Electric Vehicles in Thailand

17 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I picked-up my performance model on October 3. 579 km driven so far, tomorrow will be the first trip to BKK - we will see which side he consumption surprise will fall.

Some day soon I will make a little write up on to good, the bad and the ugly of Seal ownership - suffice to say I have no regrets, but there are as always some disappointments.

I have a specific question: what's the sound system like? I don't see any info on it on their site but a good premium sound system is a big factor in my buying decision. I'm going to go to see the Seal this weekend but any first hand experience or review would be cool.

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I have a specific question: what's the sound system like? I don't see any info on it on their site but a good premium sound system is a big factor in my buying decision. I'm going to go to see the Seal this weekend but any first hand experience or review would be cool.

The seal has an excellent DynAudio sound system

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The seal has an excellent DynAudio sound system

Thanks for that. Searching for Seal DynAudio I see it has a 12 speaker, 775W system. Nice. The ex30 has a 9 speaker (including sound bar) 1040W output with a subwoofer. I do love the set up of the Harmon Kardon system in my XC40, although not quite as crisp as the Mark Levinson system in my last car - that was truly awesome.

But a 12 speaker DynAudio set up does sound great (no pun intended). Hopefully they'll let me blast it this weekend.

• Like 1

Need a little assistance here from anyone who has installed a wall charger recently ( preferably a BYD ).

My set up will be a TOU meter and good old fashioned electricity.

Visited PEA Authority to present docs ( tabian bahn, charger and car specs ) and received a job number to contact them after wall charger and associated parts ( breaker, earth rod etc ) have been completed.

PEA will inspect installation to then return to fit TOU meter.

My questions are :

1) What does BYD supply ( I suspect charger and 40A breaker only ).

2) What do the BYD installation crew actually install as I have read for a nominal fee (9k) they complete installation ??, also installation can be outsourced for around 20k ?

3) When charger installation finished and PEA return to fit TOU meter do they make the cabling from meter to distribution box or should that be readily available from charger install.

( seen 15m cable is free and any longer is charged but don’t know who’s responsibility this falls under )

Apologies for the noobie questions but the showroom guy seemed very vague and told us to get TOU meter first, PEA guy stated the opposite.

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I saw a new Bz4x in Chiang Mai yesterday, I can’t imagine anyone buying that either.

(I think that’s what they call it)

You did that on purpose.  you know it’s called the bZ4X 

Toyota get very upset when you get the name wrong 

41 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

1) What does BYD supply ( I suspect charger and 40A breaker only ).

MG supplied just the wall charger. The installer supplied the breaker box and cables back to my closest consumer unit in my mech room

2) What do the BYD installation crew actually install as I have read for a nominal fee (9k) they complete installation ??, also installation can be outsourced for around 20k ?

Usually 15m of cable back to a source of electricity consumer unit for me - TOU meter for you. You pay extra for longer cable or different spec. The installer will come and do a site survey before the installation 

IMG_2331.thumb.jpeg.1365daf34559a8d7bb71c4e406e07559.jpeg

3) When charger installation finished and PEA return to fit TOU meter do they make the cabling from meter to distribution box or should that be readily available from charger install.

( seen 15m cable is free and any longer is charged but don’t know who’s responsibility this falls under )

You are responsible for cable from the meter to the house. Maybe the BYD installer could do it or you could get an electrician to run cable from a small consumer unit via a breaker to the post where the meter will be installed and PEA will attach it to their meter.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

you could get an electrician to run cable from a small consumer unit via a breaker to the post where the meter will be installed and PEA will attach it to their meter

@Andrew Dwyer 

Have you checked with your local PEA office that they will allow you to have a second meter as a TOU? 

Edited by Bandersnatch

58 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

@Andrew Dwyer 

Have you checked with your local PEA office that they will allow you to have a second meter as a TOU? 

Yes, went to local PEA head office today and they okayed the installation but wanted to see the booking contract along with some other docs.

Have a job number to quote when the charger install is complete.

He said they would come check installation first and if okay would install TOU 2 to 4 weeks after.

Gonna drag on a while and no way to get a head start .

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:55 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Honda  e:Ny1 (Stupid Name) (Lowercase e colon Capital N Lowercase y) much like the Toyota bZ4X (Lowercase b Capital Z Capital X)

£44,100 (฿1,948,925)  to £47,195 (฿2,085,452) Actual price in Thailand not yet released

Based on the HRV platform 

No Durian storage (Frunk) 

78kW charging 🤣

0-62 mph: 7.6 seconds

62kWh Lithium-ion Battery usable

Honda WTF Were You Thinking?! - great title to the video

@josephbloggs This my thoughts 

23 hours ago, motdaeng said:

if you would like to have some basic knowledge about the byd seal,

have take a look at these videos (available only in thai):

https://youtu.be/yGtAORSKVjQ?si=EcimcGwKFeCdJNcg

https://youtu.be/6hvm9vbKuqw?si=0teSB5PKrlXVjlU7

Sorry for delay in responding, but needed to book an appointment with Mrs Bander to watch together. Excellent videos thanks for posting 🙏

• Thumbs Up 1

From quickly watching the first video I noticed at about the 27:40 point in the video the Seal has a healthy spaceship sound (i.e., the pedestrian & soi dog warning sound).  Gosh, I understand the intent of the sound but both the wife and I find that sound to be annoying. I guess all the BYD models have that sound below 30KmH unless the little sound box behind the radiator gets unplugged not that I would ever do that. 

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

From quickly watching the first video I noticed at about the 27:40 point in the video the Seal has a healthy spaceship sound (i.e., the pedestrian & soi dog warning sound).  Gosh, I understand the intent of the sound but both the wife and I find that sound to be annoying. I guess all the BYD models have that sound below 30KmH unless the little sound box behind the radiator gets unplugged not that I would ever do that. 

This is just a device to transfer liability from the manufacturer to the consumer. 

Remember , lawyers alway go for the deepest pockets but If someone is hit by a BYD EV and the lawyers go after BYD they can say that they installed a warning device but  the consumer disabled it. 

I wonder if Insurance companies can use this as an excuse not to pay also. 

Edited by sirineou

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

“ the impact made the cable unplug itself your Honour “

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Here's my quick review.  I got the Atto yesterday afternoon.  This morning I plugged in the above approx 50 baht OBD2 adapter I got off Lazada and it worked fine...started showing all kinds of data...way too much for me to grasp at this time.   Was was using the Android app "Car Scanner ELM OBD2" free version...and Pro version is also available for around $5.   

I literally only played with it for a a couple of minutes just to see if it works.  Below the Google Play snapshot below I added 3 snapshots I took while using the app.  I then turned the car off and  unplugged the adapter as I don't have time today to play seriously with it...learn the app...get the app fine tuned for my use like setting up a dashboard of measurements I want to see versus the many, many possible measurements available.   

Summary: this particular 50 to 60 baht OBD2 adapter being sold all over Lazada, Shopee, and other online sites seems to work just fine.  Sure beats playing thousands of baht for some supposedly brand name adapter.

Snapshot from Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner&hl=en&gl=US

image.png.87c021acf9c31aad5cc56cb5d18e54bd.png

Some snapshots I took on my phone when using the OBD2 adapter using above free app...I was just setting in the driveway parked with the car turned on....having used the adapter and app for the first time...totally unfamiliar with the app right now....like a kid learning to ride a bicycle. 

image.png.d65cb9237e284e86e43f2d8ef2ed0899.png

image.png.82b1d4a1c8c1d77c6d60bf433308a17b.png

image.png.b0bc5ba853938a1bdf9c644ce99e6dbe.png

How many people do you think the above graphics dissuaded from buying an electric car? LOL

It all looks like Greek to me and is speak Greek🤣   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

How many people do you think the above graphics dissuaded from buying an electric car? LOL

It all looks like Greek to me and is speak Greek🤣   

Don't buy an OBD2 adapter...problem solved.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

Here's my quick review.  I got the Atto yesterday afternoon.  This morning I plugged in the above approx 50 baht OBD2 adapter I got off Lazada and it worked fine...started showing all kinds of data...way too much for me to grasp at this time.   Was was using the Android app "Car Scanner ELM OBD2" free version...and Pro version is also available for around $5.   

I literally only played with it for a a couple of minutes just to see if it works.  Below the Google Play snapshot below I added 3 snapshots I took while using the app.  I then turned the car off and  unplugged the adapter as I don't have time today to play seriously with it...learn the app...get the app fine tuned for my use like setting up a dashboard of measurements I want to see versus the many, many possible measurements available.   

Summary: this particular 50 to 60 baht OBD2 adapter being sold all over Lazada, Shopee, and other online sites seems to work just fine.  Sure beats playing thousands of baht for some supposedly brand name adapter.

Snapshot from Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner&hl=en&gl=US

image.png.87c021acf9c31aad5cc56cb5d18e54bd.png

Some snapshots I took on my phone when using the OBD2 adapter using above free app...I was just setting in the driveway parked with the car turned on....having used the adapter and app for the first time...totally unfamiliar with the app right now....like a kid learning to ride a bicycle. 

image.png.d65cb9237e284e86e43f2d8ef2ed0899.png

image.png.82b1d4a1c8c1d77c6d60bf433308a17b.png

image.png.b0bc5ba853938a1bdf9c644ce99e6dbe.png

Bjørn Nyland ( YouTube ) must use a similar set up as he regularly shows it on his 1000km runs.

For the price it is worth it for the battery temp alone.

• Thumbs Up 1