Electric Vehicles in Thailand

47 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Previously, I never came across price reductions except when dealers are making for new models. The EV industry is newish, dealers are maybe trying new tactics. I still think they are seeing the market prefers bigger battery packs and the smaller ones are not moving out the door as quickly so maybe they are trying to rebalance their stocks.

If you notice, MG’s reductions are only for the smaller packs. Similarly for the Seal.

So, you did not get subsidies? 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, you did not get subsidies? 

We all got the subsidies I think, the issue is manufacturers dropping the price after purchase, what none of us got was price protection.

• Agree 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

We all got the subsidies I think, the issue is manufacturers dropping the price after purchase, what none of us got was price protection.

The price reduction probably just reflects what you actually paid. No one want to pay 1M for something everyone else paid 900K for. 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

EV registrations in Thailand December 2023 total 9,258 cars. Breaking the highest record!

25.34% of all cars 

BYD Dolphin Reigning Champion followed by NETA V then BYD Seal

IMG_3174.jpeg.71012c94613f7d050b49ddb98440f60b.jpeg

I see lots of those BYD Dolphins around.

Edited by shdmn

Since the BYD Dolphin has been selling like hotcakes since it release in late July 2023 and by Oct 2023 it began stealing a lot of sales from it's big brother the BYD Atto. 

Maybe BYD decided the Dolphin price and extra free stuff (like 2 vs 1 yr insurance, free install of a wallcharger, free maintenance checks) was stealing too much from the Atto sales where the Atto may be providing more profit than Dolphin sales.  BYD just trying to rebalance where it would like to see more sales.....steer more sales back to the Atto.  And/or maybe BYD figures the Dolphin will continue to sell like hotcakes with less freebies.  Who knows....I'm just guessing.

But up until late July and Oct 2023 when the BYD Dolphin and BYD Seal started being sold in Thailand the Atto was pretty much the only BYD model that people had to choose from/was interested in....and it sold like hotcakes like the Dolphin is selling right now..  But now with more BYD models to chose from, the Atto  probably will not recover to its previous sales volume of around 2000 per month like in early 2023....probably start floating around a 1000 per month.

image.png.d2a7f8092260623b9e9d1d4942a2a2d3.png

Edited by Pib

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Legacy makers are in trouble, they can't match the prices, quality, or service of the Chinese brands it seems. The industry has never seen disruption like this.

Agree completely.   

First few months of owning our MG ZS (ICE), the wife was toying with the iSmart app, and apparently left something on.   As next morning I go out to start the ZS, and dead.  Rung up MG, not local, as bought from Hua Hin / 100 kms away, and straight away they sent someone out, apparently locally contracted, and simply gave the battery a jump.  No charge of course...THANKS.

Pretty sure that wouldn't have happened with our Toyota or Mazda that we owned.  Any wonder why when it came time to upgrade to an EV, we stuck with MG, again buying from Hua Hin, but now have one of the larger dealer/workshops, locally, a few kms away.   

BYD & GWM were just getting established, with no real network of dealers yet, when we bought in to EV, though probably would have stuck with the ZS over the Atto 3 anyway.  Not really a sedan fan, and only other option at the time.

11 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Oops, I had a MAJOR problem with my PHEV last night. I went to take something from my car and my electric tailgate did not work. Strange, I thought. Tried to start it and nada, dead as a door nail. Turned out that my 12 volt battery has died. Called my sales rep. This was about 10pm. She said no worries, they will send out someone in the morning to jumpstart the car.

So this morning, at about half nine, someone came out to jumpstart the car. I then drove it to the dealer and they replaced the dead battery with a new one. Done and dusted in about 20 minutes.

This is wonderful news for anti EVers and China haters of course but I was wondering, if I had a similar problem with a Honda or Toyota, would I have received the same level of service?

As I have more than 1 vehicle, I was not particularly concerned.

Preaching to the choir I know and just for others trying to get smart on EVs, that 12V battery in the EV is extremely important to the EVs operation.   See partial quote and weblink at bottom for more details.

And a dead/flat 12V battery is a common cause of EVs not starting; just like it's a common cause for an ICE vehicle not starting.  Usually the "not starting" just happens out of the blue while you are away from home, the morning start at your home or hotel as the battery went flat overnight, etc.  

I carry jumper cables in my BYD Atto EV "just in case" I ever need to jump my EV's 12V battery while I'm away from home; Ialso carry a pair in my Toyota Fortuner ICEV.  I have always carried jumper cables in my vehicles since owning my first car a thousand years ago.   And those jumper cables have also come to the rescue of others a few times where I have jumped the dead/weak 12V battery of another vehicle.

A few weeks ago I had the 3 month/5,000km checkup of my Atto EV at my BYD dealership....one of the things they test is the 12 volt battery with a battery tester and they show you the printout of the battery's capacity, resistance, voltage, etc., and the result of Good/Pass. 

I also have a 12V vehicle battery tester (bought off Lazada for several hundred baht) as I occasionally check my 12V vehicle batteries especially after they get more than a year old.  Normally a good quality 12V lead acid battery that is used to start small petrol engine like in many compact cars (ie.. Toyota Yaris) where the starter amperage drawn is not that great will last years and years (at least 3 years but easily 5 or more years in some cases) even in hot weather of  Thailand/the tropics.  And a 12V battery on an EV which doesn't even have a starter should also last years and years since there is no heavy drawn of current at any time.   But a 12V battery used to start a big and/or high compression engine like a diesel engine found in many, many trucks and passengers cars (like my Toyota Fortuner 3.0L Diesel) typically only last a couple of years (or less).  My 2009 Fortuner has went thru at least six 12V batteries over it lifetime (brand name foreign and Thailand made batteries).  I've never got one to last longer than 3 years...usually around the 2 year point they start failing, getting too weak, and a few times simply didn't start the vehicle in the morning.  That was my primary reason of buying the battery tester so when the Toyota Fortuner 12V battery started getting indications it was reaching the end of it's life/getting weak, I would use the battery tester on it to get a better idea of how much "capacity" it had remaining which gave a good indication of how many more months it would probably last. 

Yea...the ol' 12V battery in an EV "or ICEV" is still a primary reason the vehicle will not starting.

https://community.vinfastauto.us/battery/why-do-electric-cars-have-a-12v-battery/#:~:text=First and foremost%2C it powers,onboard computer and diagnostic systems.

https://community.vinfastauto.us/battery/why-do-electric-cars-have-a-12v-battery/#:~:text=First and foremost%2C it powers,onboard computer and diagnostic systems.What Does the 12-volt Battery Do in an EV?

In an EV, the 12-volt battery serves several important functions. First and foremost, it powers the vehicle’s electrical systems when the car is not in use. This includes the central locking system, alarm, and other security features.

The 12-volt battery also powers the vehicle’s onboard computer and diagnostic systems. It also plays a role in starting the main high-voltage battery pack, which is responsible for powering the electric motor and moving the vehicle.

Another important function of the 12-volt battery is to act as a buffer for the main high-voltage battery pack. It helps to smooth out any fluctuations in the high-voltage battery’s output, ensuring a steady supply of electricity to the vehicle’s electrical systems.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

The battery in my 'tuna lasts about two years.  Toyota comes out and jumps you free during the warranty period. The battery itself is prorated. 

If you are a B-Quik customer, they come out and jump and check the battery for free, and if you need a new battery, they'll deliver it free. 

I just bought a new battery in November, and I bought this and will try using it every six months to see if I get more life, or in the event I wake up with a dead battery. 

NOCO.thumb.png.88654a38886465917f8b07312f3a5067.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

NOCO.thumb.png.88654a38886465917f8b07312f3a5067.png

"◉ Life and Kustom ◉ Official distributor in Thailand Be assured that customers will receive 100% genuine products, smart battery chargers." 

NOCO GENIUS @ Shopee ฿3,525

Edited by KhunLA

44 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"◉ Life and Kustom ◉ Official distributor in Thailand Be assured that customers will receive 100% genuine products, smart battery chargers." 

NOCO GENIUS @ Shopee ฿3,525

Wow, that's pretty strong for the 2 amp. 

My total for the 10 amp was $97.84 delivered, or about B3,437 at today's rate. 

Here's what they get for the one I got: 

NOCO02.png.f7a597e575069ffeb6f9e8e893ca95a3.png

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Preaching to the choir I know and just for others trying to get smart on EVs, that 12V battery in the EV is extremely important to the EVs operation.   See partial quote and weblink at bottom for more details.

And a dead/flat 12V battery is a common cause of EVs not starting; just like it's a common cause for an ICE vehicle not starting.  Usually the "not starting" just happens out of the blue while you are away from home, the morning start at your home or hotel as the battery went flat overnight, etc.  

I carry jumper cables in my BYD Atto EV "just in case" I ever need to jump my EV's 12V battery while I'm away from home; Ialso carry a pair in my Toyota Fortuner ICEV.  I have always carried jumper cables in my vehicles since owning my first car a thousand years ago.   And those jumper cables have also come to the rescue of others a few times where I have jumped the dead/weak 12V battery of another vehicle.

A few weeks ago I had the 3 month/5,000km checkup of my Atto EV at my BYD dealership....one of the things they test is the 12 volt battery with a battery tester and they show you the printout of the battery's capacity, resistance, voltage, etc., and the result of Good/Pass. 

I also have a 12V vehicle battery tester (bought off Lazada for several hundred baht) as I occasionally check my 12V vehicle batteries especially after they get more than a year old.  Normally a good quality 12V lead acid battery that is used to start small petrol engine like in many compact cars (ie.. Toyota Yaris) where the starter amperage drawn is not that great will last years and years (at least 3 years but easily 5 or more years in some cases) even in hot weather of  Thailand/the tropics.  And a 12V battery on an EV which doesn't even have a starter should also last years and years since there is no heavy drawn of current at any time.   But a 12V battery used to start a big and/or high compression engine like a diesel engine found in many, many trucks and passengers cars (like my Toyota Fortuner 3.0L Diesel) typically only last a couple of years (or less).  My 2009 Fortuner has went thru at least six 12V batteries over it lifetime (brand name foreign and Thailand made batteries).  I've never got one to last longer than 3 years...usually around the 2 year point they start failing, getting too weak, and a few times simply didn't start the vehicle in the morning.  That was my primary reason of buying the battery tester so when the Toyota Fortuner 12V battery started getting indications it was reaching the end of it's life/getting weak, I would use the battery tester on it to get a better idea of how much "capacity" it had remaining which gave a good indication of how many more months it would probably last. 

Yea...the ol' 12V battery in an EV "or ICEV" is still a primary reason the vehicle will not starting.

https://community.vinfastauto.us/battery/why-do-electric-cars-have-a-12v-battery/#:~:text=First and foremost%2C it powers,onboard computer and diagnostic systems.

I’m thinking of getting one of those monitors the battery and has Bluetooth connectivity to a mobile phone. Something like this. Has anyone tried something similar?

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.OHskZ

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m thinking of getting one of those monitors the battery and has Bluetooth connectivity to a mobile phone. Something like this. Has anyone tried something similar?

Be careful how you wire it or it will be a parasitic load and may cause the thing you are trying to avoid.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

To do a battery State of Health (SOH) check on a 12V battery a person first needs to know the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) or similar rating which identifies the capacity of a new battery.  And batteries come in many physical sizes and capacities...big and small.  That specific capacity rating is entered into the battery tester and then the tester will do some "impedance/resistance" testing of the battery by sending some frequencies/signals into the battery....maybe call it scanning the battery.   The results from that scan are then compared to some internal stored data "based on the CCA rating of a "new" battery and then gives a percentage SOH, Good, Weak, Replace type response.    

If above device does not allow for entry of CCA/similar new battery that actually used in your car then it's just using some generic setting that may not be representative of the "battery you have installed in your car."   Or worst yet, it may not be scanning the battery at all and just using some related info like the battery's voltage level when cranking----but with an EV there is no cranking so the voltage is not pulled down hardly at all when a EV is started.

I would try to find out first if this device does require the entry of some "new" battery capacity info "initially" before it put into use.  Otherwise I think you just have a fancy voltage monitor that will not give much of any advance warning your battery is reaching end of life....has loss a lot of capacity from when it was new.

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

To do a battery State of Health (SOH) check on a 12V battery a person first needs to know the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) or similar rating which identifies the capacity of a new battery.  And batteries come in many physical sizes and capacities...big and small.  That specific capacity rating is entered into the battery tester and then the tester will do some "impedance/resistance" testing of the battery by sending some frequencies/signals into the battery....maybe call it scanning the battery.   The results from that scan are then compared to some internal stored data "based on the CCA rating of a "new" battery and then gives a percentage SOH, Good, Weak, Replace type response.    

If above device does not allow for entry of CCA/similar new battery that actually used in your car then it's just using some generic setting that may not be representative of the "battery you have installed in your car."   Or worst yet, it may not be scanning the battery at all and just using some related info like the battery's voltage level when cranking----but with an EV there is no cranking so the voltage is not pulled down hardly at all when a EV is started.

I would try to find out first if this device does require the entry of some "new" battery capacity info "initially" before it put into use.  Otherwise I think you just have a fancy voltage monitor that will not give much of any advance warning your battery is reaching end of life....has loss a lot of capacity from when it was new.

Update: I went to that manufacturers website to check on the specs of the device....it didn't show the BM200 that I saw anywhere but did show the next model up which was a BM300.  Looking at the specs/manual, it does "not" do impedance/resistance checking of the battery (i.e., scanning) or do you need to enter any new battery capacity info which means it simply monitors voltage levels like when cranking to primarily determine SOH.  Such a method is not a very good method to determine SOH in comparison via impedance/resistance measurement.  And it's a terrible way to determine SOH for a battery that never encounters a heavy load like when cranking....in an EV there is no cranking.

https://anceltech.com/collections/Heavy-Duty-Trucks-Scanner.html

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1