Electric Vehicles in Thailand

Just now, KhunLA said:

And for those that don't know, 'TH state owned' oil producer PTT's wholly owned subsidy Arun Plus, will be building the Horizon EVs.

Let that little tidbit sink in, if you think EVs aren't the future in TH.

Electric cars are the future, but not yet in LOS, unless you install home charging and trust your cheap purchase longevity....????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

BYD Seal’s Glass roof has a solution for hot climates, which Tesla doesn’t include and I am not talking about the ventilated seats.

Jump to 13:13 in the video (apologies the video is in Thai, but it does have hard coded English subs)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD Seal’s Glass roof has a solution for hot climates, which Tesla doesn’t include and I am not talking about the ventilated seats.

Jump to 13:13 in the video (apologies the video is in Thai, but it does have hard coded English subs)

Seems like a pita to carry and fit that screen .

A lot of Atto 3 users have been buying that foam with aluminium foil both sides, 10 mm thick, to block out the sun, fitting it between the sunshade and sunroof , others using 80% film to keep cool .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems like a pita to carry and fit that screen .

A lot of Atto 3 users have been buying that foam with aluminium foil both sides, 10 mm thick, to block out the sun, fitting it between the sunshade and sunroof , others using 80% film to keep cool .

I was thinking about doing the exact same thing with the foam as I have still have some laying around after insulating my house.

Sunroof/Glass-roofs in Thailand make no sense at all.

20210709_075920015_ios.jpg.bc40907dc6fea3f2c4e9b920fa8f8fe3.jpg

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I was thinking about doing the exact same thing with the foam as I have still have some laying around after insulating my house.

Yes, a few have diy’ed it themselves but you can buy also.

This one on Lazada comes with suckers to keep it in place.

IMG_0333.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2023 at 2:38 PM, Bandersnatch said:

Neither do dark-colored cars.

Here’s a little look at the Honda e:Ny1 , most likely will make an appearance here , as a next step up from the HR-V Hybrid.

First glance is a nice front end , familiar rear end, kinda bland interior, large battery but not so large range (?) and a small boot.

A 15” portrait screen is a step up from Honda’s usual play it safe style but have to keep up with the competition, the screen splits into 3 so a lot of info ( maybe too much ) can be

easily accessible.

The lovely Imogen doesn’t give away too many details in this video, or maybe i was distracted ?, but still worth a watch if you are interested in a Honda ………. or an Imogen ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

I was quite impressed with the Honda e when it was released back in 2020, but I feel that the e:Ny1 is a step backwards design wise.

IMG_0380.jpeg.8f0882bac0a04e1a7da4d71b66ee1cc6.jpegIMG_0378.jpeg.c973bf90b9456f79df49c2bcc8916b85.jpeg

On the Honda e the two screens idea is great even if the operating system looks a little antiquated, but the ability of the passenger setting up the sat nav on their screen and sliding it over to yours, for example, is a cool idea, not too sure about the screens replacing the wing mirrors though, seems like a lot of tech to replace a piece of mirrored glass although the images do appear very clear and effective when raining or at night .

The pop out door handles with key proximity, personal wallpaper options for the screens and customisable widgets plus single pedal driving are all great ideas but I think the price and poor range is its downfall , at a similar price to the MG4 and with around half the range.

The Honda e:Ny1 seems to have resisted the urge to provide anything new with the exception of the large screen and simply adopted the HR-V platform, almost seems like giving it a fancy new name slightly misleading.

• Like 1

If things go according to plan. I will soon be in the market for a new EV as a second car. Range will not be a main criteria as I already have the Haval H6 PHEV for long trips. 

Main consideration will be a price, <1 million baht. Currently shortlisted MG4 and BYD Dolphin. Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Are the models in Thailand utilising lithium iron phosphate batteries?

Yes, ZS is LFP, so expecting a long life barring any oops:

LFP Battery cycle.png

image.png.d0909dde1a6a5ab4d03531ecc8e025fd.png

https://zecar.com/resources/what-are-lfp-nmc-nca-batteries-in-electric-cars

and available for modular replacement

image.png.92d8e772fc313c5773e56dc0d2e8d4b6.png

https://www.mgenergysystems.eu/en/products/lfp-12v/#:~:text=This robust 12 V battery,in a high energy density.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Too late to edit, but ZS, ES, MG4 have LFP. 

EP PLUS ?

image.png.9aca35a20198852e45d66d71aca3eac6.png

https://www.mgcars.com/th/mg-models/new-mg4-electric/price

"As for the MG ES, it comes with a new generation of 8 Layer Hair Pin electric motors, providing a maximum power of 177 horsepower and a maximum torque of 280 Nm, equipped with a 51 kWh Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) battery pack . 412 km per charge (NEDC standard) with 3-level adjustable KERS energy recovery system"

https://www.autofun.co.th/news/2023-mg-es-vs-mg-ep-comparison-64415

LFP (already linked previous post)

image.png.889aab361ec7b45f7f0cbb8ae1b58f51.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1