Couple return home after Songkran trip to discover 10 million baht robbery from safe

webfact

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

I'm always impressed how rich some people are in so called 3rd world countries. ????

I always question who is buying the properties offered for the, for me, high prices. But then, I retired to a lower cost country because I thought I could live better on my $2400 USD monthly budget.

8 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

They say a fool and their money will soon be separated.  Why in their right mind would keep a small fortune inside their home.  Have they never heard of a safe deposit box, or buying gold bullion from investment companies that store the gold for you. 

So everyone who owns a safe at home is a fool are they? 

And anyone with 10 million or more in jewellery and watches is a fool for wanting to keep them at home?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I always question who is buying the properties offered for the, for me, high prices. But then, I retired to a lower cost country because I thought I could live better on my $2400 USD monthly budget.

Some of the place I've seen here in the 100-300 million baht price range are absolutely fantastic.  

33 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

And anyone with 10 million or more in jewellery and watches is a fool for wanting to keep them at home?

They also kept gold bars at home. For what? Hanging them around their necks every couple of days?

Just put them in a safety box from a bank or another professional company.

There is no reason to keep valuables like that at home.

44 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Some of the place I've seen here in the 100-300 million baht price range are absolutely fantastic.  

Like to look at but far out of the price range of the vast majority of the global population. I I could afford the price tad? I'm thinking elsewhere with only occasional visits here.

I don't "blame" the Owners. They don't "deserve" their loss!

If they knew as much as some of the people on this forum, they wouldn't get burgled would they?

Hindsight - never around when you need it.

I have been burgled twice within six months at the same place (in Thailand) in spite of taking as many precautions as would be considered reasonable.

If they want to get in, they can get in!

And if you have been burgled and discover it when you get home, they have ransacked the place, I can assure you the emotions run through you like a sharp knife!! You don't need anyone to tell you, should have done this, should have done that!

And forget the return of anything. The Police will want you to point where they got in and take a photo - for them end of story!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

No we have a safe in our home.  But I sure don't keep 10 million baht in it.  There is a limit to what a "reasonable" person keeps readily at hand.  There is a limit to what a "reasonable" person is willing to put at greater risk.  

Now why someone wants to own physical gold is a mystery to me.  Unless they are wanting to hide their wealth from perhaps the government.  You can own gold bullion via investment funds who safekeep the gold for you.  Also since it is already assayed it is easily sold without physical transport to another.  

If you own physical gold, you first have to have it transported to some place to sell it.  The purchaser would have to go through the additional expense to have the authenticity of the gold verified.  Does not seem like a very logical thing to do and certainly if I chose to have 10 million baht in gold I would not keep in in a home safe. 

That's why i would never want to invest in gold. If you keep it at home all a burglar needs to do is point a gun at your head and say open the safe. If you keep it at a bank then they are as likely to steal it. Paper gold ha ha worth no more than fiat currency.

• Sad 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:16 AM, Dmaxdan said:

These people have obviously never heard of safety deposit boxes at their local bank.

Also @Longwood50:

Do the banks here have sd boxes?

Edited by JimmyJ

On 4/19/2022 at 11:11 AM, Excel said:

Perhaps it depends how they got the money to pay for their "trinkets" - just saying

What exactly are you "just saying"?  Why don't you read the full article including the link that explains the origin of the stolen items?  Did you not see that the robbery has been reported to the police?

On 4/19/2022 at 12:52 PM, Excel said:

All my articles are individually listed so that is not unusual and perfectly normal procedure for high value items.  However that is irrelevant to what I am suggesting as a possibility.

"...that is irrelevant to what I am suggesting..."

What you are accusing them of is the most irrelevant and unjustified part of this thread.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

Many years back when the same day visa runs were the norm, I was chatting with a fellow expat and he told me of his robbery story.  Seems he'd been living here for years and even though he kept a sizeable sum of money & gold in his condo he never had any problems.  Then he decided to have a safe delivered and installed, two days later his place was broken into and all of his valuables gone.  He wasn't sure if it was the safe crew or his neighbors that learned he had something worth stealing.