Electric Vehicles in Thailand

13 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Popped into my local Robinson to see a couple of cheap and cheerful EVs.

Small on the outside and roomy on the inside.

IMG_1678.thumb.jpeg.11c089807527ebd1faff007dee02d415.jpegIMG_1677.thumb.jpeg.5bf537061fc58486b0252df50f47f280.jpegIMG_1672.thumb.jpeg.6b1a9c320b2da5ee89c4fb471627a61f.jpegIMG_1681.jpeg.4bd143c4c20d55f4283a7215c13f2447.jpeg

The Wuling Air EV is based on the China’s best selling EV the the Wuling mini EV. Wuling is a joint venture between SIAC motors that owns MG and General Motors. They are assembled in Indonesia and so won’t be getting any government incentives. 

IMG_1675.thumb.jpeg.664a0f58546e529748d755c621c41a40.jpeg

IMG_1674.thumb.jpeg.12dc94fe2c6e97876d6e0983f21ac36f.jpeg

IMG_1658.thumb.jpeg.1adac78cd9be0d78abf5df78832bbe71.jpeg

I wish they were reasonably priced, like 200k or less, CH pricing.

With the Neta V at 549k, who is going to buy them.  

Hard to justify as a primary car, unless you do very limited driving w/lite load.

If budget is that low, then suffer with the Celerio, though in long run, more expensive, but gives more versatility.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If budget is that low, then suffer with the Celerio

Valid point, but I think you can rule out the manual transmission (MT) Celerio for a like for like comparison. If assembled in Thailand with the Government subsidy it would be no contest.

88316034_CheapestICE.jpg.75b2879b1da8f38780f07491a3950305.jpg

I bought my wife a new Suzuki Swift as her first car - a truly horrible car to drive IMHO. She said she would have chosen the Volt City EV over the swift if she had had the choice. 

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 11:40 AM, DrJoy said:

Those do not cover the battery pack. You may want to read the fine print again.

If you damage the battery in an unfortunate accident or it catches fire etc, the cheaper insurance does NOT cover it.

New battery pack costs approx 1.33 Mill THB, which will have to be paid in cash.

Not true.. I pay 55,000 a year for 1st class insurance on XC60 T8.. it covers the battery pack. Why wouldn't it?

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 6:30 AM, Bandersnatch said:

AION Goes Global With Thailand Overseas Debut

Aion Hyper GT apparently has the lowest drag coefficient of any production car in the world with a CD of 0.197. It starts at $30,600 in China.

You can get it with a 70.1kWh  2 minute swappable LFP battery with 600km CLTC range

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Aion Hyper GT apparently has the lowest drag coefficient of any production car in the world with a CD of 0.197. It starts at $30,600 in China.

You can get it with a 70.1kWh  2 minute swappable LFP battery with 600km CLTC range

Very nice, some nice performance EV’s appearing from China with the BYD Seal, MG X Power and now this.

Talking about the Seal, latest rumour is some right wheel drive versions have been spotted at the docks in China heading for …. ?

44 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Talking about the Seal, latest rumour is some right wheel drive versions have been spotted at the docks in China heading for …. ?

Been watching those rumours today on FB myself but nothing concrete enough to post hence not worth translating but definitely RHD

IMG_1718.thumb.jpeg.7fb28858964e3f7a35958265e2ea6a0c.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

How much do you think the Seal(s) will cost in Thailand?

I don’t know how much the Seal will cost in Thailand. We can’t use the price in China as it’s LHD and the Chinese market is super competitive right now.

So my best guess is that the BYD Seal will cost more than the Atto 3 in Thailand as it is the Atto 4. BYD has been undercutting Tesla on price so we can expect that the Seal to be cheaper than the model 3 especially as Tesla doesn’t get any government subsidies. 

In conclusion I think the Hong Kong prices won’t be far off what the cost will be in Thailand. What we do know for sure is the price difference for each Seal model. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

For those who were interested in the BYD Seal but forgot what it looks like, here’s a quick reminder from Derek.

Note: this is European spec so might differ slightly from the Thai version.

The loss of the Build Your Dreams Logo and the fish scales I will gladly live without, but no karaoke! ????

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The Performance version sounds like a great car.

I just read this in my morning routine Review: is the new BYD Seal better than the Tesla Model 3? (msn.com)

Basically, it is better!

Yeh, all the reviews I've read and watched are very positive.

About the only thing that keeps coming up is the over complicated tech - but that's a very common complaint with EVs; par for the course.

https://thedriven.io/2023/09/01/kia-ev5-lands-in-china-with-surprisingly-low-affordable-price-for-small-electric-suv/

The new Kia EV5 looks interesting with very competitive pricing China. It would be nice to get some more affordable choices in Thailand apart from MG but I expect the price will be much higher if it ever launches here.

Surprisingly though, the Kia Carnival is available in Thailand at less than half the cost of a Toyota Alphard.

• Like 2