Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, Pib said:

From quickly watching the first video I noticed at about the 27:40 point in the video the Seal has a healthy spaceship sound (i.e., the pedestrian & soi dog warning sound).  Gosh, I understand the intent of the sound but both the wife and I find that sound to be annoying. I guess all the BYD models have that sound below 30KmH unless the little sound box behind the radiator gets unplugged not that I would ever do that. 

If the Thai version is the same as the EU version, I will be selecting the "Ice Cream Van" jingle and see how many kiddies come running at the sound 😇

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Don't buy an OBD2 adapter...problem solved.

Only kidding Pib. this is a learning experience for me, as it is for most of us. Don't even know what an OBD2 is. Sounds to me like one of the robots in Star Wars, you know, the mouthy one, si I am defiantly not getting one of those.  😂

Does the Thai version of the Atto 3 have the option to run electric appliances of off it?  I could certainly use that at my farm

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

If the Thai version is the same as the EU version, I will be selecting the "Ice Cream Van" jingle and see how many kiddies come running at the sound 😇

I think I will see if some tape around the speaker to stop it being annoying inside the car, failing that will unplug it.

Recently was in a car park when an Atto 3 was cruising looking for a space, it certainly got some strange looks as the sound is loud outside ( as it should be I suppose ) , I personally don’t need the attention.

I live in a moobahn with a speed limit of 20 km/h and 4 speed bumps to traverse so i would become a local celebrity ……. and not in a good way !!

A selection of normal sounds would have been more accepted I think, just a beeping sound like a reversing truck would make more sense.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

42 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A selection of normal sounds would have been more accepted I think, just a beeping sound like a reversing truck would make more sense.

Or perhaps an option of sounds, Perhaps  the sound of the exhaust of an expensive supercar, ot my personal favorite The Macarena 

You drop below 30 and it starts to play the macarena, it will probably be the only time that the wife would ask me to drive faster, LOL

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think I will see if some tape around the speaker to stop it being annoying inside the car, failing that will unplug it.

Recently was in a car park when an Atto 3 was cruising looking for a space, it certainly got some strange looks as the sound is loud outside ( as it should be I suppose ) , I personally don’t need the attention .

My MG makes a unintrusive sound like a spaceship which is perfectly acceptable to me. Not sure if it's a generated sound or a slight whine from the electric motor, but ice cream van sound  - really

14 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My MG makes a unintrusive sound like a spaceship which is perfectly acceptable to me. Not sure if it's a generated sound or a slight whine from the electric motor, but ice cream van sound  - really

I think there’s 3 options on the Seal, as on the Atto 3, but all weird so i’ll definitely be looking at eliminating or reducing it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, macahoom said:

Just drove my Seal Performance AWD the 15 kms home from the dealership.

My initial impression: Wow! Better than I could have ever imagined. It feels like a million dollars. I’m going to follow BYD’s recommendation and take it easy for the first 2000 kms, so it’ll be a while before I can run it through its paces.

As for the colour: BYD call it Velocity Blue. It’s a bit of a stretch to call it anything blue. I would describe it as a mixture of blue, violet, purple and grey; it changes colour depending on the ambient light. Certainly not flamboyant; quite restrained.

The colour is unusual, for sure. Luckily I like it, as it was not at all what I was expecting.

Great to hear, please keep the reports coming e.g. was there a sun shield for the glass roof?

We paid our deposit for a White Seal Premium on 29th September (The price was announced at 6pm on 28th September) Seem to be plenty of performance models available  - discussed with the wife if we haven't heard anything by the end of this month, we will ask if we get a AWD any quicker 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

was there a sun shield for the glass roof?

Yes, we got the shade for the roof.

But... we were told, although all Seal buyers will receive the shade, they may have to wait for it. We got ours today because I am so handsome and charming.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea...the Atto comes with a vehicle-to-load adapter which takes battery voltage and converts it to 220V to power your TV, fan, laser cannon, etc., during picnics.  I doubt I will ever use it unless there is an extended power outage for hours and hours (extremely rare for me here in Bangkok) and I need to power my refrigerators, fans, recharge the smartphones, recharge some battery lanterns, etc.  But it feels good I have a BIG battery setting in my carport to power some stuff in my home if needed during an emergency....hope I never have to use it.

image.png.abf7e3eec0dafc850f604cc7d11f3db8.png

I used ours once, but just as a tester, to make sure it works.   I travel with water kettle, coffee & cups, and still yet to bust it out at a viewpoint.

Can only see me using it if I run across someone on an E-MB that misjudged their range.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Now, 137.6Km divided by the 26% charge used equals 5.2923 Km for each 1% charge used.  If multiplying 5.2923 by 100 (for 100% charge) that gives a range of 529Km vs the Atto's advertised 480Km NEDC range. HOWEVER, BUT such a calculation assumes the Km per each 1% power used would be linear from 0 to 100% which is unlikely.  But it does gives me a warm-fuzzy indication that after more driving the car's real world range should be at around 400Km....if more--great....will have to wait and see over the coming months.

If you are using the standard range guesstimate ( based on NEDC ) it is indeed not linear and will recalculate itself as it gets down to the lower percentages to achieve the 480 km per 100% charge which has caught some drivers out in the past as their remaining range disappeared quickly from 10% or so. ( obviously not a good idea to let it get so low unless you are doing it for cell balancing purposes as recommended ).

The dynamic option will give you a more accurate idea of what your range is based on your driving habits and after a few recharges you can determine your average range available.

Or maybe somewhere in the data screens there is a running total of your km/kWh ??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea...the Atto comes with a vehicle-to-load adapter which takes battery voltage and converts it to 220V to power your TV, fan, laser cannon, etc., during picnics.  I doubt I will ever use it unless there is an extended power outage for hours and hours (extremely rare for me here in Bangkok) and I need to power my refrigerators, fans, recharge the smartphones, recharge some battery lanterns, etc.  But it feels good I have a BIG battery setting in my carport to power some stuff in my home if needed during an emergency....hope I never have to use it.

image.png.abf7e3eec0dafc850f604cc7d11f3db8.png

Good to know. It is always good to have that option, 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pib said:

The voice command system (a.k.a., Hi BYD) really works great and greatly reduces the need to actually tap the screen to change some setting, switch to different functions/apps, etc.  

Thanks for the update  - please keep them coming 

Any chance we could compile a list of Hi (Hey) BYD phrases that BYDs recognise (Increase the regeneration level - doesn't seem to work)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I find the MG ZS to be extremely accurate in it's countdown of kms remaining.  Average about 3+ per !%.   New, NEDC is 403, and not going to get that.  ECO mode is 360, and that's more like it for local driving.  50.3kWh/46.3 usable battery.

That's 400 (NEDC) & 357 (ECO  mode) now, strangely, 3 kms less off both.  So less than 1% battery segregation after 1 yr.  Probably the high side of 357, as was 358 last week, and noticed 357 yesterday.

Same with the gauge stating kWh per 100 kms, and usually quite accurate once on the road.  Dropping to below 15kWh/100 kms, so 300+ kms per charge on the highway.

WLTP rating (@47 kph) is 320 kms, and that's high side for highway driving 80-100 kph, when cruise control set @ 90 kph and usually average about 80 kph over 3 hr period, then look for CS.  

Don't go below 20% usually, so not sure how accurate it stays below 20%.  

This morning after the granny charger got the Atto Extended Range back to 100% charge when setting the range setting to Dynamic the range displayed 503Km...and when switching to Standard it displayed the 480Km NEDC rating.  Will be interesting over time as the battery ages and I drive more to see how these two range display settings change.    The standard setting will probably continue to display 480Km when at 100% charge but I expect the Dynamic may change significantly from battery aging, driving habits, etc....but I'm just guessing right now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I used ours once, but just as a tester, to make sure it works.   I travel with water kettle, coffee & cups, and still yet to bust it out at a viewpoint.

Can only see me using it if I run across someone on an E-MB that misjudged their range.  

I took my V2L thingie out of it's plastic bag today to see if it works....plugged it into the car and then plugged a hand grinder into it...the grinder powered-up full strength.  Back into it's little plastic bag it goes.  Then with me-being-me about a half hour later I think I wish I had also checked the voltage level.  So, out of the bag the V2L thingie comes again, plugged into the car, and I do an unloaded voltage check with my pretty accurate digital voltmeter (+/-0.5% DC/AC) and it gives a voltage reading of 219.3VAC....pretty much a double bullseye in terms of voltage level output.  Back into the bag the V2L adapter goes to hibernate awaiting for some emergency.  

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

This morning after the granny charger got the Atto Extended Range back to 100% charge when setting the range setting to Dynamic the range displayed 503Km...and when switching to Standard it displayed the 480Km NEDC rating.  Will be interesting over time as the battery ages and I drive more to see how these two range display settings change.    The standard setting will probably continue to display 480Km when at 100% charge but I expect the Dynamic may change significantly from battery aging, driving habits, etc....but I'm just guessing right now.

I was actually surprised the NEDC 403 range rating changed, as I was thinking that was 'hard coded' in, but apparently not.  As rare anyone would actually get that, and the only time it shows up, is end of charging & start up, as default setting screenshot.   Once I change the mode from default normal, to eco, it never shows again.  Only while charging, again, if nothing else is touched.

As time goes on, and with age/segregation, it will be easy for folks to judge battery capacity, for the 2nd hand market when shopping.  No real need for a certified battery capacity test when selling, as that would take forever with a 50kWh battery bank.

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thanks for the update  - please keep them coming 

Any chance we could compile a list of Hi (Hey) BYD phrases that BYDs recognise (Increase the regeneration level - doesn't seem to work)

I can tell you one Voice Command that don't work as I tried it numerous times yesterday when the wife and I went on our long drive...and that ignored command is:  "make my wife stop her back seat driving."  😁

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

I can tell you one Voice Command that don't work as I tried it numerous times yesterday when the wife and I went on our long drive...and that ignored command is:  "make my wife stop her back seat driving."  😁

You need to deinstall the Nagivation option.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1