Electric Vehicles in Thailand

19 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Volvo Thailand has had some substantial price cuts down to Tesla money:

Seems like they have introduced single motor versions of the 2 models. The twin-motor versions have the same prices as earlier .

The price difference between the 2 motor alternatives however does not make sense.

Edited by tomkenet
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:10 PM, motdaeng said:

the cx40 with a reduction of 700'000 thb!!!  from 2'690'000 to 1'990'000 thb ...

i believe that some customers who just purchased a new cx40 or c40  will be furious ...

22 hours ago, tomkenet said:

Seems like they have introduced single motor versions of the 2 models. The twin-motor versions have the same prices as earlier .

The price difference between the 2 motor alternatives however does not make sense.

sorry, it's not a price reduction for the volvo cx40 / c40, my bad.

i made the mistake and didn't check all the information!

however, the introduction of a very attractiv price option now appears somewhat strange.

i think, some customers would have chosen the less powerful rear-wheel-drive model

(because of this very big price difference, which really does not make any sense) if it had

been offered ever since the xc40 recharge ev was introduced in thailand end of 2020 ... 

Edited by motdaeng

25 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There are a number of comments on that clip claiming that this is a hoax video.

The guy who made it apparently used to live in China, but after "a negative interaction with the Chinese police," he moved to the US and now regularly posts anti-China videos with click-bait titles such as, "How China is slowly KILLING us all."

So perhaps not the most reliable source of information.

Yes, I think he starred on here before venting his Anti China agenda.

On 6/15/2023 at 8:09 AM, Bandersnatch said:

IMG_0987.thumb.jpeg.0a9896aab827ddcc189d9b0c20199653.jpeg

I like to keep tabs on what is happening in local RHD Markets like AUS&NZ as it’s likely to also happen here in Thailand.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/132314033/chinese-rival-for-tesla-model-3-makes-new-zealand-debut

“BYD New Zealand brand manager confirmed that the company is still finalising local Seal specifications and pricing, with further info set to be confirmed in the coming months. Customer deliveries are expected to kick off in December.

BYD is taking orders for the Seal over the course of this week, with those who place an order at the event guaranteed to receive their car within the first three shipments to land in the country

Overseas, the Seal is offered with either a 61.4kWh battery or an 82.5kWh battery, each packing a range of 550km and 700km, respectively. Larger battery models come with all-wheel drive, and can hit 100kph in a claimed 3.8 seconds”

IMG_0988.jpeg.9685dcee0f53a1b19a2f3a5a7fa8db56.jpeg

Claims on Thai FB groups that a BYD Seal Wrapped in Camouflage has been seen testing in Bangkok - anybody recognize that rear?

IMG_1165.jpeg.e84bca22a625f57462f5bf382e2b446a.jpeg

IMG_1170.jpeg.2494132f7440531e38a3d27043e158b7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BYD SEAL Thai price

The price of the entry-level BYD Seal RWD is 189,800 yuan ($26,812) or 935,000 baht (excluding tax), and the top-end AWD model is priced at 279,800 Chinese yuan ($39,525) before taxes. At 1,374,000 baht, it is assumed that the price at launch in Thailand should not exceed 1,500,000 - 1,700,000 baht.

the launch in Thailand should arrive during this September.

google translate 

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/auto/evcar/2699842

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tomkenet said:

BYD SEAL Thai price

The price of the entry-level BYD Seal RWD is 189,800 yuan ($26,812) or 935,000 baht (excluding tax), and the top-end AWD model is priced at 279,800 Chinese yuan ($39,525) before taxes. At 1,374,000 baht, it is assumed that the price at launch in Thailand should not exceed 1,500,000 - 1,700,000 baht.

the launch in Thailand should arrive during this September.

google translate 

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/auto/evcar/2699842

Hard to equate the CH to TH price, until actually announced in TH, by the manufacturers.  Hopefully ~฿1.5M is the price to start.

Taking the MG ZS EV (2022) as an example, it sells for basically the same price here/TH, as it does in CH.

BUT ... that includes a ฿240k baht govt incentive.  Seems MG gave a huge govt incentive ฿240k & ฿247k for the ZS & EP respectfully.   Making them quite the bargain, at a time with less competition, and kudos for that.

That, the incentives, being passed to buyers now, seems to have been lowered to ฿150k, for other MG models, and other brands of late.

MG ZS EV basically listed for ~20% more than CH price, and reduced to CH price via govt incentive.

If ฿150k incentive, that would of reduced the price by only ~13%

If Seal holds true to that math ฿150k incentive, then it also would be priced about the same as the CH price.  Don't think we can expect anything better or much worse in pricing.  So 1.5M would be a nice ballpark price to start.

Again, those thinking of going EV, sooner the better, and I personally wouldn't wait for any new tech to hit the mass production line, and being available, before the incentives expire.   Especially since new tech usually carries a new higher price, until the competition catches up to it.

Also, considering the age of some of us retired folks here, if wanting to get some of that ROI, before the big BBQ, unless having a 20 ish yr old younger wife to pass the benefits on to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Hard to equate the CH to TH price, until actually announced in TH, by the manufacturers.  Hopefully ~฿1.5M is the price to start.

Taking the MG ZS EV (2022) as an example, it sells for basically the same price here/TH, as it does in CH.

BUT ... that includes a ฿240k baht govt incentive.  Seems MG gave a huge govt incentive ฿240k & ฿247k for the ZS & EP respectfully.   Making them quite the bargain, at a time with less competition, and kudos for that.

That, the incentives, being passed to buyers now, seems to have been lowered to ฿150k, for other MG models, and other brands of late.

MG ZS EV basically listed for ~20% more than CH price, and reduced to CH price via govt incentive.

If ฿150k incentive, that would of reduced the price by only ~13%

If Seal holds true to that math ฿150k incentive, then it also would be priced about the same as the CH price.  Don't think we can expect anything better or much worse in pricing.  So 1.5M would be a nice ballpark price to start.

Again, those thinking of going EV, sooner the better, and I personally wouldn't wait for any new tech to hit the mass production line, and being available, before the incentives expire.   Especially since new tech usually carries a new higher price, until the competition catches up to it.

Also, considering the age of some of us retired folks here, if wanting to get some of that ROI, before the big BBQ, unless having a 20 ish yr old younger wife to pass the benefits on to.

These EV buyers were caught out earlier this year they purchased their cars towards the end of 2022 as government subsidy were finishing incentives

Then In January Tesla announced price cuts which meant

Tesla’s EV prices in China are now between 13% and 24% below their September levels.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/09/tesla-owners-in-china-protest-against-surprise-price-cuts/

Tesla’s EV prices in China are now between 13% and 24% below their September levels.

58 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

These EV buyers were caught out earlier this year they purchased their cars towards the end of 2022 as government subsidy were finishing incentives

Then In January Tesla announced price cuts which meant

https://nypost.com/2023/01/09/tesla-owners-in-china-protest-against-surprise-price-cuts/

Competition is a beautiful thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Me: “What do you think of the Tesla Model Y Teelak?”

Teelak: “Ugly mak, looks like a Turtle”

Today I spot a Tesla Model Y in Surin for the first time. ”Oh look a Tesla”

Teelak: “Model 3?”

Me: “No it’s a model Y”

Teelak “Looks good, doesn’t look like a Turtle when you see it for real”

Model Y back on the short list ????

IMG_1187.thumb.jpeg.57c65a9d74b54975587294ee5b214b60.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomkenet said:

In Europe the difference in price between single and twin motor versions are less than 10%. 

Ours has 1 motor,  and we've been on some pretty steep inclines, and no issues at all.  MG ZS ... 177PS of power and 280Nm of torque, seems more than enough for normal use.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ours has 1 motor,  and we've been on some pretty steep inclines, and no issues at all.  MG ZS ... 177PS of power and 280Nm of torque, seems more than enough for normal use.

I agree, one motor is adequate, enough to leave most ICE cars in the dust.

But 2 motors is thrilling and 3 motors is ludicrous, the RImac Nevera has 4 motors one for each wheel and that is perfection, all the stability stuff can be performed independently in electronics, getting that right took them a long time, fortunately they had Richard Hammond (aka Mr. Crash) to test it to destruction for them.

Right now the fastest EV in Thailand is the Porsche Taycan Turbo S.

I read somewhere that Porsche is working on a Taycan Turbo GT with 3 or 4 motors. 3 motors is predicted, but 4 motors would make sense since they share the same parent company with Rimac who has completed the R&D.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

For many people It is not about getting from a to b without issues. It's about enjoying insane acceleration and performance.  Why do you think people pay big money to upgrade from a 4 cylinders v8 motor on the same car. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, tomkenet said:

For many people It is not about getting from a to b without issues. It's about enjoying insane acceleration and performance.  Why do you think people pay big money to upgrade from a 4 cylinders v8 motor on the same car. 

I agree 100%.  But when that insane acceleration and performance comes without the usual lag on an ICE car and in silence, it takes the thrill to a whole new level.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, tomkenet said:

The sound...............:clap2:

MG 4 or BYD Dolphin?

IMG_0994.thumb.jpeg.3155b1d13d1fd2850ed5ec13f7bcd6fa.jpeg

IMG_0993.thumb.png.c82f0835d76bee898ac81d1e8d28567f.png

MG4:

Battery Type
Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
Maximum Power (PS (Kilowatt)) 170 (125) Model X (Model D)
Maximum Torque (Newton – Metres) 250
Battery Capacity (Kilowatt – Hour) 51
Maximum Range (NEDC Mode) Kilometres 425

0-100 km/h 8.6 s

BYD Dolphin:

Maximum distance 410 km

0-100 km/h 12.3 s

70 kW Motor

Battery LFP 44.9 kWh

EV charger. AC type 2 / DC CCS 2 (60 kW)

BYD now has 46 dealerships in Thailand:

https://www.reverautomotive.com/en/locator/dealer-station

MG has far more

https://www.mgcars.com/en/Dealer

IMG_0995.thumb.jpeg.14c45b463b6bfc8e4fdc6fc222738d14.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the Dolphin in Australia is supposedly getting a new elongated nose (20cm) for pedestrian safety 
given that Thai spec has not been revealed yet, I'd think the only RHD Dolphin or all export models for now would be made to the same spec?

• Haha 1

I haven't driven the Dolphin but I do own the MG4 (X).  I think you need to drive them both, back to back, the MG4 blew me away.  It feels a lot larger than it is and is very much geared towards driver pleasure.  I thoroughly enjoy driving it and look forward to going out in it.  I do drive it quite spiritedly.

One statistic missing is DC Charging speed for the MG4, it's almost double the Dolphin at 117Kw.  Also the 0-100km/hr achieved by multiple roadtesters is about a second quicker than posted above.  The Dolphin performance looks a bit tame to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, digbeth said:

the Dolphin in Australia is supposedly getting a new elongated nose (20cm) for pedestrian safety 
given that Thai spec has not been revealed yet, I'd think the only RHD Dolphin or all export models for now would be made to the same spec?

The picture I posted is from the BYD Thailand website. It looks exactly the same as the Chinese market one I sat in at the BKK motor show in April.

The picture on the BYD Thailand app is also the same.

IMG_0996.thumb.jpeg.4071a579eb49908a094d16dfa8bca141.jpeg 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I haven't driven the Dolphin but I do own the MG4 (X).  I think you need to drive them both, back to back, the MG4 blew me away.  It feels a lot larger than it is and is very much geared towards driver pleasure.  I thoroughly enjoy driving it and look forward to going out in it.  I do drive it quite spiritedly.

One statistic missing is DC Charging speed for the MG4, it's almost double the Dolphin at 117Kw.  Also the 0-100km/hr achieved by multiple roadtesters is about a second quicker than posted above.  The Dolphin performance looks a bit tame to me.

I really enjoyed the my MG4 test drive - very impressive car for the price.

I couldn’t find the 0-100km time for the MG on the official website, so I took a test result I found which as you say might not be accurate

3 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I really enjoyed the my MG4 test drive - very impressive car for the price.

I couldn’t find the 0-100km time for the MG on the official website, so I took a test result I found which as you say might not be accurate

I don't know about the weight or size of each car, but the MG4 has about 80% more power so it's not surprising it's much quicker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1