Electric Vehicles in Thailand

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

MG Thailand (SIAC Motor-CP Co. LTD) has been manufacturing Cars in Thailand including EVs at it's 3 factories at Hemaraj Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate for the past 8 years.

In October 2020 it reached a total of 100,000 MG vehicles produced in Thailand.

spacer.png

The electric only ZSEV and EP (MG5) is imported whole from China, it already enjoys 0% tariff due to Thai-China FTA

the EVs manufactured in Thailand is probably hybrids, as they consider Hybrids (HEVs) and plug-ins Hybrids EVs too I think the MG HS plugin must be the model

15 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

MG Thailand (SIAC Motor-CP Co. LTD) has been manufacturing Cars in Thailand including EVs at it's 3 factories at Hemaraj Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate for the past 8 years.

In October 2020 it reached a total of 100,000 MG vehicles produced in Thailand.

spacer.png

one would imagine that milestone would not be achieved with 99,000 unhappy customers...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yea...all those Thai reports of faulty Ora Good Cats, and how many have actually been delivered ?

Same with the new MG EP Pluses ... how many delivered in Thailand ?   Can't be that many 'true' reports out there.  IF ANY

Always that friend of a friend's cousin who read it on the internet.

Why would anyone buy a Tesla, I hear the owners are blowing them up, they are so frustrated ????

• Like 2

GWM was at Robinson Surin today. Gave me another chance to sit in the Havel H6. It is a really nice car but unfortunately only a Hybrid.

I asked the girl when she was expecting the PHEV version and found out that apparently “Plug In” is better understood than PHEV. It is coming next year.

B1070D96-55D1-4016-883D-D704C0146807.thumb.jpeg.6a4f652bd631a9e1f6d9602934bf4ab8.jpeg

CE8F4682-4DF8-4E00-A2FB-12E09397829E.thumb.jpeg.55359c5e97fd5c9f83d43cf66a570ac6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From GWM via Line:

Sources from autolifethaland, the latest information, have postponed the launch date of the world's first Haval H6 PHEV, which will be launched in Thailand this month, from the previous schedule to the end of this year at the earliest. 

Customers who are interested in further inquiries with the authorities can provide 1) the number and 2) the subject they want to inquire about on this line.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 4:28 PM, CLW said:

They're probably referring to the one widely reported malfunction of an Ora Good Cat somewhere on a mountain road in Thailand. At least all of my Thai friends telling me this story repeatedly.

To be honest, one faulty car (and probably due to a driver error), out of how many working ones? Would somebody make a news about a faulty Toyota or Mazda? 

Nope, most seem to be around the fuel consumption and the infotainment/ screen issues. 

17 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Nope, most seem to be around the fuel consumption and the infotainment/ screen issues. 

Disappointed in range is understandable for those that didn't do their research.  That's all EVs, not just OGC.

Any & every vid you see, states you won't get the rated range.  Especially if heavy use of AC, or worse, using the heater in cold weather countries.

NEDC = Not Even Damn Close.  Range rating of 400kms, and personally I wouldn't expect much more than 200 kms on the highway at speed.  NEDC's average testing speed is 37 kph.  WTLP's is at 47 kph.  That's barely knocking around town speeds.  Do 100 kph on the highway, and you ain't going near that NEDC 400 or WTLP 320 (?) km rating.

I have a couple more countrywide out & abouts planned, within the year, with the ICE.  Then see what's on offer next year, hopefully better specs & same pricing, before jumping on the EV bandwagon, as it will be mostly for knocking around town, and local (<100 kms) out & abouts.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Disappointed in range is understandable for those that didn't do their research.  That's all EVs, not just OGC.

Any & every vid you see, states you won't get the rated range.  Especially if heavy use of AC, or worse, using the heater in cold weather countries.

NEDC = Not Even Damn Close.  Range rating of 400kms, and personally I wouldn't expect much more than 200 kms on the highway at speed.  NEDC's average testing speed is 37 kph.  WTLP's is at 47 kph.  That's barely knocking around town speeds.  Do 100 kph on the highway, and you ain't going near that NEDC 400 or WTLP 320 (?) km rating.

I have a couple more countrywide out & abouts planned, within the year, with the ICE.  Then see what's on offer next year, hopefully better specs & same pricing, before jumping on the EV bandwagon, as it will be mostly for knocking around town, and local (<100 kms) out & abouts.

The issue was with the ICE fuel consumption - not the electric range. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eezergood said:

The issue was with the ICE fuel consumption - not the electric range. 

So not referring to GWMs OGC, but the hybrids.  Have to plead ignorance, and take the complaints at their word.   I know our MG ZS, unfortunately, is accurate, as rated at 11 kpL, and that IS what we get using E85.  Past ICEs here, (Vios & Mazda2) and we squeezed out 12+ to 15 kpL on really good drives.

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So not referring to GWMs OGC, but the hybrids.  Have to plead ignorance, and take the complaints at their word.   I know our MG ZS, unfortunately, is accurate, as rated at 11 kpL, and that IS what we get using E85.  Past ICEs here, (Vios & Mazda2) and we squeezed out 12+ to 15 kpL on really good drives.

Again - taking the posters at their word

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I have recounted a couple of stories on here from my chum in the UK running a MG Z EV. He has never got the quoted range in nearly 1 year of ownership. His last trip was 85 miles and he lost 120 miles of range.

29 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Maybe the cooler temperatures in the UK have a detrimental affect on the range.

In September, I will have had my MGZSEV for three years. 

I have consistently got better mileage that the officially quoted figures. 

For example:

1. Most of my driving is around Phuket. I'm getting 320kms on a full charge.

2. Here are figures for a trip I did in my MGZSEV; nearly all rural, winding roads; hilly in places.

Aircon on permanently. Eco mode. I toggle between the three KERS settings.

Distance travelled: 351.1 kms. Average speed: 59kph.
Driving time: 5 hrs 57 mins = 11.6kWh per 100kms.

With my 44.5kWh battery, that works out at a range of 383kms for a 100% charge.  

Note: The new ZS EVs have bigger batteries, so range will be significantly better.

I cannot fault the car. Brilliant!

Those number are quite impressive & surprising. ????  I browsed the 'owner's group' (mg5,ep,zs)  and most vary, and widely sometimes, depending on location.  Highway at speed, and surprised, many 200 km range or less in cold weather & heater use.   Others 250+ on highway.   Around town, and much closer to NEDC/WTLP estimates 3-350+, and to be expected.  As you your numbers show possible.

On the highway, of late, since 120 kph in the news, I seem to cruise at 110 +/- (ICE), so I think I would be on the lower end of 200 kms, hopefully above that mark.  

Next year hopefully for the EV (ZS), unless they knock a big chunk of the tinker car price.  But POCCO 500k is a bit silly for the specs.  Petrol price are damn silly, and doubtful they be coming down, or ever stable.  Besides simply enjoying being ot 2 wheels, the e-motorcycle has been good around town, and love passing the petrol station.????  About ฿5 per 100 kms vs ฿70 / ICE scooter or ฿300 / ZS (ICE).  That's a staggering difference in cost.  Just need something for rainy days. ????

1 hour ago, stratocaster said:

I have recounted a couple of stories on here from my chum in the UK running a MG Z EV. He has never got the quoted range in nearly 1 year of ownership. His last trip was 85 miles and he lost 120 miles of range.

I agree with @macahoom I have experienced the same electric range that was quoted by MG. Reports from colder countries often quote a different range for winter and summer driving. Many electric cars such as Tesla will preheat the batteries to condition them before arriving at a charging station.

Battery.jpg.7f18f9052d0a094675c31d59db7af799.jpg

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-410-charging-at-high-and-low-temperatures

On 5/12/2022 at 4:38 PM, KhunLA said:

Yea...all those Thai reports of faulty Ora Good Cats, and how many have actually been delivered ?

Same with the new MG EP Pluses ... how many delivered in Thailand ?   Can't be that many 'true' reports out there.  IF ANY

Always that friend of a friend's cousin who read it on the internet.

Why would anyone buy a Tesla, I hear the owners are blowing them up, they are so frustrated ????

I remember the faulty pussy (cat).

I exchanged for a working one.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Also took a peek, at that 27 min mark (thanks for noting that), and yea ... them folks in the UK are getting a royal F'ing.  Just a few quid over the TH price ????

Well that isn't just the case with cars !

On 5/18/2022 at 9:27 AM, macahoom said:

Maybe the cooler temperatures in the UK have a detrimental affect on the range.

In September, I will have had my MGZSEV for three years. 

I have consistently got better mileage that the officially quoted figures. 

For example:

1. Most of my driving is around Phuket. I'm getting 320kms on a full charge.

2. Here are figures for a trip I did in my MGZSEV; nearly all rural, winding roads; hilly in places.

Aircon on permanently. Eco mode. I toggle between the three KERS settings.

Distance travelled: 351.1 kms. Average speed: 59kph.
Driving time: 5 hrs 57 mins = 11.6kWh per 100kms.

With my 44.5kWh battery, that works out at a range of 383kms for a 100% charge.  

Note: The new ZS EVs have bigger batteries, so range will be significantly better.

I cannot fault the car. Brilliant!

What is your average energy bill for the car - im also in Phuket & seriously considering an EV as the second car

52 minutes ago, vinci said:

the other day i saw an MG wagon EV, the car look gorgeous from the outside, when it drove off in silence i was empress by it, smooth as butter.

Station wagon ? ( Estate in the U.K. ) 

That would be the EP ( MG 5 ) in the U.K., have to agree it does look nice, have seen with and without roof rails and much prefer it with the rails as it doesn’t have a roof antenna ( shark fin or otherwise ) and, imho, looks a little bland without .

With the current government subsidy is a great price right now and are in demand, unfortunately a long wait due to battery related parts.

• Like 1

Just enquired at an MG booth in my local mall about availability of the EP , apparently advance booking is closed and doesn’t appear to be available again until next year , people taking advantage of the subsidy it would appear. No mention of how long delivery takes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

I’ve had the MGZS EV since September 2019. Almost all of my charging has been done at Central Festival for free, so if I quote the energy bill for my car it will not answer your question.

Maybe this will help: My electric at home costs about 4 baht per unit. If I charge my MG at home, it will cost me 150-180 baht per 300 kms. Of course, it depends how heavy your right foot is, and how efficiently you employ the brake regeneration.

Unfortunately, starting from this week, charging at Central is no longer free. It was good while it lasted!

Here are a couple of calculators which may help you. Unfortunately neither of them are set up for baht or kilometres - you’ll have to convert the figures to suit Thailand.

https://insights.leaseplan.co.uk/ev-tools/ev-cost-per-mile-calculator/

https://www.inchcalculator.com/electric-vehicle-charging-cost-calculator/

While I'm at it, let me mention servicing: MG did my 50,000 km service yesterday. There have been a total of 5 or 6 services since new. Only two were done in the dealership. The rest, including yesterday's, were done in my garage. The MG guys come to my house with nothing but a laptop. Brilliant!

All the services, except for one, have been free. The one I had to pay for was a little over 1000 baht. Also brilliant!

thanks a million - as my driving is very "hill heavy" i suspect I may be able to use a decent amount of re-gen ? Manik - Patong/Kathu daily I may also have the ability to trickle charge whilst at work 

• Like 1