Electric Vehicles in Thailand

42 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Oh, I do understand it, I just wonder why you’re wanting people to agree to it? What’s the agenda?

I know enough about you to know you have a hidden agenda.

You have nothing to fear except fear itself. We are still a long way off December 8th, where we statistically should have our first BYD fire 🔥

Why are you afraid of confirming solid data?

19 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You have nothing to fear except fear itself. We are still a long way off December 8th, where we statistically should have our first BYD fire 🔥

Why are you afraid of confirming solid data?

Why should I?

Why is it you need me to?

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Why should I?

Why is it you need me to?

You don't have to agree to anything,  you could also provide your own data, if you have any.

Where is SeñorLA? Is he stuck in camping mode cooking burittos on the side of the road?

On 3/18/2024 at 7:40 PM, Bandersnatch said:

“EVs are too expensive”

”ICE cars are way cheaper”

”Most Thais can’t afford a new car let alone an EV”

IMG_3661.thumb.jpeg.d43ad752056436146aa5fdcc3fb6dc09.jpeg

I passed a transporter truck full of these on the 7 motorway this afternoon. Quirky looking little things.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 6:34 AM, KhunLA said:

:cheesy:

"How Common Are Electric Car Fires?

Electric car fires are exceedingly rare. There will be only three electric car fires per 1,000 vehicles over the vehicle’s lifetime. Fuel-powered vehicles will experience fires 35 times more frequently over their lifetimes.

Since 2010, researchers who study vehicle fires found 200 fires in electric cars over the last 12 years. That research also studied the whole world and not just the United States. The U.S., however, had the most fires of that, 200: 52. The researchers also stated that in 20 years, the percentage of electric cars that experience fires might go up after two decades of wear and tear.

The number of fires has stayed constant since electric vehicles jumped from experimental status to a viable choice for people buying vehicles.

Are Electric Cars More Prone to Fires?

Electric cars are not more prone to catching fire than their fuel-powered counterparts. Hybrid vehicles often catch fire because they, in essence, have two engines. It’s still not common even when considering hybrid vehicles, which catch fire about 130 times for every straight-up electric car. That’s still only roughly 3,000 per 100,000 or one in a hundred vehicles over the vehicle’s life.

A new lithium battery is also even less prone to fires than lithium-ion batteries. It’s called the lithium iron phosphate battery. Recently, Tesla, Volkswagen, and Ford are switching to these new batteries for their newest vehicles. This will make a rare event even rarer. Still, the risk is so low that there are no plans to recall and retrofit already-produced electric vehicles. The same holds true for hybrid cars, whose fire incidence will also be drastically reduced.

Improvements are “coming down the pike” more and more quickly these days, so changes to the power plants of electric vehicles are inevitable. As the market changes, safety measures for these electric vehicles are bound to change along with it."

Now that we have established that the EVangelist are afraid, yes downright fear, rock solid data, let's explore the drivel they share.

SeñorLA's Saul Goodman lawyer is claiming that 3/1000 EVs and 105 ICE vehicles will burn 🔥 during their lifetime.

Combine that with solid data:

ICE: 56 fires/billion miles

EV (Tesla): 5 fires/billion miles

You get the below lifetime milage for each type of car:

ICE: 1,875,000 miles

EV: 600,000 miles 

Clearly the average car never does this many miles, the numbers are off by about x10 for ICE and x5 for EVs.

The EV hybe is based on fabricated lies and made up numbers.

SeñorLA,  you should fact check your source before sharing it, or better yet, never post about EV fires 🔥,  a subject you clearly know nothing about. 

45 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Combine that with solid data:

ICE: 56 fires/billion miles

EV (Tesla): 5 fires/billion miles

You get the below lifetime milage for each type of car:

ICE: 1,875,000 miles

EV: 600,000 miles 

Can you walk me thru your math and provide a link(s) to the source data?   More detail on the underlying numbers and formula you used is needed. Thanks.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Can you walk me thru your math and provide a link(s) to the source data?   More detail on the underlying numbers and formula you used is needed. Thanks.

I am glad you asked and out of respect for the Fortuner I will happily do so.

The ICE fire number is from NTSB and based on 100,000+ fires, you can easily verify it.

The 5 EV fires/billion miles are based on about 40 Tesla fires, not a great statistically base, but it the best we have for now.

5 fires/ billion miles is equivalent to 1 fire/ 200 million miles.

Using the lawyers numbers of 3 EV fires/1000 vehicle lifetimes,  1 in 333 cars will go up in flames over its lifetime.

200 million miles/ 333 = 600,000 miles/lifetime

Similar for ICE:

(105 fires/1000 lifetime) / (56 fires/billion miles) =1,875,000 miles/lifetime

Clearly 10% of ICE vehicles don't burn and the lawyers numbers are way to high, both for EVs and ICE vehicles. 

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What on earth are you talking about? The figures you quoted say absolutely nothing about the lifetime mileage of vehicles of either type.

They are not "off" by any multiple whatsoever, because individual vehicle longevity is not a part of what those statistics indicate.

You apparently don't even understand what the numbers that you quoted mean.

I take your comment is addressed to SeñorLA and his Saul Goodman lawyer. 

The numbers are not mine,  I am just doing the math.

• Confused 3

12 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

You are transparent, I said you had an ulterior motive in asking for commitment to your stats, and guess what? You did!

Of course your conclusions are as contrived as your questions.

The stats are simple. EV’s are many times less likely you to catch fire, stop, trying to spin and twist the data, nobody is fooled, the only fool is yourself.

Yeah, well spotted and good fun. Now that we know you are the crust of EV intelligentsia, you should stop trying to spin and twist the data 😉 .

10x, yes agree 👍.  140x not so much.

Screenshot_20240325_074628_Chrome.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Is it any wonder the ICE vehicles are much more likely to catch fire? They have a tank filled with a highly flammable liquid .

I remember in the 80s back in the US there was a sporty car , I think made by Pontiac that had to be recalled and subsequent discontinued because it had a tendency to catch fire, 

It was appropriately named Fiero.:cheesy:

image.png.c40410992ca3d1a0f0b0977da45b2d3f.png

Not to be confused with the Pontiac Firebird , much loved by some …. well 1 …… on here !!

IMG_3199.jpeg.303d7faa94a0eb22cbbad83b28224266.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not to be confused with the Pontiac Firebird , much loved by some …. well 1 …… on here !!

IMG_3199.jpeg.303d7faa94a0eb22cbbad83b28224266.jpeg

I agree.

A great car. 

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I agree.

A great car. 

Yea, I beat the sh!t out of mine, and surprisingly, it took it with no problem.  Actually kind of impressed, and a fun car to drive, though weight distribution was way off, and would fishtail around itself, by simply turning the wheel and punching it from dead stop.   Aside from that, handled great.

Although now, realize how low tech and little power it had, after driving an EV.   Though compared to my brother's 'worked 55/56 Chevys', it was crap, but not bad for a stock, off the line car.

The MG Cyberster price has been announced. This appears to be for the fast model. No mention of the lesser, slower model:

MG CYBERSTER has a Thai price of 2.499 million baht.
At the Motor Show 2024, MG has revealed the real car, NEW MG CYBERSTER, an electric roadster, convertible, 2 seats, right-hand drive model. First time in ASEAN After the concept car was revealed at Motor Expo 2021 and is considered to be the first electric roadster in Thailand. Ready to deliver the car in July at a price of 2,499,000 baht.

NEW MG CYBERSTER is considered Thailand's first electric 2-seat convertible roadster. Features a gull-wing door with a touch-operated push button to open and close. The opening and closing angle can be set from 30-76 degrees and is safe with a sensor system when opening the door in a narrow space.

The NEW MG CYBERSTER drive system comes with a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Moto dual motor, 4-wheel drive system, providing a maximum power of 544 horsepower (400 kilowatts), a maximum torque of 725 Newton meters, able to accelerate from 0 – 100 kilometers/hour in just 3.2 seconds, it reaches a top speed of 200 kilometers per hour. The battery system that comes with the car has a capacity of 77 kWh, can run a distance of 503 kilometers per charge according to NEDC standards, supports fast charging, Quick Charge, charging from 10% - 80% takes about 26 minutes at speed. up to 140 kW.

NEW MG CYBERSTER has 3 exterior colors to choose from: Flame Red, Photon Yellow and Bullet Silver. The interior of the cabin is two-tone. The two-tone black-red color will match with the red and yellow exterior colors, while the two-tone-gray-white color will match with the silver-bronze exterior colors.

You can reserve your car and choose the color in advance at https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg-cyberster at a price of 2,499,000 baht, ready to deliver the car in July. Car quality warranty for 5 years or 160,000 kilometers (whichever comes first) and battery warranty for 8 years or 200,000 kilometers (whichever comes first).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

I agree.

A great car. 

Really? Most American muscle cars were sedans parading as sports cars, with 2 tons of an iron clump under the hood, redlining at 4500 RPM.........lol       Trust me, I had one - a T/A 455 SD no less, quick for the times, no breaks to speak of, and would be run off the road by most lowly electrical car today.

But hey, we were all kids at some point, but most of us moved on, had real jobs, maybe even family......... but not all did  🤪

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Your oil industry math is totally nonsensical and illogical. Your provided data however does show that ICEVs are 11 times more likely to catch fire than EVs, that’s all.

11 is correct, congratulation, you have learned something new today. 

Now that we agree to 11, it is showing how fast the EV propaganda machine was spinning when numbers of 100+ were shared by many EVanglists.

If you can articulate what part of the math u are unable to comprehend, maybe I can educate you.

I find it odd that you shoot the messenger rather than acknowledging that the Saul Goodman lawyer have bad data on their site. Even more so since the data are false both for ICE and EV.

• Confused 1