Electric Vehicles in Thailand

I don't own a car at the moment but in the near future planning to buy one.

Definitely EV, currently Ora Good cat is my favourite. But let's see what other cars might be available here within this year. Any sedan or hatchback is welcome. MG5 would be great as EV, love the design.

But at the moment, Good cat has the most driving assist features, good looking and affordable price.

About two wheelers, I would wait until there are Evs from the well-known manufacturers are available. Also, I'd like to make tours with my motorcycle. Currently there are no long range or proper e-motorcycles available here. Also not really see the point for two wheelers being electric. Since changing to 4-stroke engines, the emissions and fuel consumption are neglibible compared to a car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Definitely EV, currently Ora Good cat is my favourite. But let's see what other cars might be available here within this year. Any sedan or hatchback is welcome. MG5 would be great as EV, love the design.

But at the moment, Good cat has the most driving assist features, good looking and affordable price.

About two wheelers, I would wait until there are Evs from the well-known manufacturers are available. Also, I'd like to make tours with my motorcycle. Currently there are no long range or proper e-motorcycles available here. Also not really see the point for two wheelers being electric. Since changing to 4-stroke engines, the emissions and fuel consumption are neglibible compared to a car.

At present, as you probably know, just the MGs, EP Plus & ZS is GWM's Ora Good Cat's competition.  Most others are quite expensive IMHO.

Yea, you won't be going far on any 2 wheel offerings.  DECO, which I own, and 2 other brands are the only ones I know of that can be registered.  May be a couple more, I haven't read about yet.  You'd be hard press to get 75-100 km range out of any of them, and none are able to fast charge, so 2 ish hours if larger battery (50Ah) and at 10%.

At highway speeds, < 50 kms, at the very best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, of particular note:

The exhibition is open to trade and business visitors only.
Minors (<12 years) and the general public will not be permitted entry.

Excuse me, but isn't this the ThaiVisa EV Research Group?   I'm sure I had a business card here somewhere....  ????

GWM are plugging their Haval H6 PHEV with a reported range of 201 km.

Looking at the H6 Hybrid it is certainly a desirable piece of machinery but I don’t see any release date for the PHEV or, more importantly, a price, rumoured to be at least 1.4 million baht.

One to watch if you don’t want to go full EV just yet but appreciate the flexibility that a PHEV offers.

The Hybrid uses a 1.6 kWh battery, the PHEV a 34.6 kWh battery.

Buuut , could be a long wait, due to a battery production supply problem caused by the increased demand of automobile batteries locally ( China ) production of the H6 PHEV has been put on hold indefinitely !!

https://autolifethailand.tv/haval-h6-phev-plug-in-hybrid-postpone-thailand/#

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

GWM are plugging their Haval H6 PHEV with a reported range of 201 km.

Looking at the H6 Hybrid it is certainly a desirable piece of machinery but I don’t see any release date for the PHEV or, more importantly, a price, rumoured to be at least 1.4 million baht.

One to watch if you don’t want to go full EV just yet but appreciate the flexibility that a PHEV offers.

The Hybrid uses a 1.6 kWh battery, the PHEV a 34.6 kWh battery.

Buuut , could be a long wait, due to a battery production supply problem caused by the increased demand of automobile batteries locally ( China ) production of the H6 PHEV has been put on hold indefinitely !!

https://autolifethailand.tv/haval-h6-phev-plug-in-hybrid-postpone-thailand/#

Agreed 34.6 kWh in a PHEV is amazing. The smallest battery of the Nissan Leaf has a total capacity of 40 kWh!

What use is the most beautiful e-car if I can't charge it overnight at home?
Search for charging stations, stand in line or charge at my electricity supplier only 2 km away, but which is closed on weekends, including the charging stations and otherwise only open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ... ;-(

Probably only applies to condo owners in Thailand, like me ;-(
But I want no more house,which is not on my ground!!!
THAT is not worth an E-car to me!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CLW said:

looks like our son is going to buy a good cat ,terrible name though ,anyone know if you live in a detached house ,how do you get a charging point,does it just come from your house supply and plug into the wall of the house?

On 4/22/2022 at 11:40 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Here's a map of charging points for Thailand. I'm not sure what you mean by "national network" but this looks pretty much nationwide to me.

Screenshot_2022_0422_113651.png

It looks nation wide but if you expand it down to province level It is not so good. especially in the rural provinces where the majority of Thais actually live. If I were to buy one with a home charger it would be fine, unless I was running low on charge in Kamphaeng Phet province, where the last time I looked, there were only 6 charging points around the city and no more for the next 60km to get home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

It looks nation wide but if you expand it down to province level It is not so good. especially in the rural provinces where the majority of Thais actually live. If I were to buy one with a home charger it would be fine, unless I was running low on charge in Kamphaeng Phet province, where the last time I looked, there were only 6 charging points around the city and no more for the next 60km to get home.

You say, "unless I was running low on charge in Kamphaeng Phet province, where the last time I looked, there were only 6 charging points around the city".

How many do you need?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

looks like our son is going to buy a good cat ,terrible name though ,anyone know if you live in a detached house ,how do you get a charging point,does it just come from your house supply and plug into the wall of the house?

MGs come with a free wall box and installation, not sure about GWM. In my installation the installer ran a cable from closest fuse box. An alternative is get a second meter installed, last year PEA had an incentive for EV owners of a free install of a second meter. You could then get that one as a Time Of Use and pay 2.6 Baht for overnight 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, macahoom said:

You say, "unless I was running low on charge in Kamphaeng Phet province, where the last time I looked, there were only 6 charging points around the city".

How many do you need?

How many pumps are there in the same area? 

On 4/22/2022 at 11:53 AM, buddy2010 said:

I had been seriously interested in an e-vehicle!

The problem is, for me anyway, that I am not allowed to install a wallbox in my condominium!
Neither in the underground parking nor outside!!!

Argument: Common Area, may not be used privately!

4 hours ago, buddy2010 said:

What use is the most beautiful e-car if I can't charge it overnight at home?
Search for charging stations, stand in line or charge at my electricity supplier only 2 km away, but which is closed on weekends, including the charging stations and otherwise only open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ... ;-(

Probably only applies to condo owners in Thailand, like me ;-(
But I want no more house,which is not on my ground!!!
THAT is not worth an E-car to me!!!

You posted the same thing twice in this thread - not sure why

Most condos built in Thailand do not have allocated parking because there are not enough parking spaces to give a parking space to each condo. However, If your condo does,  you could make a proposal to the management committee to pay for the installation of a wall box in your space and the accompanied meter. The building would probably expect to make a profit on the sale of electricity to you and a monthly admin charge for for meter reading.  

When I was on a management committee we clamped vehicles parked in the wrong place with a fine for release.

4 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Unless your son has his preorder in already, GWM stopped taking reservations for them.

If order placed, then the original promo states it comes with free charger & installation of.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

How many do you need?

I only need one but what happens if my battery runs low and I am 30km from home and 30km from KPP?

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How many pumps are there in the same area? 

About 20 or 30, ranging from full size stations down to mom and pop shops.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I only need one but what happens if my battery runs low and I am 30km from home and 30km from KPP?

I would suggest you tell yourself to never let that happen again 'cause it was pretty stupid.

Edited just now by macahoom

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

MGs come with a free wall box and installation, not sure about GWM. In my installation the installer ran a cable from closest fuse box. An alternative is get a second meter installed, last year PEA had an incentive for EV owners of a free install of a second meter. You could then get that one as a Time Of Use and pay 2.6 Baht for overnight 

looks like he is changing his mind ,fancys the mg  now .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Same thing as happens if you're driving an ICE vehicle and you let it get down to where you only have the same amount of fuel left as you need to get to the nearest filling station, or to get home. Except that with an ICE vehicle you can't drive it home and refill it there (unless you have your own private fuel pump).

But out here in Rural Kamphaeng Phet I am never more than 2 or 3km from any gas pup from a full service station to a mom and pop shop selling the stuff in a bottle.

At this time there are not enough charging stations, certainly in the rural areas to make an EV a better choice than ICE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD Dolphin, a 100% electric car launches in Thailand this year

spacer.png

spacer.png

BYD's investment from China and 4 Thai capital groups totaling 20 billion baht, divided into 2 main parts.

Automobile factory, about 17.3 billion baht

BYD, the parent company, invests 85%

Thai capital group invest 15%

Sales and after-sales service is approximately 2,300 million baht.

Thai capital invested 85%

BYD, the parent company, invests 15%

The first car that BYD Automobile (Thailand) will launch in Thailand at the end of 2022 is the BYD Dolphin (EA1), a 100% electric car that competes with ORA Good Cat. BYD Dolphin is based on the BYD e platform 3.0 electric vehicle.

Dimension  BYD Dolphin

Length 4,150 mm.

Width 1770 mm.

Height 1570 mm.

wheelbase wheelbase 2,700 mm

ORA Good Cat

Length x Width x Height: 4,235 x 1,825 x 1,596 mm.

wheelbase wheelbase 2650 mm

The BYD Dolphin is similar in size to the ORA Good Cat, but is shorter. slightly narrower

spacer.png

spacer.png

Powertrain

Powered by an electric motor, Permanent Magnet Synchonous Motor, maximum power of 177 horsepower, maximum torque of 290 Nm, BYD Blade Battery (LFP), size 44.9 kWh, front-wheel drive, Front-Wheel Drive.

Factory claim numbers

Acceleration 0-100 km/h in 7.9 seconds

Top Speed Top speed 160 km/h

Running distance up to 405 km. (NEDC standard)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Charging

Support charging 800 Volt Technology

AC alternating current supports up to 7 kW, takes 0-100% in 6 hours and 25 minutes.

DC Fast Charging supports up to 60 kW from 30-80% in 30 minutes.

BYD Dolphin prices after government discounts Expected to start at over 700,000 baht, cheaper than the ORA Good Cat 400 Pro model

Only a few high end EV's currently can be charged via 800 volt chargers. I don't think Tesla is one of them. So fast charging should be a lot quicker.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

No wonder big oil is sh*ttin' themselves and doing everything they can to derail things.

What is big oil doin to derail things? 

They'll still be providing the power to charge the EVs, so I doubt they're too concerned. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

What is big oil doin to derail things? 

They'll still be providing the power to charge the EVs, so I doubt they're too concerned. 

Watch the movie "Who killed the electric car" and if that doesn't answer your query, then no sense continuing a conversation here.  Prefer to keep this thread on topic.

Surely a controversial topic, so feel free to start a new thread if wishing to discuss.  Something like "Big Oil influence vs development of EVs & alternate Energy Sources" should cover it.

Staying on topic here, so I won't reply to any thoughts.

I consider the UK to be 5 years ahead of Thailand so UK problems now will be Thailand's problems in the future. Take a look at the number of charging stations in the UK on Zapp map compared to Thailand. My mate who sends me weekly reports, runs an MG ZS EV as a daily driver. He lives in a flat so can not charge from home. Trying to get a charging point on a Saturday or Sunday is nearly impossible. Don't even think of going to the UK seaside at the weekend and being able to charge while you visit. (Just think of all those EVs going to Pattaya and needing to find a charge point). You will have to charge before or after your visit. He recently drove to Glasgow from London in the middle of winter. Took 15 hours and five stops for charging. Regarding range remember that only a fool will let their charge drop below 20% and nobody charges above 80% due to the time required.

The future in Thailand looks frightening when you have a government minister saying that all EVs have a 500 to 600 kilo range so only 40 to 50 charging stations are needed for the whole of Thailand.