Electric Vehicles in Thailand

42 minutes ago, CLW said:

When I did my last research about comparison of ZS EV and EP I found out that the ZS has a full load of driver assistant systems but the EP almost none. Could be changed though with the new upgrade / facelift of EP. 

EP Plus now seems to have most of the same. 

Did a comparison, and red starred like features. 

EP vs ZS.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Certainly not missing anything worth paying 180k baht more for.

Benz.jpg.8c9cf585452856c1cab6891dccbb06fd.jpg

Benz EQS launched 2 models in Thailand through 4 dealers.

EQS 450+ AMG Premium Price ฿8,570,000

EQS 450+ Edition 1 Price ฿8,870,000

Mercedes-Benz has officially announced the sale price of EQS 450+ in Thailand.

2 models are AMG Premium and Edition 1.

For importation, it will be imported through four dealers including BKK Group, Benz Praram 3, Primus Autohouse and TTC Mortor.

Edited by Bandersnatch

13 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

EQS 450+ AMG Premium Price ฿8,570,000

EQS 450+ Edition 1 Price ฿8,870,000

Damn nice car, great range & feature packed.  ฿3m in the real world.

Almost reasonable.

But ฿8.6 on the way to ฿9m here  ...  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Lots of Buzz online about Tesla in Thailand over the last few hours: 

Tesla has taken an important step to enter the local market. @ekapobkul/Twitter, citing documents dated April 25, reported that the manufacturer has registered to start selling vehicles, solar, and energy storage systems in Thailand. The application was signed by Tesla’s Global Senior Director of Trade Market Access, David Jon Feinstein. The company has indicated that it is registering for sales of new passenger motor vehicles, pick-up trucks, vans, and similar light motor vehicles.

Hopefully they won't be too overpriced here.  China pricing:

Model 3 RWD, the new price for 2022 is 276,740 CNY ($43,589) or ฿1,419,918

After China's incentives of only 11,088 CNY /  ฿56,891

Tesla Model 3 RWD: 265,652 CNY / ฿1,363,027

https://insideevs.com/news/558066/china-tesla-model3y-price-increase/

T3's now priced  at ฿3m+ in Thailand

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I went onto the Tesla website and tried to configure the cheapest RHD model 3 ignoring the fuel saving discount!

1141034868_TeslaModel3StdUK.jpg.2e114bef632e7818d5d08fa2fc76a6fe.jpg

1870762199_TeslaModel3StdHK.jpg.00ef768aba658588f59dee84b5cf1739.jpg

1331506962_TeslaModel3StdAUS.jpg.c684d957356b7f991b5c409266d685c1.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:43 PM, Bandersnatch said:

I charge from my home solar system,

What are the number of solar panels, specs and costs for installing such a solar system charging an EV battery exclusively. And since I reside in Buriram which is not far from Surin, could you recommend an electrical contractor to install this system.

46 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

What are the number of solar panels, specs and costs for installing such a solar system charging an EV battery exclusively. And since I reside in Buriram which is not far from Surin, could you recommend an electrical contractor to install this system.

A 7kW wall charger requires at least 7kW of power output so a 10kW inverter and about 10kW of PV. 

solar PV is about 10 Baht/Watt. 2 x 5kW inverters would cost about 36,000Baht each installation cost vary

For info on my system I would suggest looking at my Blog:   https://EcoHouseThailand.com

My installers FB page is https://www.facebook.com/buachetsolarcell/

This recent video from my channel gives a good overview of my system

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

New MG ZS & EP have a 50.3 kWh battery, so charging at home, 0-100% @ PEA's < ฿5 per kW would only cost < ฿250 

ZS NEDC rating is 403 kms, just knocking around town, should actually get that.

EP NEDC rating is 380 kms

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

New MG ZS & EP have a 50.3 kWh battery, so charging at home, 0-100% @ PEA's < ฿5 per kW would only cost < ฿250 

ZS NEDC rating is 403 kms, just knocking around town, should actually get that.

EP NEDC rating is 380 kms

I think a good bit of power is lost when charging, you might want to factor that in id you're doing cost justification. 

But of course if you're using a "free" charger like everyone else it doesn't really matter...

Edited by Yellowtail
added text

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think a good bit of power is lost when charging, you might want to factor that in id you're doing cost justification. 

Factored in, as I used 5 baht as per kW charge, which most pay around 4.25-4.50, if not less.  So 250 is a fairly negative figure.  

I think most estimates are 15-20% loss.

image.png.ec56deef9da17d83c37cd03c638f4a16.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

A 7kW wall charger requires at least 7kW of power output so a 10kW inverter and about 10kW of PV. 

solar PV is about 10 Baht/Watt. 2 x 5kW inverters would cost about 36,000Baht each installation cost vary

For info on my system I would suggest looking at my Blog:   https://EcoHouseThailand.com

My installers FB page is https://www.facebook.com/buachetsolarcell/

This recent video from my channel gives a good overview of my system

Thanks for very useful information.

Tesla Company (Thailand) Ltd is now a registered company in Thailand, according to information found on the Department of Business Development’s website. The company registered today, on May 25, with an initial registration capital of 3 million baht.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/tesla-registers-as-a-company-in-thailand

• Like 1

Tesla decided not to choose Thailand or India for a new factory in Asia when it was looking last year stating both countries lack of government support for EVs. It has now been announced Tesla plans to build an EV and battery storage factory in Indonesia instead.

89846960_MuskIndo.jpg.fdef2178c8ed1a834285f56e4b592c2b.jpg

https://electrek.co/2022/05/20/tesla-agrees-build-battery-ev-factory-indonesia-official/

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Tesla decided not to choose Thailand or India for a new factory in Asia when it was looking last year stating both countries lack of government support for EVs. It has now been announced Tesla plans to build an EV and battery storage factory in Indonesia instead.

Not too surprising, with the obvious 'lack of support' and I guess Indonesia having 4X the potential customers than Thailand didn't hurt either.  Having the 4th largest population of the world.

China ✔️

India  ... pass ????

USA ✔️

Indonesia ✔️

If anything, it shows how screwed up and volatile India appears to the business community.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not too surprising, with the obvious 'lack of support' and I guess Indonesia having 4X the potential customers than Thailand didn't hurt either.  Having the 4th largest population of the world.

China

India

USA

Indonesia

If anything, it shows how screwed up and volatile India appears to the business community.

India is a tough crowd for sure

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, KhunLA said:

EP vs ZS.jpg

That's safety, not Driver assist features. MG EP still doesn't have adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assistant etc.. 

On 5/25/2022 at 9:17 AM, KhunLA said:

Tesla can benefit from the zero import tax for EVs from China.

Therefore the local price more or less similar with Chinese one. Minus the Thai government incentive

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

That's safety, not Driver assist features. MG EP still doesn't have adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assistant etc.. 

I actually would prefer cars not have either of those.  May make some folk think the car can almost drive by itself, safely, and they may be may apt to take their eyes off the road.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I actually would prefer cars not have either of those.  May make some folk think the car can almost drive by itself, safely, and they may be may apt to take their eyes off the road.

Agree, you still need to drive and pay attention with all your senses. Especially with those nutters here in Thailand. 

But once you've driven a car for example with an radar adaptive control, I promise you, you won't go back. So relaxing

3 minutes ago, CLW said:

Tesla can benefit from the zero import tax for EVs from China.

Therefore the local price more or less similar with Chinese one. Minus the Thai government incentive

Sure that's the game plan.  I'm actually quite surprised how inexpensive, @ China pricing, the MG EVs are here.  Especially compared to the silly price folks in the UK have to pay.

Considering the tinker cars, Wuling & POCCO are twice the cost in TH vs CH.  I probably would have bought one of those, if same price, ballpark as China's prices, such as the MGs are here. 

Would be great for my daily knock around town with the dog, instead of on the scooter.  We got spritzed on a couple times yesterday with the lightest of rain while cruising around.  Barely forming a droplet, and dry within a few minutes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

Agree, you still need to drive and pay attention with all your senses. Especially with those nutters here in Thailand. 

But once you've driven a car for example with an radar adaptive control, I promise you, you won't go back. So relaxing

Nah, cruise control is enough.  I don't need or want anything else, and I never take my eyes off the road.  Sensor can't see what I look for and see.  

When they can spot little feet under cars as I approach a market area, then I may put my faith in them.

Besides, for me, less options the better, as just something else to malfunctions.   Auto makers got drivetrains down to a science, and all the complaints seem to be about options, I do fine without.   Don't use half of them now, don't need more.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CLW said:

Interesting you say this.

I have read others agreeing you. But not everyone agrees.

I certainly don't. Both of my EVs, one of which is a very expensive all-singing, all-dancing one, have driver assist features. I hate most of them, especially the radar adaptive control. For me, it turns the car into a vehicle that is being driven by a very poor driver. Did I mention that I hate it? ????

Note: I do keep some switched on; I quite like the alert in the mirrors which inform me someone is sitting on my shoulder.

• Sad 1