are in level 4 and now level 3. The total since the outbreak may be understated but we are talking about the past 7-day figures and CDC is comparing past 7-day figures to put a country in various risk categories not some 2021 NYTimes report. 

"Updated April 19, 2022"   with last 90 days stats

Did you even read the link?  So you trust the CDC but you do not trust the NY Times???

2 hours ago, bangon04 said:

"Updated April 19, 2022"   with last 90 days stats

Did you even read the link?  So you trust the CDC but you do not trust the NY Times???

Yes I do. THE CDC  officials and scientists don't have any agenda compared to a corporate entity that has vested interest in twisting facts with sensational headlines, like they have been doing from day one of this pandemic. Moreover, the article is not an in depth analysis. Just updated statistics of an old article that clearly shows India's 7-day average is extremely low. NY times also conveniently forgot to mention that Western Europe is devastated now with infection and death rate per million population despite having high vaccination rate and booster rates.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock