Electric Vehicles in Thailand

29 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Can anyone here give a definitive answer regarding the legality of electric vehicles in Thailand. Years ago my friend bought a golf buggy for his daughter to use as transport for the 6 kilo ride to school. Even with his company's legal department help he could not get it registered. She just continued to use it for the next 5 years with no problem. There is a guy with an electric vespa styled motorbike that he has been unable to register. He just uses it again with no problem. Now a youtuber has bought a semi enclosed electric three wheeler for his mother. He claims it is impossible to register and was assured that no license is required. A Thai neighbor is driving an electric DT motors city car. This is similar in styling to a Smart car. It appears fully road legal and completely enclosed with AC. She assures me that registration nor license is required. Looking on DT website it claims neither plates or license is required.

product-5.jpg

This what we were told by the local BiB about our 2 seater ATV.

Not legal, but providing wearing seatbelts and helmet and not driving like a loon, they would ignore us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The Dolphin has the same motor and power configuration as the Atto 3 but lighter. The claimed 7.0 seconds 0-100 should be easily achievable then. Will test it when I get my Dolphin sometime this week (supposedly).

Which model are you getting - standard or extended range?

The standard range model is quite slow for an EV.

8 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The Dolphin has the same motor and power configuration as the Atto 3 but lighter. The claimed 7.0 seconds 0-100 should be easily achievable then. Will test it when I get my Dolphin sometime this week (supposedly).

That should be the case, although Dolphin being lighter and with skinnier tyres might have a harder time with grip. 

The BYD web site actually has "7s" as the 0-100 time for both Dolphin and Atto 3.

7 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

That should be the case, although Dolphin being lighter and with skinnier tyres might have a harder time with grip. 

The BYD web site actually has "7s" as the 0-100 time for both Dolphin and Atto 3.

Ah, maybe so but whilst the Atto3 has Batman tyres, the Dolphin has Linglong Dolphins lol.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I intend to fit a changeover switch at home so that I can power my house between those hours where solar production is not available and before TOU kicks in at 10 pm.

I'd be very interested to hear more from you when you power your house using the car. I'm thinking of doing the same and the dolphin extended range model seems ideal with its big battery.

Please update when you get it going. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

I'd be very interested to hear more from you when you power your house using the car. I'm thinking of doing the same and the dolphin extended range model seems ideal with its big battery.

Please update when you get it going. 

From what I have gathered, the max output is around 2 - 2.2 kWh. My base load (without aircons) is under 1 kWh (fridge freezer, wine cooler and 3 fridges plus lights and fans) so I should be well within the range. I of course won’t be using the washing machine or such while hooked up to Dolphin. Will update once I get delivery of the Dolphin and my electrician fits the changeover switch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

From what I have gathered, the max output is around 2 - 2.2 kWh. My base load (without aircons) is under 1 kWh (fridge freezer, wine cooler and 3 fridges plus lights and fans) so I should be well within the range. I of course won’t be using the washing machine or such while hooked up to Dolphin. Will update once I get delivery of the Dolphin and my electrician fits the changeover switch.

Okay, thank you!

I thought I read or saw a video which stated the Dolphin was much more than 2.2 kWh. Maybe that was the MG4? 

Information overload. I really should start taking notes.

42 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Okay, thank you!

I thought I read or saw a video which stated the Dolphin was much more than 2.2 kWh. Maybe that was the MG4? 

Information overload. I really should start taking notes.

You could well be right. I’m just erring on the side of caution 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, macahoom said:

I made a video about integrating V2L with a home solar inverter. They are designed to accept AC power inputs from the grid or a generator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone on the MGEVS forum in the UK tested the V2L function on the MG4 and could get over 6Kw out of it before it tripped.

You need to wire the plug yourself with thick enough wire to stand the current.

I bought an adaptor that is basically a plug with a socket on the same plastic moulding and that’s rated at 3.6Kw.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

One gripe I have with the Atto is that here in Thailand the only range estimate it shows is based on a starting point of 480 km at full charge, which is not very realistic. There's no option for dynamic range estimation. Very irritating as it's only a software tweak, and is available in other markets. Hopefully BYD will unlock this here at some point. 

Somewhere I read that the technician can programatic changed to WLTP versus their starting point of NEDC even with no dynamic range est.

420 (WLTP) 480 (NEDC)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:

Somewhere I read that the technician can programatic changed to WLTP versus their starting point of NEDC even with no dynamic range est.

420 (WLTP) 480 (NEDC)

Yes, I’ve seen that also, a couple of hundred baht at some dealerships.

The dynamic range update was supposedly in the 1.6 OTA in Australia but apparently it didn’t work and the 1.6 OTA was pulled until some issues were sorted.

I'm trying to figure out the cost of charging at my condo before considering an EV.

The ReverSharge app just says it's type 2, AC and 50 baht per hour but it doesn't say the power output.

Juristic staff are useless as they told me it's DC but they eventually sent me a photo of the specifications.

Looks like it's 22kW which would equate to 2.27 baht per kWh which seems unusually cheap...can anyone confirm?

IMG_20230822_141423.jpg

IMG_20230822_141507.jpg

22 minutes ago, matchar said:

I'm trying to figure out the cost of charging at my condo before considering an EV.

The ReverSharge app just says it's type 2, AC and 50 baht per hour but it doesn't say the power output.

Juristic staff are useless as they told me it's DC but they eventually sent me a photo of the specifications.

Looks like it's 22kW which would equate to 2.27 baht per kWh which seems unusually cheap...can anyone confirm?

IMG_20230822_141423.jpg

IMG_20230822_141507.jpg

That actually sounds about right, as I notice the 'slow' charger are by the hour.  Few vendors at Charging Stations that have hourly rate, and notice 22kWh +/- the standard.  

They are usually at Malls & Hotels.  Most be getting electric at a cheaper rate, or a perk to get you to the location.

Obviously not something you want to use when on the road, when your EV will accept 76kW (MG ZS), and most fast chargers/cables put out 50kW or more.

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It could be 3 phase 22Kw, which means your car will draw whatever on-board charger it has.  

Most on-board chargers are 7.2Kw, a few are 11Kw, very few are 22Kw (It's a 100,000 baht option on a Porsche Taycan for example).

In the 2nd graphic you posted, they are talking about 22KwHr delivery, they don't specify the Kw.

I think you can be confident it will deliver 7Kw so it's a rate of about 7 baht / KwHr which is not unreasonable, if you can charge at 11 or 22Kw then it's a bargain.

Thanks for the info, that makes more sense and 7 baht/kWh seems a bit expensive for slow charging at home.

No wonder hardly anyone uses it, especially considering the hassle of moving the car when finished to avoid overtime fees of 100 baht/hr.

I guess I'll have to move to a house before buying an EV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, matchar said:

Thanks for the info, that makes more sense and 7 baht/kWh seems a bit expensive for slow charging at home.

No wonder hardly anyone uses it, especially considering the hassle of moving the car when finished to avoid overtime fees of 100 baht/hr.

I guess I'll have to move to a house before buying an EV.

It is more expensive than charging at home, but it’s still a lot cheaper than petrol or diesel.

350 baht for 400km in an MG4 or equivalent.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It is more expensive than charging at home, but it’s still a lot cheaper than petrol or diesel.

350 baht for 400km in an MG4 or equivalent.

Yes it's a lot cheaper than most cars but it's also a lot of hassle charging in a condo. Assuming MG 4 efficiency of around 6km/kWh I estimate 1.2 baht/km

But a Toyota Yaris Ativ has a very efficient petrol engine (23.3km/L) which works out around 1.7 baht/km with the current high price of oil.

If gasohol goes back down to around 30 baht then the running cost should be roughly the same. Obviously for those with cheaper home charging an EV makes a lot more sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matchar said:

But a Toyota Yaris Ativ has a very efficient petrol engine (23.3km/L) which works out around 1.7 baht/km with the current high price of oil.

If gasohol goes back down to around 30 baht then the running cost should be roughly the same. Obviously for those with cheaper home charging an EV makes a lot more sense.

The difference with the Yaris, is you're unlikely to get anything like that in town, the EV will do it's mileage figures all day long.

My youngest daughter has a Suzuki Ciaz, that's an ECO Car and will do 20km/l on a run, in town it's more like 2/3rds of that.

You might find you can negotiate something better on the price with your condo.  Nobody wants to be getting out of bed at 3am to unplug and move the car.

• Like 1