Electric Vehicles in Thailand

16 minutes ago, matchar said:

ICE cars are more likely to catch fire while the engine is running but at least you don't have to worry about them catching fire while parked overnight.

https://www.dw.com/en/south-koreans-hit-the-brakes-on-evs-after-battery-fires/a-69978616

Actually, they do catch fire when parked.

Typically, electrical fires trigger them.

• Agree 2

On 9/16/2024 at 3:39 PM, DavisH said:

Because that is my requirement. 300-400K just doesn't cut it. Heck, my crv has an 800km+ range and usually refill at 600-700K. Why settle for a pathetic 300+K. EV's are supposed to be better right? So why settle for less?

On 9/16/2024 at 3:42 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Are you saying you drive 600-700k without a break?  Or are you saying you make journeys every day but only go to the dino juice store every 600-700k?

@DavisH I'm still waiting for your answer

42 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

“A new survey conducted by YouGov has showed that belief in EV myths is holding back adoption, with most petrol car drivers scoring just a 2/10 in a quiz about how electric cars work.

Out of the petrol drivers surveyed, a majority of them, 57%, were only able to answer 2 out of 10 questions correctly, and 90% got less than half correct”

https://electrek.co/2024/09/04/ignorance-of-how-evs-work-is-holding-back-uptake-says-survey/

Far more intelligent than the trolls on AN ... :cheesy:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I created this discussion to help those who were considering buying an EV in Thailand but still had concerns and questions. I hoped that those of us who already owned EVs here would be able to answer questions about the reality of owning an EV in Thailand.  

Instead this discussion has turned into a battle. I still don’t understand why people with no interest in buying an EV spend so much time and effort trying to convince those of who own EVs that every we say about EVs is wrong.

I think maybe the problem is that for some people the less they actually know about a subject the more of an expert they think they are. As Aristotle famously wrote, "The more you know, the more you realize you don't know." 

“A new survey conducted by YouGov has showed that belief in EV myths is holding back adoption, with most petrol car drivers scoring just a 2/10 in a quiz about how electric cars work.

The survey found that misinformation is alive and well and particularly among drivers who haven’t driven an EV.

Out of the petrol drivers surveyed, a majority of them, 57%, were only able to answer 2 out of 10 questions correctly, and 90% got less than half correct”

https://electrek.co/2024/09/04/ignorance-of-how-evs-work-is-holding-back-uptake-says-survey/

The principle you’re referring to is known as psychological reactance. This concept suggests that when people perceive their freedom to choose is being restricted, they are likely to resist and do the opposite of what is being advocated. The more you argue or push someone to change their mind, the more they might dig in their heels and resist.

This principle is widely recognized in psychology and is used to explain why people sometimes react negatively to persuasion attempts. It can be seen in various contexts, such as in marketing, negotiations, and personal relationships.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The principle you’re referring to is known as psychological reactance. This concept suggests that when people perceive their freedom to choose is being restricted, they are likely to resist and do the opposite of what is being advocated. The more you argue or push someone to change their mind, the more they might dig in their heels and resist.

This principle is widely recognized in psychology and is used to explain why people sometimes react negatively to persuasion attempts. It can be seen in various contexts, such as in marketing, negotiations, and personal relationships.

The ten dichotomous questions from said survey are listed below, 1 and 7 received the most desirable response.

UK ECIU SURVEY

1. The total upfront costs for an EV are higher than a petrol car

2. The total lifetime CO2 emissions of an EV (from building, driving and scrapping) are no less than those of a petrol car

3. More natural resources are extracted from the earth to build and fuel an EV than are extracted to build and fuel a petrol car

4. EVs pose a threat to the structural integrity of the UK’s car parks

5. EVs are more likely to catch fire than petrol cars

6. EVs are no better for urban air quality than petrol cars

7. The UK is not on course to install the charging infrastructure it will need to make the transition to EVs

8. EV drivers currently pay more for their insurance than petrol car drivers

9. The UK’s grid will not be able to cope with the extra demand that will be created by the UK’s shift to EVs

10. Switching to EV’s will weaken the UK’s energy independence

5 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

The ten dichotomous questions from said survey are listed below, 1 and 7 received the most desirable response.

UK ECIU SURVEY

1. The total upfront costs for an EV are higher than a petrol car

2. The total lifetime CO2 emissions of an EV (from building, driving and scrapping) are no less than those of a petrol car

3. More natural resources are extracted from the earth to build and fuel an EV than are extracted to build and fuel a petrol car

4. EVs pose a threat to the structural integrity of the UK’s car parks

5. EVs are more likely to catch fire than petrol cars

6. EVs are no better for urban air quality than petrol cars

7. The UK is not on course to install the charging infrastructure it will need to make the transition to EVs

8. EV drivers currently pay more for their insurance than petrol car drivers

9. The UK’s grid will not be able to cope with the extra demand that will be created by the UK’s shift to EVs

10. Switching to EV’s will weaken the UK’s energy independence

Almost a quarter of ICE drivers got none of the answers correct.

• Nearly two-thirds (62%) of petrol drivers believe it’s more expensive to own and run an EV, with only 14% correctly recognising that EVs are typically cheaper. A report from ECIU found that the drivers of the top 10 selling petrol cars of 2023 can find themselves paying a petrol premium of £700 a year in running costs, compared to an equivalent electric car.
  • 41% of petrol drivers incorrectly think that EVs are more likely to catch fire than petrol cars, with only 24% correct in their understanding that they are less likely to catch fire. Evidence from EV Fire Safe indicated that EVs are more than 80 times less likely to catch fire than petrol or diesel cars.
  • More than half (59%) of petrol drivers thought the UK’s electricity grid “will not be able to cope” with the UK’s shift to EVs, whereas only one in five (20%) correctly identified this statement as false. The National Grid has explicitly labelled this a ‘myth’ and is clear that the power system will be able to cope with millions more EVs in the UK.
  • 80% of petrol drivers think the UK is not on course to install the charging infrastructure it needs, despite the country being ahead of schedule to hit its target of 300,000 chargers on the UK’s roads by 2030.
  • More drivers (35%) incorrectly believed that an EV’s lifetime CO2 emissions are no less than those of a petrol car than correctly identified this statement as false (32%). An EV being driven in the UK produces three times less lifetime CO2 emissions that an equivalent petrol or diesel car.

Though there were a few questions that drivers answered right more than they answered wrong:

• 37% recognized that more EVs running on British renewable electricity would make the UK more energy independent than relying on increasing imports of oil and petrol. 29% agreed with the incorrect statement that EVs would weaken the UK’s energy independence.
  • 54% correctly disagreed with the statement that EVs are not better for urban air quality than petrol cars. Only 28% believed this statement to be true.
  • More petrol drivers (39%) correctly disagreed with the statement that EVs pose a threat to the structural integrity of the UK’s car parks than incorrectly agreed with it (33%).
  • Like 1

Gentlemen, I don't know about you, but there are so many news, updates, models, etc. coming out that it's starting to get complicated to follow everything. Not much in Thailand yet, but in China, it's a continuous stream of new models, restyling, etc…

32 minutes ago, marino28 said:

Gentlemen, I don't know about you, but there are so many news, updates, models, etc. coming out that it's starting to get complicated to follow everything. Not much in Thailand yet, but in China, it's a continuous stream of new models, restyling, etc…

Definitely true.

I own a BYD and an MG. Having an extensive dealership network was high up on my criteria list.

IMG_0604.jpeg.cde11f073f537706d75615a514d9bacf.jpeg

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, marino28 said:

But it seems that new models are more high end, suv,.. I would like to see new Neta/Ora competitors 😎

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, khunphil said:

But it seems that new models are more high end, suv,.. I would like to see new Neta/Ora competitors 😎

There a  motorshow in Nov/Dec and another one in March/April most brands will be holding back on announcing models until then

• Thumbs Up 2