Electric Vehicles in Thailand

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

filter <50kW  (48 or 49).   Still pretty fast, and since many EV, mine include, won't accept 100kW, then seems a senseless.  MG ZS will accept 76kW.

Also, which I just realized, the PhugShare site & app, show vastly different number of chargers.   For some reason, app show many more.  Thought that a bit strange.   Charge Loma app a bit better, but still not as good as the vendor apps, as current.

My screenshot was probably from Charge Loma and are fast charger 49kw & up

50kW is not a fast charger, it will take 1-2 hours to charge most EVs. Also I only get 35 when filtering with 50kW+ stations and still they are mostly single stations with only 2 plugs. Note I filter only existing stations, not including planned and future. I think it doesn't help anyone to lie about the charging network available in Thailand.

charger50kw.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

50kW is not a fast charger, it will take 1-2 hours to charge most EVs. Also I only get 35 when filtering with 50kW+ stations and still they are mostly single stations with only 2 plugs. Note I filter only existing stations, not including planned and future. I think it doesn't help anyone to lie about the charging network available in Thailand.

charger50kw.png

You certainly don't own or know much about EVs.  Ours goes from 30% to 95% in <40 mins, or the time it takes for the wife & myself to 'P', walk the dog, and get a munch.  Car is usually done (@90-95%) before or about same time we are, or we'll let it keep going, if nobody is waiting to plug in.   The last 5% does take about 20 mins, so we usually never bother waiting, unless actually doing something.

Frankly, I think you're an idiot if taking your EV to 20-25%, or lower, while O&A.  For us, that's 3+ hrs on the road anyway, using 60-65%, so a break is welcomed, if we even last that long.

Any intelligent person doesn't take it below 25%, and the largest battery (affordable) in TH is 82kWh, I think, most in the 50-60kWh range, so rarely more than 1 hr, unless very low, and topping up to 100%, and as stated, why bother with the last 5%, that's silly long for little benefit.

BYE BYE

z MG ZS EV 2022.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You certainly don't own or know much about EVs.  Ours goes from 30% to 95% in <40 mins, or the time it takes for the wife & myself to 'P', walk the dog, and get a munch.  Car is usually done (@90-95%) before or about same time we are, or we'll let it keep going, if nobody is waiting to plug in.   The last 5% does take about 20 mins, so we usually never bother waiting, unless actually doing something.

Frankly, I think you're an idiot if taking your EV to 20-25%, or lower, while O&A.  For us, that's 3+ hrs on the road anyway, using 60-65%, so a break is welcomed, if we even last that long.

Any intelligent person doesn't take it below 25%, and the largest battery (affordable) in TH is 82kWh, I think, most in the 50-60kWh range, so rarely more than 1 hr, unless very low, and topping up to 100%, and as stated, why bother with the last 5%, that's silly long for little benefit.

BYE BYE

z MG ZS EV 2022.jpg

Your MG has a battery capacity of 50.6 kWh? 😁 😂 😀 

My Bimmer has a 750 kWh power pack 💪.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

A question from newbie. I live in rented house and considering an EV. Thinking about BYD seal, but the choice is not final. Obviously house owner will not let me to make any alterations with house wiring either install any charger. But there is a usual electric plug conveniently located near parking place. So my questions are: will I be able to charge EV from that socket? I do not care about charging time, can be even several days, as Im using car rarely. If so, will I need to buy some socket adaptor, or usually it coming with car?

Edited by VBer

8 minutes ago, VBer said:

A question from newbie. I live in rented house and considering an EV. Thinking about BYD seal, but the choice is not final. Obviously house owner will not let me to make any alterations with house wiring either install any charger. But there is a usual electric plug conveniently located near parking place. So my questions are: will I be able to charge EV from that socket? I do not care about charging time, can be even several days, as Im using car rarely. If so, will I need to buy some socket adaptor, or usually it coming with car?

You can use a 3-5kW wall charger and yes it will likely take full day to charge your car. And that's fine if you don't drive much or it's a 2nd or 3nd car. Just not recommended if you need to do a lot of road trips.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VBer said:

A question from newbie. I live in rented house and considering an EV. Thinking BYD seal, but the choice is not final. Obviously house owner will not let me to make any alterations with house wiring either install any charger. But there is a usual electric plug conveniently located near parking place. So my questions are: will I be able to charge EV from that socket? I do not care about charging time, can be even several days, as Im using car rarely. If so, will I need to buy some socket adaptor, or usually it coming with car?

You can charge an EV with a standard socket ( no adaptor required ), most EV’s supply a charger ( known as a granny or emergency charger ) .

If there is no earth wire to your socket then it is likely that the dealer supplied granny charger will not work, but you can buy a charger from Lazada ( I did this to charge at my mother in law’s house ).

I charged at home with my granny charger for around a month ( until wall charger installation ) and found it sufficient and very easy.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

The farcical, ‘EV’s will save the planet’ drive, stemming from the liberal elite in Brussels / Strasbourg, is unravelling at pace. The second hand EV market in the UK has imploded; a huge percentage of initial purchases were from tax incentivised fleet purchases, and nobody wants to buy their 3 year old EV’s with no idea or history of battery degradation.

The bubble has well and truly burst in Europe, with thousands that bought EV’s privately scrambling to sell them to return to ICE’s

Thailand were behind Europe in being coerced into taking part in this appalling, failed experiment; it will consequently take a bit longer for the realisation of the utter folly to be acknowledged here, which gives any EV owners here a window, albeit a brief one, to sell their cars and get back on the gas.     

Though I think you are right in many respects, I am not so sure that the diehards here will be capitulating, they will go back to part exchange their MG at MG, they will take their old ride to buy another. Then wipe their brow.....Phew...    🤭

17 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

You absolutely lied, saying they were all FAST CHARGERS in Chonburi, but you got CAUGHT.. lol, why did you chose to lie? couldn't you have chosen something more constructive like saying the charging network is still lacking?

I guess you can't read the post above ... no deception, but please, keep repeating it.   Though don't expect any further replies.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I guess you can't read the post above ... no deception, but please, keep repeating it.   Though don't expect any further replies.

Let's hear how you didn't lie? .. lol.. good luck, everyone can look back in the thread and see your lies, why deny it? just admit you lied. It will make you feel better and maybe people will respect you again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

Let's hear how you didn't lie? .. lol.. good luck, everyone can look back in the thread and see your lies, why deny it? just admit you lied. It will make you feel better and maybe people will respect you again.

I’ve looked back in the thread, and seen his lie; but if he holds his hand up to it, it will be a first

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

I suppose some day you will notice that the UK is no longer in the EU....... at least not for the time being.

If you would be kind enough to point out where I said that the UK was still in the EU, I will apologise for my error; if you cannot, please refrain from attempting to attribute statements to me that I categorically did not make …. thank you kindly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The problem with your argument is that secondhand prices in the UK are compared to "List" prices for new cars when nobody pays the full price. Watch the video below to educate yourself

Well glad you finally got around to talking about "EVs in Thailand" the title of this discussion. 

There is an expectation here that you post evidence to support your claims which you failed to do, so it's my job to call you out on the twaddle you just posted.

EV sales in Thailand rose last year by over 700% 

ICE car sales in Thailand fell by 19%

Proving that you are talking utter nonsense

IMG_2820.jpeg.b64f9229d522fcbb6543db93fa7ff5f5.jpg.ae466e128355d03e2dcbb71a647b7f86.jpg

That snapshot from the FTI  only shows partial year not full year for 2023

For the entire last year, domestic auto sales fell 8.67 percent from a year earlier to 775,780 units, of which 30.75 percent were ICE passenger cars, 11.98 percent were HEVs, and 9.48 percent were BEVs, the statement said.

https://english.news.cn/asiapacific/20240130/66e3419a1be742708839fb1cd4ce47c6/c.html

• Like 1