Electric Vehicles in Thailand

16 hours ago, In the jungle said:

My Hilux 15 to 16 km/litre since it was new.  Now 500,000 km on the odo.

1000 km range.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

WHAT!? Thb 2,300 just to travel 1,000 km? You diesel pickup truck drivers must be rich. My car travels on fresh air and… sunshine lol.

36 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

As @JBChiangRai said, some anti-EV folks read what they want. Neither of us claimed that we travelled 1,000 km without stopping. But you are right. I lied. I have done 5,378 kms so far on fresh air and sunshine, not 1,000.

You were replying to a post where @In the jungle mentioned 1000 km range so when you posted  My car travels on fresh air and… sunshine lol. that implies you car as a range of  1000km on fresh air and sunshine and we all know that is false

Hi all, so I'm picking up model Y in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone had managed to get a TOU meter installed in Bangkok? I see a lot of people posted about it on PEA but not on MEA.

Any experience would be highly appreciated.

29 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You were replying to a post where @In the jungle mentioned 1000 km range so when you posted  My car travels on fresh air and… sunshine lol. that implies you car as a range of  1000km on fresh air and sunshine and we all know that is false

Actually, the post I replied to was the one about the capacity of the fuel tank:

7 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I think I got the 65 litre figure from either Toyota's website or a brochure but at least one time a fuel station recorded a higher figure when filling up.  I assumed the fuel metering was suspect but maybe your 76 litre figure is right.

In the jungle stated that he could travel 1,000 km on 76 litres of fuel. 76 litres of fuel at current prices (30.44 baht per litre I believe) would cost Thb 2,313.44, I generously reduced this to Thb 2,300. I then merely expressed my amazement at how much it costs to travel 1,000 km in a fuel efficient ICEV. I did not mention anything about range.

Your interpretation of my implications are wrong as is your assertion that I expressly tried to provide false information. To the best my knowledge, I have not made any false or misleading claims about EVs. If you can provide any such instances, I would gladly issue an apology and retraction 😇

9 minutes ago, sputnik22k said:

Hi all, so I'm picking up model Y in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone had managed to get a TOU meter installed in Bangkok? I see a lot of people posted about it on PEA but not on MEA.

Any experience would be highly appreciated.

Yes, it’s possible. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Actually, the post I replied to was the one about the capacity of the fuel tank:

In the jungle stated that he could travel 1,000 km on 76 litres of fuel. 76 litres of fuel at current prices (30.44 baht per litre I believe) would cost Thb 2,313.44, I generously reduced this to Thb 2,300. I then merely expressed my amazement at how much it costs to travel 1,000 km in a fuel efficient ICEV. I did not mention anything about range.

Your interpretation of my implications are wrong as is your assertion that I expressly tried to provide false information. To the best my knowledge, I have not made any false or misleading claims about EVs. If you can provide any such instances, I would gladly issue an apology and retraction 😇

So I can save money by buying a new car? 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So I can save money by buying a new car? 

I know you’re not that dumb. No one can be. Or can they?

But yes. If you’re in the market for a new car, you can definitely save money by buying an EV over an ICEV depending on your circumstances 

52 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Thank you.

I don't own an EV, I own petrol cars. And, seriously, I think maybe you should get your ears checked if you think any diesel is as "quiet as a mouse". Maybe in your head it is, but not in the real world.

In addition to what I posted earlier, two of my immediate neighbours own fairly new BMW 5-series diesels. I can hear them from inside my house whenever they rattle past.

What a fibber, try inside the cars............😂

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

You are ignoring everything I say. I'll help you - just look for the big words in bold.  I test drove a C300 diesel. I was very much inside the car when I did that. I have been a passenger in diesel S Class Mercs and 7 series BMWs. Again, I was inside the car on each occasion.

I have a pair of ears that are attached to my head. The cars are not "quiet as a mouse". They are just quieter than diesels used to be. The Merc C300 was so unpleasant I immediately cancelled my order - I couldn't live with it on a day to day basis, plus it was completely soulless with its rattly 4,500 rpm red line.

An hour ago I drove a brand new Ford Everest Titanium - it belongs to a friend. My God it is awful and noisy, inside and out.

You have just wasted your time writing that, but I agree that the Ford pickup diesel  engines are noisy, waaaaaay more than a Merc, Jag or BMW saloon car diesel...🤗 engines.

• Confused 1

Just got this text from BYD (my translation from the Thai):

"This Songkran BYD asks to be part of your travels by bringing EV charging at a special price of THB 4/unit starting from 1800 on 11 April until 0800 on 22 April at Rever chargers nationwide. See more at https://www.reverautomotive.com"

สงกรานต์นี้ BYD ขอเป็นส่วนหนึ่งในการเดินทางของคุณ ร่วมเติมไฟให้การชาร์จ EV ราคาพิเศษ 4 บาท/หน่วย เริ่ม 11 เม.ย. 67 เวลา 18.00 ถึง 22 เม.ย. 67 เวลา 08.00 ที่เรเว่ชาร์จเจอร์ทั่วประเทศ ดูเพิ่มเติมที่ https://www.reverautomotive.com

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, marino28 said:

One important consideration when buying a car is also the price you can get when you resell it.

A 10-year-old pickup still has a decent resale value.

An electric car, considering the degradation of the battery and the rapid advancement in technology, will probably be worth close to 0. 

P.S. I am not against electric cars and plan to buy one myself in the future as a second car, but math is math.

I think it will depend on the SoH (State of Health) of the battery, I think it will be necessary to visit the dealer and have them plug in their doobery and tell you what it is.

I think it's going to be like the difference between low and high mileage cars.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Just got this text from BYD (my translation from the Thai):

"This Songkran BYD asks to be part of your travels by bringing EV charging at a special price of THB 4/unit starting from 1800 on 11 April until 0800 on 22 April at Rever chargers nationwide. See more at https://www.reverautomotive.com"

สงกรานต์นี้ BYD ขอเป็นส่วนหนึ่งในการเดินทางของคุณ ร่วมเติมไฟให้การชาร์จ EV ราคาพิเศษ 4 บาท/หน่วย เริ่ม 11 เม.ย. 67 เวลา 18.00 ถึง 22 เม.ย. 67 เวลา 08.00 ที่เรเว่ชาร์จเจอร์ทั่วประเทศ ดูเพิ่มเติมที่ https://www.reverautomotive.com

What is happening here?

Is BYD subsidizing electricity and if so why? What is in it for BYD to hand cash back to existing customers?

Bundle "free" electricity as a sale promotion on a new car makes sense, but not after the deal is done.

I don't recall BMW ever gave me a jerrycan full of fuel!!!

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think it will depend on the SoH (State of Health) of the battery, I think it will be necessary to visit the dealer and have them plug in their doobery and tell you what it is.

I think it's going to be like the difference between low and high mileage cars.

My ageing iPhone 6 Plus says battery is 100%.....🤭

A 10 year old EV car, got to be daft paying the same as a 10 year old ICE car........

I have no doubt they will be worthless unless manufacturers come up with an incentive to exchange. Though in the future, they must develope/design cassette type replacement batteries at a reasonable price, see what happens..🤨

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What is happening here?

Is BYD subsidizing electricity and if so why? What is in it for BYD to hand cash back to existing customers?

Bundle "free" electricity as a sale promotion on a new car makes sense, but not after the deal is done.

I don't recall BMW ever gave me a jerrycan full of fuel!!!

Drop in sales, fields of unsold cars. I read VW is in trouble with EV's, folk turning back to ICE, must be a reason....🤒

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Drop in sales, fields of unsold cars. I read VW is in trouble with EV's, folk turning back to ICE, must be a reason....🤒

same reason the motorways are free - it's called marketing

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spellong

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

A 10 year old ICE car will probably have lost some power, sometimes a lot of power.  A 10 year old EV may still have a Battery SoH of 95% giving it a good value or 70% giving it a poor value.

I sold my Toyota diesel 3.0 4x4 Auto at 11.5 years old, still went like rocket and didn't burn oil. The buyer still has it, now 17 years old, he keeps in touch. 

My d-in-law just sold a Honda Jazz, I think that was 17 years old, same story. Her dad has a Mitsu Spacewagon, I think that is 12 years old and still going strong.

My thoughts are a 10 year old EV battery could fail at any time, it is fact that EV batteries do fail, businesses have started up to replace them. It would be a risky purchase, unless giveaway price...🤗

12 minutes ago, transam said:

My thoughts are a 10 year old EV battery could fail at any time, it is fact that EV batteries do fail, businesses have started up to replace them. It would be a risky purchase, unless giveaway price...🤗

It happens very rarely.

ICE always fail, they have 100 times more moving parts.

Do you think a replacement battery in 10 years will be expensive? I don't think it's likely until 20 years, but that's just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

A 10 year old ICE car will probably have lost some power, sometimes a lot of power.  A 10 year old EV may still have a Battery SoH of 95% giving it a good value or 70% giving it a poor value.

Haval (per the salesman at the auto show) said the battery warranty was 8 years, 70% and (I think) 150,000km

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Haval (per the salesman at the auto show) said the battery warranty was 8 years, 70% and (I think) 150,000km

Unheard of for an ICE car to have a warranty that long.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

It happens very rarely.

ICE always fail, they have 100 times more moving parts.

Do you think a replacement battery in 10 years will be expensive? I don't think it's likely until 20 years, but that's just my opinion.

Everything mechanical has moving parts, even an EV, did you forget....😉

ICE engines can be reconditioned, I have done many....

My friend has a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda 360ci (5.8), I rebuilt the engine for him, he's just moved down to Cornwall, he drove it there from London, he said it drove like a dream, I said the engine rebuild was OK then, he said, you rebuilt it 20 years ago........I said, blimey, time fly's......🤗