Electric Vehicles in Thailand

Thanks, yes we plan to test drive before we buy.

One more dumb question - are all the EV charging points in Thailand compatible with all cars? Do I need to subscribe to one provider or can I simply "pay as I go" with any provider?

Best wishes,

N

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Niltava said:

Thanks, yes we plan to test drive before we buy.

One more dumb question - are all the EV charging points in Thailand compatible with all cars? Do I need to subscribe to one provider or can I simply "pay as I go" with any provider?

Best wishes,

N

Everyone I have found is compatible.

• Like 1

I have little knowledge of these sewing machine cars but.....

My daily commute to and from work is 78km each way takes 1hr give or take.

bit of a storm earlier this week in the Sriracha/Pintong area had the 7 motorway well flooded at the Laem Chabang intersection.

Created heavy traffic congestion that resulted in my 1 hr commute taking 2.5hrs.

I was fine with half a tank of dinosaur juice in the tank 2 packs of smokes and 6 pack of leos on the passenger seat but had me pondering.

If I owned one of these sewing machine vehicle and was a bit low on battery but enough for a typical commute would I have made it home ?

Edited by Ralf001
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Due to recent floods, I read on Facebook that car insurance does not cover water damage battery due to flood . Is this norm for 1sr class insurance in Thailand ? For those who bought cars that includes insurance , I hope flood and fire is included . Any thought about which insurance company has better coverage ? 

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

but I'm going to share my ignorance with you because I'm that sort of a guy :clap2:

"I have little knowledge" shows just how little knowledge he actually has as he thinks EVs are like ICE cars that run their engines while sitting in traffic. 

So... you have little knowledge as well.

When EV's are rolling at crawling speed... with air con and mostly likely the radio  they use zero battery... is that what you are saying ?

cheers champ.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So... you have little knowledge as well.

When EV's are rolling at crawling speed... with air con and mostly likely the radio  they use zero battery... is that what you are saying ?

cheers champ.

Unlike you I have owned EVs in Thailand for years. I currently own 2.

I started this discussion about EVs in Thailand 2 years ago. I am the top contributor as well as being the OP.

I have produced several videos about EVs that has meant spending many hours in them with the aircon running. So I can tell you from experience that 2.5hrs of aircon would only used a couple % of the battery, but I don't expect you to take my world for it.

Tesla's come with a feature called "camp mode"  

"In an eight-hour period, the typical battery consumption of Camp Mode is roughly 10% of the charge"

https://www.notateslaapp.com/tesla-reference/830/tesla-camp-mode-a-comprehensive-guide

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Everyone I have found is compatible.

To add to that, yes, you will need to subscribe to the different vendors.  All quite easy, after a quick learning curve.  Some payment differences, through app, pre-loaded, bank transfer, or CC.

I would highly advice not to register with Evolt, very few fast charger, terrible network, and can't withdraw funds once on app.O

We use EV Station Pluz & PEA Volta almost exclusively.  Since having a MG, registered with them and have used them a lot in the past, but like the EV Station Pluz locations @ PTT Parks, with plenty of munchies (7-11) available.  Usually hit in the AM, and being our 1st meal for the day.

O&A (out & about) now, and seems we eat as much from there, as we do restaurants :cheesy:

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bandersnatch said:

Unlike you I have owned EVs in Thailand for years. I currently own 2.

I started this discussion about EVs in Thailand 2 years ago. I am the top contributor as well as being the OP.

I have produced several videos about EVs that has meant spending many hours in them with the aircon running. So I can tell you from experience that 2.5hrs of aircon would only used a couple % of the battery, but I don't expect you to take my world for it.

Tesla's come with a feature called "camp mode"  

"In an eight-hour period, the typical battery consumption of Camp Mode is roughly 10% of the charge"

https://www.notateslaapp.com/tesla-reference/830/tesla-camp-mode-a-comprehensive-guide

ok well answer the question.

distance to home - 78km.

battery distance to empty - 90km

typical drive time is 1hr.

road flooded drive time is 2.5hrs.

would I have got home or would I have been stranded with no battery.

26 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Due to recent floods, I read on Facebook that car insurance does not cover water damage battery due to flood

If you like EOW are the sort of person who likes to go driving in over a meter of water can I suggest you buy a Fomm EV they are available to buy in Thailand for ฿500k. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

distance to home - 78km.

I always set my EV range to adaptive. If you like to drive over 120kph then you will see the range dropping. However, if you are in slow moving traffic your range will increase substantially, it's called "hypermiling"

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

would I have got home 

yes you would

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I always set my EV range to adaptive. If you like to drive over 120kph then you will see the range dropping. However, if you are in slow moving traffic your range will increase substantially, it's called "hypermiling"

yes you would

cool  so hypermiling would have got me home.

Thanks for answering what I assumed (wrongly as a butthurt sewing machine owner thought an insult was the  answer was to be the the right angle)to be a basic question.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

distance to home - 78km.

Flooded/heavy traffic and you need to go 78km and car states you got 90km left ... well, nuff said.

Adding any other opinion would be considered offensive.

26 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

distance to home - 78km.

You would still need a toilet 🚻 break after the 6 Leo.

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Flooded/heavy traffic and you need to go 78km and car states you got 90km left ... well, nuff said.

Adding any other opinion would be considered offensive.

reading you struggle with or are your eyes painted on ?

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

First week of owning my new EV I visited all the main EV charging companies (Most are conveniently located within a few minutes of my house) I logged onto the app, setup my car and payment details and did a test charge.

I live and work in Chonburi, which EV charging companies should I download an APP for and set up an account ?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I live and work in Chonburi, which EV charging companies should I download an APP for and set up an account ?

Check out below Thailand EV Charger thread.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Cool thanks, will look into it.

The place I fuel up (company card) with diesel do not have a charge stations that I have seen.....

but then I throw in 80lt of diesel (in a few minutes) and that lasts me a week so have not taken much notice of EV owners drinking lattes for an hour whilst their sewing machine charge up.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

distance to home - 78km.

I have seen reports in the EV facebook groups  of batteries being unstable or unreliable once the battery drops below 20% some EV owners reporting range drops from 12km to 0km in less than 30 seconds

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

I have little knowledge of these sewing machine cars but.....

My daily commute to and from work is 78km each way takes 1hr give or take.

bit of a storm earlier this week in the Sriracha/Pintong area had the 7 motorway well flooded at the Laem Chabang intersection.

Created heavy traffic congestion that resulted in my 1 hr commute taking 2.5hrs.

I was fine with half a tank of dinosaur juice in the tank 2 packs of smokes and 6 pack of leos on the passenger seat but had me pondering.

If I owned one of these sewing machine vehicle and was a bit low on battery but enough for a typical commute would I have made it home ?

I have a BYD Atto Extended Range (60KW battery).  It has a 480 NEDC or 420WLTP range rating.  Realworld I get around 440Km in combined city and highway driving.   A 78Km daily round trip would allow me to make such a trip at least 5 times with some battery left over....or said another way 5 days worth of 78Km trips.   If you get stuck in traffic and just inch along for a few hours you will not burn much battery juice....since the electric motor is not needing to power the EV too far since you are stuck in traffic.    

And why worry about a low battery charge assuming you top-up the charge every few days just to play it safe.  Or you can live dangerously and just let the charge get really low....then you'll will want to drink the whole six pack as you will be piss444ed at yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I have seen reports in the EV facebook groups  of batteries being unstable or unreliable once the battery drops below 20% some EV owners reporting range drops from 12km to 0km in less than 30 seconds

No doubt this happens on some models but assuming a person has an EV with a range of say at least 400Km and they let the charge get down to only 12Km (which was probably only about 3% charge remaining), well, they probably deserve to "run out of juice" on the road. 

• Agree 2

Wet and Cold in the UK

How far can electric cars REALLY go?? – we drive 12 until they DIE! Tesla, BYD & more | What Car?

Lexus did travel a further 21 miles or 33km when the battery was showing zero

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Driving used to be about freedom and the open road, they even made movies and countless songs about that absolute sense of freedom. 

Now it is all about planning and having a phone full of apps. I truly feel sorry for you, you are serving hard time in a self-created EV jail.

My EV has 580km of range from it's 82.5kWh LFP battery. Since that first week I have never had to pay for any charge. I have an off-grid solar system (no PEA) that powers my house, 2 EVs and an electric motorbike.

My EV is a sports car with 3.8 seconds 0-100kph that's what the 3.8s is on the back of the car.

370168092_294430960048879_4964042192608601355_n.thumb.jpg.f2b253447aea3b82fe2402d4e46761d5.jpg

A video with my Thai friend in the car

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

No doubt this happens on some models but assuming a person has an EV with a range of say at least 400Km and they let the charge get down to only 12Km (which was probably only about 3% charge remaining), well, they probably deserve to "run out of juice" on the road. 

It happens when someone aims to use a charging station and then finds on arrival charging station is out of order and the next available charging station battery stated sufficient number of km to get to the next charging station but then readings become unstable or unreliable

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1