Jump to content

Electric Vehicles in Thailand


Recommended Posts

For those interested, in MG ZS EV, delivery is within 6 months of contract to buy, or deposit (฿5000) refunded, if impatient.   No other date offered.  Also refunded if fail to get financing (1.99%) approved.

 

'B' model only available in Silver (gray), White or Black.  Red & Blue color is available for 'top' model.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eezergood said:

thanks a million - as my driving is very "hill heavy" i suspect I may be able to use a decent amount of re-gen ? Manik - Patong/Kathu daily I may also have the ability to trickle charge whilst at work 

If you can "trickle charge" (commonly called granny charge) at work, I guess you will rarely have to charge at home. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

@Bandersnatch

wonder if this is the green MG5 you mentioned on the video, seen at the Ayutthaya City Mall and there’s a few “ superstars “ appearing this evening .

 

 

The guy I was thinking about sold his Audi to buy and MG5 and wrapped in green 

maxresdefault.jpg.a46483c1169348a78008777081c2281b.jpg

 

2078546158_maxresdefault(1).jpg.4a29ddece5691ac824fedf98068e0e89.jpg 

 

 

Wonder if that might be the new MG5 Scorpio

https://carspiritpk.com/mg5-scorpio-launched-in-china/

 

MG5-Scorpio_08.jpg.948dffe2f2e2a0b5f1cd9c32cee8109a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, eezergood said:

Nope, most seem to be around the fuel consumption and the infotainment/ screen issues. 

About fuel / electric consumption, look at some posts in this thread. 

Both for ICE and EV cars the manufacturer numbers are never to be trusted. 

They're take from a lab test, not real road driving. 

Anyone should know this or find out in a quick Google search.

 

About the entertainment, unless it's not outdated or insufficient hardware, it can be resolved with an automatic OTA update

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CLW said:

About fuel / electric consumption, look at some posts in this thread. 

Both for ICE and EV cars the manufacturer numbers are never to be trusted. 

They're take from a lab test, not real road driving. 

Anyone should know this or find out in a quick Google search.

 

About the entertainment, unless it's not outdated or insufficient hardware, it can be resolved with an automatic OTA update

again significant FUEL (gasoline) usage over manufacturers claims - again taking posters at their word

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CLW said:

Both for ICE and EV cars the manufacturer numbers are never to be trusted. 

MG ZS (ICE) version is spot on, at manufacturers claim of 11 kpL.  Can't speak of their other models, but a good sign.  

 

Some folks even match and or exceed the ZS & EP EV model's numbers, and surely that's just for knocking around town, which if even close, anyone would be happy with.  I certainly would be.

 

Many probably aren't aware what the NEDC & WTLP (@37 & 47 kph) ratings are based on.  Not so fine print and slightest research that should be done before spending that amount on any product.

 

Oh well.  

Edited by KhunLA
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD show at Korat - I plan to visit today

 

20-22 May 2017

Apparently Google translate struggles translating Buddhist Era dates! Noticed it too late edit the post  - the year should be 2022 and not 2017!

 

Error.jpg.2a78b4fb81de264fa79fe93322370f45.jpg   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Initial update from the Low Carbon City and EV Expo in Korat Yesterday (A 6 hour round trip for me)

 

20220520_085636631_iOS.thumb.jpg.4b8ca1859c3544ce160698e220c08890.jpg

 

Battery swapping station

 

20220520_091245817_iOS.thumb.jpg.3729a6f76598cfbdf9683c0f81713579.jpg

 

20220520_091335407_iOS.thumb.jpg.2465d24e17d0d94d6955ca7bc08db6dd.jpg

1734814236_UKinThailand.jpg.26433423f8f367fd2516de38cb1ec68c.jpg

 

Electric Trucks and Buses:

 

20220520_085642634_iOS.thumb.jpg.454c83374f9a3e2ad3d708711ecba91a.jpg20220520_085626981_iOS.thumb.jpg.180d28cd8a1a0bcdf1226e69dc3eca09.jpg20220520_085617275_iOS.thumb.jpg.7d32dec9ba614135c45553a62df1451f.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been catching up on MG ZS EV vids on YT.   Came across this one, and very impressive Chiang Mai to Bangkok trip.

 

Previous trip he documented took 19+ hours ... 😳

This trip, a very impressive 9 hrs 20 mins.   Due to more fast chargers along the route.

 

Very impressive, because I put CM to BKK in Gmap, and route now, daytime, is 8 hr 37 mins, so simply 1 extra hour.  

24:00 on the vid for final numbers & thoughts:

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Video of the Korat Low Carbon City and EV Expo  - if you don't speak Thai just watch out for the phrase:

 

"Rot Fi Far Roy %"   = electric vehicle 100%

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Been catching up on MG ZS EV vids on YT.   Came across this one, and very impressive Chiang Mai to Bangkok trip.

 

Previous trip he documented took 19+ hours ... 😳

This trip, a very impressive 9 hrs 20 mins.   Due to more fast chargers along the route.

 

Very impressive, because I put CM to BKK in Gmap, and route now, daytime, is 8 hr 37 mins, so simply 1 extra hour.  

24:00 on the vid for final numbers & thoughts:

 

Wonder how this compares to the estate car? 

 

Also what was the price for the "fuel" consumption ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Wonder how this compares to the estate car? 

 

Also what was the price for the "fuel" consumption ?

If estate car = MG EP, then their specs are fairly identical.  EP is longer, ZS is higher, more ground clearance (minimal), probably more cargo area, maybe, as longer vs higher, so may be the same.  Battery size & vehicle weight about the same.  ZS's NEDC rating is only 23 kms more than EP's.   So basically comes down to styling and interior space.  Mainly headroom, and both having more than enough in front seats. 

 

And if your ego will accept driving around in a 'station wagon' vs 'SUV' ... 😂

 

Fuel consumption price ?  Not sure what you mean, but what is cost per kw at charging station, then I haven't a clue, as never really researched.  5-7-12 baht per is in my brain, so guessing in that range somewhere, and that's a major guess.   Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Edited by KhunLA
Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be incorrect, as having a hard time verifying.   But remember the sales gal stating, when ordering the ZS, that we'll be issued a 'member' card to charge at the dealers,   And ฿7-฿12 per kWh is sticking in my head.  Which I thought was quite expensive.

 

TBH, was not really paying attention to the details of that.  Since most charging will be done at home, via solar.

 

BUT ... if out & about, and I drive at daytime, and if the high rate is for daytime & their super charger, then that is only about half the price of fueling the ZS ICE, and if driving at 100-120 kph, would not get the 400 range, and more likely a 200 range, thus doubling the cost, so not much of an advantage over the ICE 'energy cost' when out & about, driving at high speed. 

 

Maybe we'll keep the ICE version a little longer ... 😂  Though will do a couple long out & abouts before receiving the EV anyway.  May be done playing tourist afterwards, well, for a few years anyway, till bored locally again ... comes in waves ... 😎

 

When petrol price were in the 25-30 baht range anyway.   As long as it stays well about 30, then saving are to be had.  Also if driving more conservative, and charging at night & slower, maybe that's at the ฿7 rate, which saving vs ICE will be realized more.

 

Again, hopefully someone with actually knowledge & experience will chime in.   As reading news-blips, I thought the Govt & PEA, had a discounted rate program for supplier at charging stations, that made it possible for them to make a tidy profit, charging in the 5 baht range.  In hopes of motivating investors to provide more charging stations countrywide.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

This may be incorrect, as having a hard time verifying.   But remember the sales gal stating, when ordering the ZS, that we'll be issued a 'member' card to charge at the dealers,   And ฿7-฿12 per kWh is sticking in my head.  Which I thought was quite expensive.

 

TBH, was not really paying attention to the details of that.  Since most charging will be done at home, via solar.

 

BUT ... if out & about, and I drive at daytime, and if the high rate is for daytime & their super charger, then that is only about half the price of fueling the ZS ICE, and if driving at 100-120 kph, would not get the 400 range, and more likely a 200 range, thus doubling the cost, so not much of an advantage over the ICE 'energy cost' when out & about, driving at high speed. 

 

Maybe we'll keep the ICE version a little longer ... 😂  Though will do a couple long out & abouts before receiving the EV anyway.  May be done playing tourist afterwards, well, for a few years anyway, till bored locally again ... comes in waves ... 😎

 

When petrol price were in the 25-30 baht range anyway.   As long as it stays well about 30, then saving are to be had.  Also if driving more conservative, and charging at night & slower, maybe that's at the ฿7 rate, which saving vs ICE will be realized more.

 

Again, hopefully someone with actually knowledge & experience will chime in.   As reading news-blips, I thought the Govt & PEA, had a discounted rate program for supplier at charging stations, that made it possible for them to make a tidy profit, charging in the 5 baht range.  In hopes of motivating investors to provide more charging stations countrywide.

I would think that one would do 90% of their driving within 100km range, I know I do. I can't think of a time in the last few months anyway that I drove more than 120km in a day.

 

Overnight charging would certainly handle that. 

 

You pretty much have a new car, it will be hard to save enough on fuel to pay for an new EV.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I would think that one would do 90% of their driving within 100km range, I know I do. I can't think of a time in the last few months anyway that I drove more than 120km in a day.

 

Overnight charging would certainly handle that. 

 

You pretty much have a new car, it will be hard to save enough on fuel to pay for an new EV.

Agree, unless out & about, most will be charging at home.  I'll take advantage of that, as I actually stay near the house.   Recently anyway, as need to be here for home build, but also, when I think about ... 'let's pop up o Hua Hin' for the day, I'm thinking, is there anything there worth spending 6-700 baht on, as that's the petrol cost for round trip.

 

I also was bored, and ran some numbers, since debating on keeping for a while, or selling the ICE right away.   And came to realize, knew already, but hate when it's in your face, car ownership is damn expensive.

 

OK, if not keeping the ICE for a longer period, but the ZS, and this is using an average of 25 baht a liter, but if selling after 35k kms on the clock.   Then cost of ownership, per day, for those 35kms / 24 months, came out to a ballpark of 630 baht per day, all in, except finance charges.

image.png.ff5fa03b868a8b6e212e571dfd387146.png

Naturally, only owning for 2 yrs, depreciation wise, is going to be more expensive/loss, than long term, and ROI should be better.

 

ZS ICE was inexpensive (750k) vs other vehicles sold, non entry level, and 25 baht per liter, much lower than what's being charge now, 32(d)-36-45-50+ depending on grade of petrol.

 

Can understand why many prefer the city, and everything in walking, scooter ride away.   Car ownership can run all in from 10-20k a month.  A considerably large chunk of one's monthly budget for the convenience.  Actually our most expensive monthly expense, purchase to operating cost, all in per month.

Edited by KhunLA
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, macahoom said:

PEA VOLTA have recently increased the cost of DC (rapid) charging. 

It used to be between 4 and 5 baht, 24/7. (Can't remember the exact figure.)

They have now introduced off peak and peak rates:

Off peak: all day Saturday and Sunday and Mon-Fri, 10pm-9am = 4.5952 baht

Peak: Mon-Fri, 9am-10pm = 7.9778 baht.

As for the other suppliers, it was December that I last used one and they were all between 4 and 5 baht if I remember correctly.

seems quite a task to find the prices online - unless you need to register etc.....

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, macahoom said:

PEA VOLTA have recently increased the cost of DC (rapid) charging. 

It used to be between 4 and 5 baht, 24/7. (Can't remember the exact figure.)

They have now introduced off peak and peak rates:

Off peak: all day Saturday and Sunday and Mon-Fri, 10pm-9am = 4.5952 baht

Peak: Mon-Fri, 9am-10pm = 7.9778 baht.

As for the other suppliers, it was December that I last used one and they were all between 4 and 5 baht if I remember correctly.

That's more of what I thought the pricing was in line with.  Why I was surprised when sales gal said 7-12 baht, although, I admit, I wasn't paying attention, and may be entirely wrong.

 

If accurate (7-12), then not much motivation to use, or much of a 'thank you' for buying a MG 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, eezergood said:

seems quite a task to find the prices online - unless you need to register etc.....

 

Noticed that myself.  Not exactly forthcoming with info.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Bear in mind that hotels with chargers are free to use. Even some restaurants.

not all - some are charging

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, eezergood said:

not all - some are charging

 

 

I'd be interested to hear which ones you know that are charging.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I'd be interested to hear which ones you know that are charging.

 

 

The charging stations at some of my sons tennis venues is charging - (was a few weeks ago) in Phuket. One has a hotel connected, one does not

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I'd be interested to hear which ones you know that are charging.

Till end of June ... free, 22 MEA points

https://www.nationthailand.com/specials/40014122

 

NOT FREE, but if out & about, reserve to avoid the imaginary Qs, everyone fears,

if all is as it should be 😀 As I believe most vendors & apps allow.

image.png.70b8bd0d92fc3a88155d23580253d4e2.png

 

 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If estate car = MG EP, then their specs are fairly identical.  EP is longer, ZS is higher, more ground clearance (minimal), probably more cargo area, maybe, as longer vs higher, so may be the same.  Battery size & vehicle weight about the same.  ZS's NEDC rating is only 23 kms more than EP's.   So basically comes down to styling and interior space.  Mainly headroom, and both having more than enough in front seats. 

 

And if your ego will accept driving around in a 'station wagon' vs 'SUV' ... 😂

 

Fuel consumption price ?  Not sure what you mean, but what is cost per kw at charging station, then I haven't a clue, as never really researched.  5-7-12 baht per is in my brain, so guessing in that range somewhere, and that's a major guess.   Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

When I did my last research about comparison of ZS EV and EP I found out that the ZS has a full load of driver assistant systems but the EP almost none. Could be changed though with the new upgrade / facelift of EP. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...