Hair-like strands found in beverages from popular vending machine brand, operator cites device malfunction

webfact

screenshot_17512.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

A well-known vending machine brand in Thailand, Tao Bin, has come under scrutiny after some of its beverages were found to contain hair-like objects or strange fibers. The operator said on Tuesday the issue was due to device malfunction and that it has been resolved.

On Monday night, a Twitter user shared a post saying they found something that appears to be small hair-like fibers in beverages ordered from one of the vending machines. They then complained to the operator by phone, and were told that all of the mechanics were on Songkran break. 

“I am uncertain if the machine is still open after notifying,” said the tweet. “No one answered when asked about the progress.” 

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/39494/hair-like-strands-found-in-beverages-from-popular-vending-machine-brand-operator-cites-device-malfunction/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-04-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Charge extra? Use pre-flavored strand options?

Probably from the heat-sealing plastic-film process? The tops come off a square strip, probably edge strands left over from the previous drink prep?

This process is used in gazillions of applications here.

And don't get us started on the tapioca balls.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Charge extra? Use pre-flavored strand options?

Probably from the heat-sealing plastic-film process? The tops come off a square strip, probably edge strands left over from the previous drink prep?

And don't get us started on the tapioca balls.

My balls are not made of tapioca....lol

32 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

They don't use the plastic heat seal things.  A plastic resealable lid is dispensed.

We have one of these machines downstairs in lobby... very popular. Has variety of hot and cold drinks that take a couple of minutes to produce, and there's always people waiting for it to do its magic. I've seen it opened up when they come refill and service it, and (apart from big water tanks like what you can get for water dispenser taking up a third of the space inside) the thing looks sophisticated. I haven't tried it, as there are always too many people waiting, but it certainly is a hit. I noticed Pepsi logo on it, so I thought it was from them. A Tao Bin pickup with service guy visits every day to restock and clean it up, and seems very neat.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

They don't use the plastic heat seal things.  A plastic resealable lid is dispensed.

Yes, I see the plastic resealable lid is an option on the Tao Bin machine. Interesting that they offer a no-lid option.

Probably strands left on the plastic lids from the process used to cut those.