Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

I bow to your greater knowledge of Tarts Handbags, but maybe if you had actually driven the MG4 you might have been able to make an informed decision.

Turns out most motoring journalists don’t agree with you.

IMG_1188.jpeg.fd78b168842cbb8c5da82f985503d373.jpegIMG_1189.jpeg.16519e0a75bc9c9540a0ed2e8457a692.jpegIMG_1190.jpeg.bbe07c25c4db3c0ee0fb4dc7df118e7f.jpegIMG_1191.jpeg.815c2ad69b1da21051a9b2b98816ba80.jpegIMG_1192.jpeg.d8a025dfe723fa4036c5d9ea1a2fd75b.jpegIMG_1193.jpeg.8edc1e8846e6dfcb57c4a5dc51a1dfc2.jpegIMG_1194.jpeg.69503f4909c308cd74c3555e430ab24b.jpegIMG_1195.thumb.jpeg.71aeba76eaac690ac8b621c4c121eb3a.jpeg

I was talking about the MG4X specifically and I thought Mat Watson's comments on aesthetics were spot on. 

He rightly ridiculed the orange plastic brake caliper covers but I guess a fanboy could call them innovation on a production car.

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I get the impression you think the power of a BEV is dependent on the amount of power remaining in the battery.

The only time a BEV does not have full power available is when it enters Turtle Mode. Turtle Mode is a feature which is designed to help you when your EV's battery is almost empty. Depending on the manufacturer, Turtle Mode will kick in once the battery's charge level is below 10% to 1%. Once it turns on, it will try its best to preserve the battery level by limiting the car’s speed and acceleration.

Actually the performance of some EV’s has been known to degrade when launched multiple times. It’s likely negligible in everyday driving, but it could make a difference when measuring 10ths of a second.

• Confused 3

Just now, HarveyWlc said:

Actually the performance of some EV’s has been known to degrade when launched multiple times. It’s likely negligible in everyday driving, but it could make a difference when measuring 10ths of a second.

It's one of the reasons why Porsche pioneered 800v architecture and others are now moving to 800v too.  Also faster charging, they charge like for like at half the current.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Jelli said:

Issues with EV are legend and quite insurmountable. Sold to us as clean and green they are not any cleaner or greener than ICE. Batteries made with components dug out of the ground by children. The manufacturing process is very dirty. Batteries are extremely expensive and dangerous.

For all intents and purposes no charging stations in Bangkok certainly no plugs at every parking space in every condo and never will be.

I get the interest and discussion about speed off the line but what the average person desperately needs is mileage. Cars now easy get a thousand km on a tank of gas. Fancy EVs lucky to get a few hundred.

Industry was hijacked. What the world needs are more efficient ice not electric vehicles.

EV will prove to be a fad. We'll have something else like hydrogen.

Good luck when you have EV and social credit score determines your electricity allocation.

Plenty of carbon fuel, oil for generations until we get fusion. Lemmings.

You can't say there never will be charging points at condos, unless you have a crystal ball.  I think it highly likely that there will be legislation mandating it.  Some are installing them already.

For most people, 1,000km range is nonsense.  It's dangerous not to have a break every few hours and the range of most EV's s about 3.5 hours.  We also have high speed charging stations every 30-50 km on the highways and you don't need any near your home.

I don't think Hydrogen will replace EV's, I think it more likely they will be sold alongside EV's, possibly cheaper to buy if there is a Lithium shortage, but in any event, at least double the cost of fuel per km and maybe more if Hydrogen is taxed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It's one of the reasons why Porsche pioneered 800v architecture and others are now moving to 800v too.  Also faster charging, they charge like for like at half the current.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the all-electric 718 (also touted to use the same 800v architecture) fairs to its petrol counterpart.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

You can't say there never will be charging points at condos, unless you have a crystal ball.  I think it highly likely that there will be legislation mandating it.  Some are installing them already.

For most people, 1,000km range is nonsense.  It's dangerous not to have a break every few hours and the range of most EV's s about 3.5 hours.  We also have high speed charging stations every 30-50 km on the highways and you don't need any near your home.

I don't think Hydrogen will replace EV's, I think it more likely they will be sold alongside EV's, possibly cheaper to buy if there is a Lithium shortage, but in any event, at least double the cost of fuel per km and maybe more if Hydrogen is taxed.

You're just projecting same as I.

As the electric will need to be paid for I think you're a hopeless dreamer on plugs in condos connected to your own condo meter / bill. Possibly, third party install. I see theft, rats nest of wires, bickering and fighting.

A solution in search of a problem... don't even get me started on BS solar and wind.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I was projecting but I did say so by prefixing it with "I think it highly likely", you should have done the same.  

I never said plugs in condo's connected to your own meter.  I think we will see communal charging stations with RFID cards that will bill you personally.

Solar is great, I have it, and you clearly have wind, a lot of it and hot.

I don't have it. I pay about b4 per unit.

You?

35 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I was talking about the MG4X specifically and I thought Mat Watson's comments on aesthetics were spot on. 

He rightly ridiculed the orange plastic brake caliper covers but I guess a fanboy could call them innovation on a production car.

In fact the orange plastic brake caliper covers and some stitching is all that differentiates the MG4 and MG4X cosmetically 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I pay about 4 baht/unit from PEA, but about 97% of my electricity comes from my Solar panels.

You are not costing in all that expensive equipment inverters, panels and especially batteries. All this stuff but you still have an imbilical cord. All that junk will end up in a landfill with toxins leaching into water table. None of it recyclable but hey go ???? green ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

In fact the orange plastic brake caliper covers and some stitching is all that differentiates the MG4 and MG4X cosmetically 

On the inside, they have covered the seats in Alcantara and the outside the matt black trims with carbon inserts are replaced by glass black with grey (maybe carbon) inserts.

There's probably another badge that needs removing alongside the MG4, Electric, iSmart & Britdynamic cr?p.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The extremely reasonable price (By BMW standards) of the iX3 is due to the fact that it’s imported from China - yes you can drive a Chinese car and nobody will know.

I have posted previously about the iX1, but the problem with  iX1 is that it’s built at BMW’s Regensburg plant and would incur 80% import duties. When I spoke to BMW staff at this year’s BKK motor show, they said that there were plans to assemble the iX1 in Asia, but details were a bit vague.

BMW ix1 eDrive30 starts at 54,800 euros

BMW ix1 eDrive20 starts at 47,900 euros

20230910_040946000_iOS.thumb.jpeg.434e58a4c484869f3f4f87f28f32d4b6.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems like my MG4 price reduction post earlier might have been a red herring but there is the opportunity to get the MG4 in a new colour ( from the official MG website this time ) at the usual price of 869k (D) and 969k (X) .

But hurry because it is a very limited edition at only 8 units !!

IMG_1240.jpeg.5868e17c413f74527dcc05d0d66eed96.jpeg

Isn't that colour designed for a bird, girl, lady or others.........?  ????

Mind you, a lady in 1924 would not be seen dead in that.........????

Edited by transam

24 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The extremely reasonable price (By BMW standards) of the iX3 is due to the fact that it’s imported from China - yes you can drive a Chinese car and nobody will know.

I have posted previously about the iX1, but the problem with  iX1 is that it’s built at BMW’s Regensburg plant and would incur 80% import duties. When I spoke to BMW staff at this year’s BKK motor show, they said that there were plans to assemble the iX1 in Asia, but details were a bit vague.

BMW ix1 eDrive30 starts at 54,800 euros

BMW ix1 eDrive20 starts at 47,900 euros

20230910_040946000_iOS.thumb.jpeg.434e58a4c484869f3f4f87f28f32d4b6.jpeg

Yes, EVs get a tax advantage. 

Just spoke to BMW at the motorshow. +4% tax for plug-in hybrid vs. +25% tax for pure diesel ️. 

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

What is it with EV thread trolls.  Do they think they are actually going to change anyone's mind about EVs.  Especially considering all the BS they spew. 

They make up 75% of my ignore list.  Others are CH, TH & USA, bashers, along with label users (left/right/rep/dem), or those that want me to use silly labels/pronouns.

You changed your mind about MG's, chap, so let's not forget that........????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, macahoom said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I get the impression you think the power of a BEV is dependent on the amount of power remaining in the battery.

The only time a BEV does not have full power available is when it enters Turtle Mode. Turtle Mode is a feature which is designed to help you when your EV's battery is almost empty. Depending on the manufacturer, Turtle Mode will kick in once the battery's charge level is below 10% to 1%. Once it turns on, it will try its best to preserve the battery level by limiting the car’s speed and acceleration.

That is not entirely accurate. Most EV's will start limiting the available power well before you enter turtle mode, but generally it will only start being noticeable when you get down to around 20% state of charge.

If you watch TeslaBjorn's videos, you will have seen him doing 0-100 km/h tests at different levels of state of charge. These are the results from his spreadsheet:
image.png.760908be189ae3c4e0171a57f614ce22.png

As you can see, the acceleration times generally starts going up noticeable when reaching 20-30% SOC, but for some models like the ID4 the times slowly creeps up starting as high as 70%  SOC.

• Thumbs Up 1